Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cerys Mathews

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There was that Secret Santa / Easter Bunny make someone a CD thread running for a couple of years. One of the first tracks on the first CD i made on it was Tony Joe White

After reading the reviews, I regretted not taking part in that. I would have been very happy to have had some of those selections land on my doorstep and in return could have resisted the temptation to just send all four sides of 'Metal Machine Music'.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Talking of John Peel. Does anyone remember when he had a daytime show rather than his evening slot? It was around 1974/75. I don't know how long it lasted or why it was changed but it was always a strange move

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Talking of John Peel. Does anyone remember when he had a daytime show rather than his evening slot? It was around 1974/75. I don't know how long it lasted or why it was changed but it was always a strange move

Before my time but I do remember in the early-90s that Radio 1 had the brilliant idea of putting Peel and a few of the other evening DJs in the slots vacated by the DJs doing the Radio 1 roadshows. One day he even played a Dutch bouncy techno track. I think, surprisingly, the two Marks went from their evening to afternoon show very successfully but the breakfast show was an unmitigated disaster, even they said so. I'm not so keen on Mark Radcliffe's show anymore but am an avid listener of Marc Riley. As with someone saying about Kershaw, Riley's enthusiasm is infectious.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Before my time but I do remember in the early-90s that Radio 1 had the brilliant idea of putting Peel and a few of the other evening DJs in the slots vacated by the DJs doing the Radio 1 roadshows. One day he even played a Dutch bouncy techno track. I think, surprisingly, the two Marks went from their evening to afternoon show very successfully but the breakfast show was an unmitigated disaster, even they said so. I'm not so keen on Mark Radcliffe's show anymore but am an avid listener of Marc Riley. As with someone saying about Kershaw, Riley's enthusiasm is infectious.

Am also a fan of Marc Riley's show though I tend to listen to it on BBC I Player at work rather than as its broadcast. Some very good sessions and Peel By Request. I have got hundreds of Peel shows on cassette all dated from the 80s and 90s but never really listen to them any more as can find them online.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I saw Peel DJ at Tribal Gathering at about 5 in the afternoon to a three quarters empty tent. He played gabba. He played The Fall. He played Status Quo. He played anything he damn well pleased. People were confused/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus. This thread is quite a few minutes of my life I'm never going to get back.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have quite a love/hate relationship with 6Music but Cerys is one of the highlights. Fantastic to hear such a range of unfamiliar music on a Sunday morning.

Compare and contrast with Mary Anne Bleeding Hobbs and her faux enthusiasm/laughter and the earnest but terminally dull Lamacq.

6Music is my station of choice but it overplays the same old stuff far too much ... Sheena is a Punk Rocker seems to be on every day. Cerys clearly puts a lot of effort into her playlist.

I only really go to 6 music for Gilles Peterson, having followed him there from various graveyard shifts on Radio 1. A three hour show of musical dot joining is enough to make 6music runner up to Radio 3 for me.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Not really sure of the point of the OP but I only managed to catch the last half hour today due to kids' football. It was absolutely wonderful, slide guitar and bluegrass and an old Led Zep session featuring in her four guitar-led selections. 6 Music is utterly BRILLIANT on a Sunday. I often have it on all day or at least until Guy Garvey finishes.

There was that Secret Santa / Easter Bunny make someone a CD thread running for a couple of years. One of the first tracks on the first CD i made on it was Tony Joe White

Was it this one?

Or maybe this?

Could have been this I suppose.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I read a great story about Cerys Mathews and a certain Welsh crooner on another forum. The story was quickly taken down by mods after the site owner got a threatening email from Mathews lawyer. I won't repeat the story here as I don't want to get Bozza into trouble, but the phrase "not now eh boyo!" is the phrase of choice now whenever you are interrupted on the job.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I read a great story about Cerys Mathews and a certain Welsh crooner on another forum. The story was quickly taken down by mods after the site owner got a threatening email from Mathews lawyer. I won't repeat the story here as I don't want to get Bozza into trouble, but the phrase "not now eh boyo!" is the phrase of choice now whenever you are interrupted on the job.

Interesting.. my own snippet.

In 1998, the company i worked for, got Holsten Pils to sponsor the Manics tour which had Catatonia as support. I totally spawned a job being a roadie for HP, following the tour around Britain for a month, pushing HP in the venues, and in the bands dressing rooms etc.

The Manics tried to renege on the deal (unsuccessfully) and subsequently gave up booze for the whole month :rolleyes: but our Cerys seemed happy enough, and went on stage carrying bottles a few times too. :drink::drink:
Although she was a well known caner, the very brief couple of times i chatted to her she was all good, and looked like lots of fun.. (and clearly had no interest in me..:love:)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
is she the welsh bint who was on get me out of here
if so a waste of space

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here