Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cerys Mathews

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think that's strictly true. On a weekday night most DJs on Radio 1 were playing indie music. There was Steve Lamacq, Andy Kershaw, Janice Long and Radcliffe/Riley all playing whatever they wanted. Whispering Bob Harris also and on a Sunday evening was Brighton's own Annie Nightingale.

Sorry, my fault, I should have made that a bit clearer, I was referring to the slightly earlier era when genuinely indie music was invariably punk. Say period 1976-1979? Most of these, apart from Annie Nightingale and the surprisingly open-minded Whispering Bob, weren't broadcasting then. In fact Marc Riley was playing in The Fall for much of that period, as you know.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I don't think that's strictly true. On a weekday night most DJs on Radio 1 were playing indie music. There was Steve Lamacq, Andy Kershaw, Janice Long and Radcliffe/Riley all playing whatever they wanted. Whispering Bob Harris also and on a Sunday evening was Brighton's own Annie Nightingale.
When I was growing up, Peel was on the 10PM to midnight slot - Andy Kershaw just before. Andy Kershaw would almost certainly have not got into Dee-Jaying had John Peel not led the way. I'm sure Steve Lamacq (who was much later) and the 2 Marc's (ditto) would cite John Peel as a major influence. Annie Nightingale (though entertaining) was for much of her career much more mainstream than John Peel.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
When I was growing up, Peel was on the 10PM to midnight slot - Andy Kershaw just before. Andy Kershaw would almost certainly have not got into Dee-Jaying had John Peel not led the way. I'm sure Steve Lamacq (who was much later) and the 2 Marc's (ditto) would cite John Peel as a major influence. Annie Nightingale (though entertaining) was for much of her career much more mainstream than John Peel.
Apologies if unclear. I wasn't trying to downplay Peel's influence. Just that like you, this was my listening experience in the mid-80s onwards. I bloody loved it.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Apologies if unclear. I wasn't trying to downplay Peel's influence. Just that like you, this was my listening experience in the mid-80s onwards. I bloody loved it.
That's fab - we've got common ground here. There clearly was a strict play-list to that point at Radio 1 which didn't reflect the broad variety that many of us would have liked. Andy Kershaw's enthusiasm for what he was playing was really infectious. I guess that would be the show that would most closely relate to the Cerys show. Away from Radio 1, I would enjoy Stuart Henry on Luxembourg as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
She didn't play any Rolling Stones, Dire Straits or Oasis, proving once again just how marginalized middle aged white men are on the wireless.

Plink plonk plink plonk isn't proper music is it?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not really sure of the point of the OP but I only managed to catch the last half hour today due to kids' football. It was absolutely wonderful, slide guitar and bluegrass and an old Led Zep session featuring in her four guitar-led selections. 6 Music is utterly BRILLIANT on a Sunday. I often have it on all day or at least until Guy Garvey finishes.

I don't like everything she plays, but would rather listen to a radio show that challenges and surprises than one that regurgitates all the same stuff I have in my record collection. As well as playing some stuff I'd only want to hear once, 6 Music has introduced me to some great new artists and some old ones that had passed me by. I'm currently mopping up the back catalogue of Jenny Lewis thanks to 6 Music playing this corker some time back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWtFbh0PLU

Cerys has just played Tony Joe White, who's responsible for great things like this: Who else is going to do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYbWAwj3Krc

There was that Secret Santa / Easter Bunny make someone a CD thread running for a couple of years. One of the first tracks on the first CD i made on it was Tony Joe White

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah, this is another of your ironic threads, is it? Hilarious. No, really.
No not really, my point still stands.

Cerys played a couple of cracking tunes this morning, but they rather stood out against the rest, causing me to start this.

I just thought I'd have a play with the 'you've got an off button' brigade, as this is hardly a serious thread, what with it being entirely about personal choice.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I just thought I'd have a play with the 'you've got an off button' brigade...

Really? You came on here deliberately looking to argue the toss with people who suggest that if you don't like a radio DJ that you might care to switch to one of the thousands of others available. You strange dull man.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really? You came on here deliberately looking to argue the toss with people who suggest that if you don't like a radio DJ that you might care to switch to one of the thousands of others available. You strange dull man.
But I haven't argued the toss with anyone, other than you now, which is your version of normal and yet I'm strange.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I just thought I'd have a play with the 'you've got an off button' brigade, as this is hardly a serious thread,.

So we now in addition to the posting of wrong facts (see #175 of Lets catch the scumbag who dud this) we have the defence of its not a serious thread so it doesn't really matter what I say.

I'm sure everyone will what to join me in thanking you for adding value to these threads and fully appreciate your contributions

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So we now in addition to the posting of wrong facts (see #175 of Lets catch the scumbag who dud this) we have the defence of its not a serious thread so it doesn't really matter what I say.

I'm sure everyone will what to join me in thanking you for adding value to these threads and fully appreciate your contributions
'I don't like Cerys' 'I really like Cerys', is hardly a serious thread.

I started this as I was listening to whatever she was playing thinking, not for the first time this morning, 'blimey Charlie'.

It turns out to have been a half decent thread on eclectic music and for some a good trip down memory lane.
Having already used the words wireless and tape deck (Granddad status) I made a comment about pretty much every other bloody station out there, so it doesn't really matter what I say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here