Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cerys Mathews

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Doesn't have play some shite on the wireless.

Are you mad!? The little I've heard of her show is pretty good for my tastes. I love her accent too. For the very best in an eclectic radio show though Radio 3's Late Junction was probably the original and still the best. You should open your ears up SB.

You should try some Dandelion Radio- they played this cover earlier.

Had the album this if from for a good while. Cracking stuff from beginning to end :thumbsup:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
She didn't play any Rolling Stones, Dire Straits or Oasis, proving once again just how marginalized middle aged white men are on the wireless.

It doesn't take much to find Absolute Radio with their dedicate channels for the 60s 70s... or the many Classic rock stations where you can listen to music for you tastes

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
'
I made a comment about pretty much every other bloody station out there,

I can only assume that you edited these comments as I have not been able to locate any comments about other radio stations, but if you believe you have thats all that matters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you mad!? The little I've heard of her show is pretty good for my tastes. I love her accent too. For the very best in an eclectic radio show though Radio 3's Late Junction was probably the original and still the best. You should open your ears up SB.
It's just not for me.
Most Sundays I go to Cerys as I don't want a day of Stones, Oasis etc, I have to listen to that all week at work.
I do try but it never lasts long.

This morning I went considerably longer than usual hence the thread.

The tracks she probably considers as mainstream are about as far as I go 'out there'.
That said this morning I enjoyed some Muddy Waters and Joy Division, to name two, which I'm unlikely to find together anywhere else on the wireless.

But as said this is just an opinion thread, which it seems some people have enjoyed, which is nice.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm confused now. You don't want to listen to Oasis, Dire Straits or Rolling Stones (or do you? You also bemoaned the lack of airplay for these) but you're not happy with the different stuff that Cerys plays. You also accused her of, goodness knows what in saying she probably doesn't even like the music she plays. You weren't looking for an argument but your opening gambit is that a lot of what she plays is "shit".

I think the biggest thing to take from this thread is that there are a fair few middle-aged blokes, myself included, who don't recognise the stereotype you put for them. I've just had a look at what she was playing to see what you were moaning about: Presley, Stones, Fleetwood Mac, John Grant, Benny Goodman, 2Pac, Donna Summers, Damien Jurado, Sam and Dave, Aretha, Led Zep, John Le Hooker, Scott Joplin, Louis Armstrong....and these are just the ones I've heard of!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/tracks/6music/2016/02/07/10AM

You're not going to ever find a DJ that plays only tracks you'll like but her show today was loaded with a lot of classic names and I think if you think that a lot of it was shit then sorry but the problem is with you, Stat Brother. It ain't with Cerys.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm confused now. You don't want to listen to Oasis, Dire Straits or Rolling Stones (or do you? You also bemoaned the lack of airplay for these) but you're not happy with the different stuff that Cerys plays. You also accused her of, goodness knows what in saying she probably doesn't even like the music she plays. You weren't looking for an argument but your opening gambit is that a lot of what she plays is "shit".

I think the biggest thing to take from this thread is that there are a fair few middle-aged blokes, myself included, who don't recognise the stereotype you put for them. I've just had a look at what she was playing to see what you were moaning about: Presley, Stones, Fleetwood Mac, John Grant, Benny Goodman, 2Pac, Donna Summers, Damien Jurado, Sam and Dave, Aretha, Led Zep, John Le Hooker, Scott Joplin, Louis Armstrong....and these are just the ones I've heard of!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/tracks/6music/2016/02/07/10AM

You're not going to ever find a DJ that plays only tracks you'll like but her show today was loaded with a lot of classic names and I think if you think that a lot of it was shit then sorry but the problem is with you, Stat Brother. It ain't with Cerys.
I wasn't being serious, hence picking on the mainstay of every other Absolute, Radio X and Heart (Thinking about it I guess this doesn't belong here as it's more Adele FM) type station, which might as well be entitled Radio Bloke.
Or by saying she prefers One Direction to her own playlist.
Taking any comment seriously that has 'marginalized middle aged white man' in it, really isn't my failing.

You don't or refuse to see my poor attempts at humour, taking every work written to be literal.
That's fine, I just don't see why you would want to concentrate on that as opposed to enjoying the music Cerys/Peel aspect of the thread which you clearly enjoy and are passionate about.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I wasn't being serious, hence picking on the mainstay of every other Absolute, Radio X and Heart type station, which might as well be entitled Radio Bloke.
Or by saying she prefers One Direction to her own playlist.
Taking any comment seriously that has 'marginalized middle aged white man' in it, really isn't my failing.

You don't or refuse to see my poor attempts at humour, taking every work written to be literal.
That's fine, I just don't see why you would want to concentrate on that as opposed to enjoying the music Cerys/Peel aspect of the thread which you clearly enjoy and are passionate about.

But when I asked if this was another of your ironic threads you said:

No not really, my point still stands. Cerys played a couple of cracking tunes this morning, but they rather stood out against the rest, causing me to start this

*walks away even more confused than before*

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But when I asked if this was another of your ironic threads you said:

*walks away even more confused than before*
Then lets walk away.
I wasn't being ironic, just attempting to throw in some lighthearted joking around.
Which would appear to have all missed, such is life.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think that's strictly true. On a weekday night most DJs on Radio 1 were playing indie music. There was Steve Lamacq, Andy Kershaw, Janice Long and Radcliffe/Riley all playing whatever they wanted. Whispering Bob Harris also and on a Sunday evening was Brighton's own Annie Nightingale.

I think the oprevious oposter meant 1967 (Perfumed Garden) through to the Top Gear programme Tuesdays and Thursdays in the early 70s. In 1967 there was literally nothing like Peel. In the early 70s you had Whispering Bob Harris (Monday, I think) playing some pleasant West Coast stuff like Morning and Love, Pete Drummond on Friday, playing some interesting but fairy conventional music such as the Pretty Things, and Kevin Ayers, with (innovative this) sequences of uninterupted tracks with sound effects between tracks. On Wednesday it was something a bit less good; can't remember actually - may have been Tommy Vance plying Rock. All the while Peel was playing a mix of Blues, Kraut Rock, Folk, Heavy Rock . . . I dodn't like much of it initially, but by around 75 I guess I liked 95% of it (especially the emergence of dub reggae and punk).

I found a link last year to hundreds of peel shows that are downloadable. I have barely scratched the surface, listening wise. Quite emotional, hearing it. Some folks had very nice proper expensive tape recorders back in the day, and have now painstakingly put them all into MP3 format.

As for CM, I am not a blues fan, or a country fan, but her programme is a good listen, and she comes across as very knowledgable, and sounds like she just wants to share it with the listener. What's not to like?

Cheers!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I have quite a love/hate relationship with 6Music but Cerys is one of the highlights. Fantastic to hear such a range of unfamiliar music on a Sunday morning.

Compare and contrast with Mary Anne Bleeding Hobbs and her faux enthusiasm/laughter and the earnest but terminally dull Lamacq.

6Music is my station of choice but it overplays the same old stuff far too much ... Sheena is a Punk Rocker seems to be on every day. Cerys clearly puts a lot of effort into her playlist.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think the oprevious oposter meant 1967 (Perfumed Garden) through to the Top Gear programme Tuesdays and Thursdays in the early 70s. In 1967 there was literally nothing like Peel. In the early 70s you had Whispering Bob Harris (Monday, I think) playing some pleasant West Coast stuff like Morning and Love, Pete Drummond on Friday, playing some interesting but fairy conventional music such as the Pretty Things, and Kevin Ayers, with (innovative this) sequences of uninterupted tracks with sound effects between tracks. On Wednesday it was something a bit less good; can't remember actually - may have been Tommy Vance plying Rock. All the while Peel was playing a mix of Blues, Kraut Rock, Folk, Heavy Rock . . . I dodn't like much of it initially, but by around 75 I guess I liked 95% of it (especially the emergence of dub reggae and punk).

I found a link last year to hundreds of peel shows that are downloadable. I have barely scratched the surface, listening wise. Quite emotional, hearing it. Some folks had very nice proper expensive tape recorders back in the day, and have now painstakingly put them all into MP3 format.

As for CM, I am not a blues fan, or a country fan, but her programme is a good listen, and she comes across as very knowledgable, and sounds like she just wants to share it with the listener. What's not to like?

Cheers!

Yup, you're spot on. I was selfishly thinking that when people mention Peel and indie that they are talking about the 80s onwards but of course, he goes right back to the earliest days.

I remember when I was little, my mum had a "10 years of Radio 1" album - obviously released in 1977 and had a picture of the then current Radio 1 DJs and they all look remarkably pleased with themselves, Kid Jensen, DLT, Noel Edmonds, Simon Bates, Fluff Freeman, Savile were all there being very chummy and standing at the very end looking very awkward was John Peel. Each DJ had a little bio too and Peel's was very short and succinct. Something along the lines of "There's lots of great bands out there that I've had the privilege of playing. Bands such as Generation X. You haven't heard of them? Don't worry - you will."

Dunno why but that always stuck with me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would suggest refraining from posting any future lighthearted joking as clearly your sense of humour is an acquired taste which other than yourself no one else gets
Clearly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here