Celtic Agree Virgo Fee

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
i'm gutted, was hoping he would have stayed, but its good money, would have liked to have seen him club captain, oh well, all the best Virgs, thanx for the memories (against swindon :clap2: )

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The Great Cornholio said:
TV Cards in a PC can receive Ceefax and save it as a jpg.

clever

I'm stunned. Great player, will really be missed, but a great opportunity for the lad, albeit at a lower standard of football!

Money will go in to the great black hole, although Knight has said McGhee will get some it it, so fingers crossed for a couple of new players.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Soton Seagull said:
I'm stunned. Great player, will really be missed, but a great opportunity for the lad, albeit at a lower standard of football!

Money will go in to the great black hole, although Knight has said McGhee will get some it it, so fingers crossed for a couple of new players.
Knight always says Mcghee will get some and f*** all happens and I know he has no choice but hey why say that we all know the situation. Good luck Virgs, ya Tim

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
It's the same wherever you are these days. Clubs can't hold onto players if they want to go. And even if they don't want to, money's always talked.

By the sounds of people on here, he's a smashing bloke too, so good luck to him I say.

We're still staying up.

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
£1.5 million we as a club have done ok and good for Virgo.
Best of luck Adam and thanks for the memories. :clap: :clap:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
:ohmy: :( :) in that order I think.

Have to say I'm sad to see him go, really am and obvious concerns about our ability to stay up without him. That said, DK and Martin Perry are just the nuts for negotiating Celtic up to that amount. Lump sum in one. Not that I think for one minute we'll spend a quarter of that but it ensures we've got a club to support for another season and that's the reality of the matter until F-day. We've now got that and something to play with in the transfer scene, with Harding's money yet to come. The greatest chairman we've ever had, pulled off master stroke after master stroke year after year. In the early 80's and 90's our youth team products made the odd appearance on the bench before the inevitable move to Bexhill or Bognor came knocking. Now look at 'em; Harding, Virgs and what's his name to Villa, plus there's more to come with JR, Hammond and Hinsh.

In the face of overwhelming adversity we alway seem to come up trumps and McGuee's proved he's the best manager we've had in DK's time and he's had some stiff competition lets face it. He undoubtably should take his share of the credit for setting this up with his old mate Gordon. The youth team is turning into an elite production line like Crewe's and that's the most important trait in any club bar none.

I'm now almost complacent about their ability to lead us through the darkness into the promised one day with a home of our own. Accept it will be a gut-wretching rollercoaster, take a seat and hang-on basically. Season after season! Three cheers for the Brighton Board and Management teams!! Roll-on Derby!!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I'm shocked and rather saddened by the news but that's the way it is until we get the Stadium and it's very good business.

Adam, if you're reading these pages, thanks for everything you did at the Albion. It was great to see a local lad, a Brighton fan, come up through the ranks and become one of our best players. No-one will ever forget your last minute header against Swindon and wonderful goals last season to help keep us up. Although you're only 22, you were already well on the way to becoming an Albion legend. All the best at Celtic and I'm sure you'll be playing for the full Scotland team soon.

The key thing now is that Mcghee and Knight must move quickly in the transfer market to bring in the players we need to survive.
A pacey central defender, a creative midfielder, a winger and a proven goalscorer and maybe Blayney will be back on the agenda now?

I wonder how much MM will get to spend? At least half a million?

Assuming he'll pass the medical of course!

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
portlock seagull said:
:ohmy: :( :) in that order I think.

Have to say I'm sad to see him go, really am and obvious concerns about our ability to stay up without him. That said, DK and Martin Perry are just the nuts for negotiating Celtic up to that amount. Lump sum in one. Not that I think for one minute we'll spend a quarter of that but it ensures we've got a club to support for another season and that's the reality of the matter until F-day. We've now got that and something to play with in the transfer scene, with Harding's money yet to come. The greatest chairman we've ever had, pulled off master stroke after master stroke year after year. In the early 80's and 90's our youth team products made the odd appearance on the bench before the inevitable move to Bexhill or Bognor came knocking. Now look at 'em; Harding, Virgs and what's his name to Villa, plus there's more to come with JR, Hammond and Hinsh.

In the face of overwhelming adversity we alway seem to come up trumps and McGuee's proved he's the best manager we've had in DK's time and he's had some stiff competition lets face it. He undoubtably should take his share of the credit for setting this up with his old mate Gordon. The youth team is turning into an elite production line like Crewe's and that's the most important trait in any club bar none.

I'm now almost complacent about their ability to lead us through the darkness into the promised one day with a home of our own. Accept it will be a gut-wretching rollercoaster, take a seat and hang-on basically. Season after season! Three cheers for the Brighton Board and Management teams!! Roll-on Derby!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
I have never posted on here but I am in total shock. We already have one of the least equipped low staffed teams in the division. I guess the mystery Virgo injury in Le Havre and the fact we have trialled a defender and striker all make sense now. What doesn't make sense is losing our best player of last year.
Yes yes, I am intelligent enough to realise that we really really do need the money and also that we should never stand in the way of a young player's development, but I am sure you will all agree that Adam was happy at the Albion and given the choice, he would have loved to have stayed with the club and run out (possibly) as captain at Falmer. I guess even he is a martyr to the club he loves and I am sure that is also why he has agreed to go, but with that he also has to see the club he loves suffer and stuggle even more.
Surely, as we've all been told, the money for Falmer (building etc) is already there come the decision, then we could have held out for a couple of months??
I do really wish Virgs all the best and I am sure he will really shine at his new club. I just hope now (and with the Harding money) that MM can make some canny signings for us - No Maheta's please!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
portlock seagull said:
The youth team is turning into an elite production line like Crewe's

Hardly, but I get (kinda) what you are saying

Some strange, slightly melodramatic posts on this thread and others re: Virgo tonight

£1.5 million in today's football climate is brilliant business. People saying stuff like "I'm gutted" is slightly OTT in my opinion....he was a good player but no Bobby (different player I know)

2-3 new players will replace AV, and make the squad stronger

Lets just off-load London Irish's lovechild and I'll be really happy ;)

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
:shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself

Sorry newbie, but read my previous post re: melodramatic posts ;)

Melodramatic maybe but not over the top. He was by far our best player last season. Have you seen the transfer market? It's not full of good utillity players like Virgs and if you've seen any of our friendly's you'll know that we are gonna be in big trouble come the start of the season. If nothing else we'll be knackered with such a small squad.

I know it's good bussiness and a very good price. I just hope MM can make real use of the money and find us some more useful signings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports