Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cecil Parkinson - Good bye and Good riddance

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Seriously, is there any need for such vitriol? Calm down for Cliff's sake!

How do you respond when being misquoted and then being called a 'moron'?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
My last piece on this and a scenario for you.

So one of our Albion or musical heroes passes away; turns out they had a kid who they didn't acknowledge.

Is it goodbye and good riddance? Or is it RIP and I'm gutted to hear of this, my hero etc etc but don't worry about the past; he was misunderstood?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
My last piece on this and a scenario for you.

So one of our Albion or musical heroes passes away; turns out they had a kid who they didn't acknowledge.

Is it goodbye and good riddance? Or is it RIP and I'm gutted to hear of this, my hero etc etc but don't worry about the past; he was misunderstood?

In most cases 'moral' condemnation of an action is influenced by numerous factors. Being wealthy, a politician, a Tory and part of Mrs T's cabinet all influence the level of invective.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The OP just wanted to declare his happiness that a member of Mrs Thatcher's government had died.

And used the fact that he had a daughter that he rejected to say as such. Classy.

Really! I take it you hold him in high esteem then and think nothing of his attitude to his own flesh and blood just because he is a Conservative.

Out of interest, are you a father (or mother) and if so, would you do to your kids what he did to one of his.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Interesting read and possibly true although civil servants negative views on ministers are often reciprocated. I did refer to only some of his accomplishments in government and specifically overseeing the 83 election campaign which when considering the state of the opposition was an important must win election for the good of the country.

Do you know how much influence he had on the election campaign? The Tories were widely regarded as the clear favourites riding the crest of a wave of a growing economy, a victory in the Falklands and the fact that the opposition were led by a donkey jacket wearing left winger. I personally don't know what he did but I suspect that they could have employed Tony Benn as their campaign manager and still won.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The OP just wanted to declare his happiness that a member of Mrs Thatcher's government had died.

And used the fact that he had a daughter that he rejected to say as such. Classy.

you think thats classy you should read some of things on any(and there are a few) of the threads about Corbyn

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Do you know how much influence he had on the election campaign? The Tories were widely regarded as the clear favourites riding the crest of a wave of a growing economy, a victory in the Falklands and the fact that the opposition were led by a donkey jacket wearing left winger. I personally don't know what he did but I suspect that they could have employed Tony Benn as their campaign manager and still won.

Haven't the foggiest and your analysis of the political landscape is probably more or less accurate but give me a break there isn't exactly a long list of political achievements to support my valiant but obviously futile rearguard action. :wink:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Actually fast forward over 30 years, and your post is fairly close to the political situation now.....minus the jacket that is on today's donkey.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Haven't the foggiest and your analysis of the political landscape is probably more or less accurate but give me a break there isn't exactly a long list of political achievements to support my valiant but obviously futile rearguard action. :wink:

Nice one! :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I am sure there were plenty of tories around at the time who had a list of achievements depending on your political bias, Parkinson however is
was not one of them.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Really! I take it you hold him in high esteem then and think nothing of his attitude to his own flesh and blood just because he is a Conservative.
Out of interest, are you a father (or mother) and if so, would you do to your kids what he did to one of his.

I don't hold him in high esteem Drew and no I would never neglect my kids.

It's just quite obvious that you have a dislike of Mrs Thatcher's government. Nothing wrong with that, just be honest.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't hold him in high esteem Drew and no I would never neglect my kids.

It's just quite obvious that you have a dislike of Mrs Thatcher's government. Nothing wrong with that, just be honest.

Fact is I did vote for the Tories in 1983 but then got a new perspective and don't agree with a lot of what they did and how they went about it. So, yes, I don't like the Thatcher government just as I don't like Cameron's but that wasn't why I started the thread. It just seems that a lot of 'current tories', not all but a few, can't see past the colour of his politics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here