Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cars

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The new top of the range BMW and Alfa SUVs. BMW outsell Alfa by a ridiculous percentage. All I can say is WTF?

View attachment 159657View attachment 159658
It’s all about the status isn’t it, and societal sheep don’t possess the ability to look outside of the box. Stay at home wife needs a massive 4x4 Chelsea tractor to drive the kids 1 mile to school, they could choose an absolutely stonking Hyundai Tucson that will be dripping with spec, or a Kia Sorento crafted by former Audi designers, but to hell with that, they absolutely must have a BMW/Audi/Range Rover badge to display.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally I would expect, given a large enough sample time, that any defects and break downs etc would average themselves out given that they are the same item.
The cars aren't even identical. They don't even have the same engines in all cars.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The cars aren't even identical. They don't even have the same engines in all cars.
Maybe things have changed, but when I worked at a Hyundai/Kia main dealership for 8 years the models/engines were almost exclusively like for like.
i10-Picanto
i20-Rio
i30-Cee’d
i40-Optima
Santa Fe-Sportage
Tucson-Sorento.

If you needed parts for one manufacturer but they weren’t in stock they just used the other brand’s parts. Quite often warranty parts for the Kia vehicles would arrive in Hyundai branded packaging.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The new top of the range BMW and Alfa SUVs. BMW outsell Alfa by a ridiculous percentage. All I can say is WTF?

Why is that a surprise? People like BMWs, they have a reputation of being well built reliable cars. Alfas have the opposite reputation.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I once hired a Dacia Duster expecting it to be shit, turns out it drove OK, was reasonably well built and was much better than I expected. Anyone who just wants a reliable basic car would be more than happy with a Dacia imo
I had a Dacia Duster for 3 years and loved it. Now got a Dacia Jogger which is perfect for my work. It is a 7 seater but take the back 2 seats out and you have a massive boot.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you needed parts for one manufacturer but they weren’t in stock they just used the other brand’s parts. Quite often warranty parts for the Kia vehicles would arrive in Hyundai branded packaging.

I imagine a lot of parts are shared between VW, Audi, Skoda, BMW and Mini, but they're not the same car.

Hyundai own part of Kia, but they operate separately, are built by different people to different (although presumably similar) standards. It's not going to be as simple as taking off the bodywork and having identical cars underneath across the entire range.

The reliability surveys are not exactly complicated, they simply report what percentage of people have had faults etc. If it's different for the two companies then it's different :shrug:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I imagine a lot of parts are shared between VW, Audi, Skoda, BMW and Mini, but they're not the same car.

Hyundai own part of Kia, but they operate separately, are built by different people to different (although presumably similar) standards. It's not going to be as simple as taking off the bodywork and having identical cars underneath across the entire range.

The reliability surveys are not exactly complicated, they simply report what percentage of people have had faults etc. If it's different for the two companies then it's different :shrug:
They literally use the same components, which come from their two factories in Slovakia and Czech Republic. They do look different and therefore use different electrical components (manufactured by the same suppliers) but the actual running gear and heart of the vehicles are largely the same.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They literally use the same components, which come from their two factories in Slovakia and Czech Republic. They do look different and therefore use different electrical components (manufactured by the same suppliers) but the actual running gear and heart of the vehicles are largely the same.
Sure the heart of many may be the same, but the overall vehicles (including the different electrical components you mention) are going to have different reliability results.

What's your source for them getting their components from Slovakia and Czech Republic?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Toyota Corolla

Ultra reliability, cheap no frills motoring.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Honda. All you need is a Honda. The only thing you'll ever need to replace is the tyres and exhuast.

I adore my Civic.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Would just like to point out that Mini/BMW are an entirely different company to Audi/VW/Skoda. Might share a bulb/globe supplier, or oil filter manufacturer, but they are entirely different cars.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Honda. All you need is a Honda. The only thing you'll ever need to replace is the tyres and exhuast.

I adore my Civic.
Very, very, very reliable cars. About as much personality as a Morphy Richards iron.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very, very, very reliable cars. About as much personality as a Morphy Richards iron.
I wouldn't have classed a sporty civic as dull. What do you think has personality?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Personal mobility was an issue for me and getting older, so I needed something of an SUV to make it easier getting in and out. Doesn’t have to be a big beast but worth bearing in mind.
A shout here for Volvo - I bought a 3-year-old diesel XC60 4 years ago and it hasn't disappointed.
No road tax, great reliability, 40-50 MPG and all I've replaced is a windscreen and two front tyres.

Will keep a couple more years and then chop-in for a petrol XC40 - slightly smaller

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Weird survey results. Had an A5 for 6 years, had no mechanical issues whatsoever, once they had replaced the thrashed out engine under warranty !!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A shout here for Volvo - I bought a 3-year-old diesel XC60 4 years ago and it hasn't disappointed.
No road tax, great reliability, 40-50 MPG and all I've replaced is a windscreen and two front tyres.

Why no road tax?

Weird survey results. Had an A5 for 6 years, had no mechanical issues whatsoever, once they had replaced the thrashed out engine under warranty !!!

Why are the results weird? Not every car is going to break down.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
3 pages in and nobody has asked .who's gonna drive you home tonight?

Poor form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here