Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Career change to plumber

Benjyman1990

Registered Boon.
Jul 31, 2011
North Stand & Worthing
Mate, 22 is nowhere near too late. I'm 27 and I've still got no idea but I personally don't feel there's any rush. A friend of mine in his 40's has just quit his business to start a new job. Never too late to make a change!
Indeed, although i have a highly motivated girlfriend who is 5 years older than me, she has just finished a masters degree in social work and so is doing really well. I just want to at least bring home a similar amount of money to her. It is causing tensions in our relationship so the sooner i get moving the better!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Indeed, although i have a highly motivated girlfriend who is 5 years older than me, she has just finished a masters degree in social work and so is doing really well. I just want to at least bring home a similar amount of money to her. It is causing tensions in our relationship so the sooner i get moving the better!

Good luck with that!!!:ffsparr::ffsparr::ffsparr::ffsparr::ffsparr:

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Mate, 22 is nowhere near too late. I'm 27 and I've still got no idea but I personally don't feel there's any rush. A friend of mine in his 40's has just quit his business to start a new job. Never too late to make a change!

Agree with this - 22 is not too late -

My son thought about bricklaying but decided on carpentry and joinery as it would maybe open up other avenues for kitchen fitting - fencing, decking to be able to work inside and out - when he went to the college for a chat they even spoke about getting him involved in set building for tv and send students to the BBC and some have gone on to be employed there. He didn't have a clue what he wanted to do but we are hoping that it leads onto something and he will make his way in the world - as long as he can make a decent living and be happy - as a mum that's all I want for him.

I don't think I new what I wanted to do at 22 - some people do - some people don't but eventually you find your way and as long as YOUR happy that's all that matters x

Benjyman1990

Registered Boon.
Jul 31, 2011
North Stand & Worthing
Agree with this - 22 is not too late -

My son thought about bricklaying but decided on carpentry and joinery as it would maybe open up other avenues for kitchen fitting - fencing, decking to be able to work inside and out - when he went to the college for a chat they even spoke about getting him involved in set building for tv and send students to the BBC and some have gone on to be employed there. He didn't have a clue what he wanted to do but we are hoping that it leads onto something and he will make his way in the world - as long as he can make a decent living and be happy - as a mum that's all I want for him.

I don't think I new what I wanted to do at 22 - some people do - some people don't but eventually you find your way and as long as YOUR happy that's all that matters x
To be honest i don't think any job will make me happy! But as long as the pay is good and there is some banter, and its not too strenuous then im sure i will cope!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The thing I've learnt about work in my 12 year working life is that the key is not to let it bog you down.

Yes, you spend 7-12 hours working every day of the week; yes, the people you work with/for can be annoying bastards; yes, the money you make usually disappears five minutes after it hits your bank account but, if you enjoy your life outside of work to the full and work a job you don't thoroughly despise then it all works out.

Benjyman1990

Registered Boon.
Jul 31, 2011
North Stand & Worthing
Lady Gull do you think he was on a massive wind up? If so I've just wasted an hour that I will never get back!! :mad::mad::mad:
Im not on a wind up!! Just trying to find my way in life... And its Sept, its very very late in the academic year to be making my mind up!

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Im not on a wind up!! Just trying to find my way in life... And its Sept, its very very late in the academic year to be making my mind up!

It's never too late Hun - my son got an interview last Wednesday was offered a place there and then straight onto a level 2 course as he had decent gcse results and enrolled Friday and started today!!!

He wants to get going though and has realised that he's wasted a year of his life partying and sodding around - I'm just grateful that the tutor at city college spent time with him and luckily had done the same and saw something in him to give him a break - we'd been trying to tell him the same thing but when someone else tells you I guess it's better than your parents!!!! Cos lets face it what do we know????? Lololololol

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Lady Gull do you think he was on a massive wind up? If so I've just wasted an hour that I will never get back!! :mad::mad::mad:

Hmmmm think he might be better off getting his girlfriend up the duff and staying at home to be a house husband!!!! Probably do her the world of good too - most social workers and health visitors I've ever come across haven't even got kids of their own!!!!! Yet they freely give their advice out - some of it which is utter bollox!!!!

Benjyman1990

Registered Boon.
Jul 31, 2011
North Stand & Worthing
It's never too late Hun - my son got an interview last Wednesday was offered a place there and then straight onto a level 2 course as he had decent gcse results and enrolled Friday and started today!!!

He wants to get going though and has realised that he's wasted a year of his life partying and sodding around - I'm just grateful that the tutor at city college spent time with him and luckily had done the same and saw something in him to give him a break - we'd been trying to tell him the same thing but when someone else tells you I guess it's better than your parents!!!! Cos lets face it what do we know????? Lololololol
Hahahaa sweet FA! ;) My parents are happy as long as im happy, and at least doing SOMETHING! But i want to get a decent job so that i can afford the nice things in life. Im not talking lobster for dinner and a Bentley on the drive, just being able to provide for a family and be able to afford holidays etc! Just really need to make my mind up, find a course and go for it!!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Plumbing isn't just laying on your back plumbing a sink, there is lots of physical stuff, I was a computer network engineer, sounds great, but lots of building sites, ladders, drilling holes every foot along a ceiling for 50 metres, pulling cables, same with any trade, its hard work!

Don't forget the calls for blocked sewage pipes and toilets that literally will cover you on shit, trying to hang a heavy boiler in the most unsuitable small cupboard or alcove on your own!

It can be a very well paid profession though.

I have 2 sentences of wisdom for you from what I've learned and been told in all my 33 years of life.

"you never get rich working for someone else"

"If you have a job you love to do then you will never actually work a day in your life"

I found quote 2 two years ago, I'm now a laser engineer, its hard graft but I love it, I also work with great people and always have a laugh which is half the battle won.

I'm still working for someone else though so I'm never going to earn mega money.

Benjyman1990

Registered Boon.
Jul 31, 2011
North Stand & Worthing
Plumbing isn't just laying on your back plumbing a sink, there is lots of physical stuff, I was a computer network engineer, sounds great, but lots of building sites, ladders, drilling holes every foot along a ceiling for 50 metres, pulling cables, same with any trade, its hard work!

Don't forget the calls for blocked sewage pipes and toilets that literally will cover you on shit, trying to hang a heavy boiler in the most unsuitable small cupboard or alcove on your own!

It can be a very well paid profession though.

I have 2 sentences of wisdom for you from what I've learned and been told in all my 33 years of life.

"you never get rich working for someone else"

"If you have a job you love to do then you will never actually work a day in your life"

I found quote 2 two years ago, I'm now a laser engineer, its hard graft but I love it, I also work with great people and always have a laugh which is half the battle won.

I'm still working for someone else though so I'm never going to earn mega money.
One step at a time eh ;)

Im not scared of hard graft, nor am i scared of shit (I currently wipe bums for a living)

I just want a job that pays well, and that has more sociable hours. I currently give up at least 2 nights a week to sleep in a supported living home!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I'm 25 and earn a decent enough living doing a job that I absolutely despise. Wish I could change but the joy of having a mortgage to pay for means I can't up sticks and start again. If I could go back 5 years and be without the responsibilities I now have I'd be straight off to learn something new and practical.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
What does a laser engineer do? I might want in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here