Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Career change to plumber

Benjyman1990

Registered Boon.
Jul 31, 2011
North Stand & Worthing
Hi all,

I am currently working as a support worker, looking after adults with learning difficulties. I, as im sure lots of others do, want more money. I was thinking of doing and doing a nursing degree, but if im completely honest with myself - its just not me. I dont care enough about others and i REALLY should if i were to become a nurse.:mad:

I've always been good with my hands and know a few bits and pieces that my dad has shown me over the years, so im thinking of trying to become a plumber. Does anyone know of any recommendable places to do a course? Or maybe an apprenticeship??

I've looked online and found something that sounds a bit too good to be true, New Career Skills, they offer a 12-18 month course which i can fit around my job, and at the end of it they even help me to find a job and offer further support where required.

I'm a bit lost with all this as i never even bothered with college after school, so any advice would be massively appreciated :thumbsup:

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Steve Willis Plumbing in Burgess Hill is where all my mates did their courses! Might be worth a look?!

Hi all,

I am currently working as a support worker, looking after adults with learning difficulties. I, as im sure lots of others do, want more money. I was thinking of doing and doing a nursing degree, but if im completely honest with myself - its just not me. I dont care enough about others and i REALLY should if i were to become a nurse.:mad:

I've always been good with my hands and know a few bits and pieces that my dad has shown me over the years, so im thinking of trying to become a plumber. Does anyone know of any recommendable places to do a course? Or maybe an apprenticeship??

I've looked online and found something that sounds a bit too good to be true, New Career Skills, they offer a 12-18 month course which i can fit around my job, and at the end of it they even help me to find a job and offer further support where required.

I'm a bit lost with all this as i never even bothered with college after school, so any advice would be massively appreciated :thumbsup:

Probably a good move to change career paths,the support workers role is a very draining one both mentally and physically hence the high turnover of staff in this role,good luck with your retraining :thumbsup:

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
My son has started at city college today - he's doing carpentry and joinery - but they do run plumbing courses there and they are accredited courses - how old are you? As if your over 19 I think you have to pay for the courses?

If you go on their website you can download the prospectus which will give you an idea of the courses they run etc - they were extremely helpful with us last week when my son decided to quit Bhasvic and do something completely different - we were at our wits end two weeks ago but they were brilliant and he's now looking forward to getting stuck in on this course - and for the first time in a year he actually has a smile on his face and is looking forward to the future!!!!

Good luck if you decide to do it x

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
There were a few dodgy establishments around a year or so ago that promised you'd be qualifed in months!! I've been in the game for going on 40years and believe me I still come across stuff that baffles me!!

Benjyman1990

Registered Boon.
Jul 31, 2011
North Stand & Worthing
My son has started at city college today - he's doing carpentry and joinery - but they do run plumbing courses there and they are accredited courses - how old are you? As if your over 19 I think you have to pay for the courses?

If you go on their website you can download the prospectus which will give you an idea of the courses they run etc - they were extremely helpful with us last week when my son decided to quit Bhasvic and do something completely different - we were at our wits end two weeks ago but they were brilliant and he's now looking forward to getting stuck in on this course - and for the first time in a year he actually has a smile on his face and is looking forward to the future!!!!

Good luck if you decide to do it x

Oh i might have to have a look! I am 22, im leaving it a bit late to decide where i want to go in life. Probably due to my drug fuelled teens, wish i'd been more motivated to do something! :ffsparr:
Thanks though, will have a butchers :thumbsup:

There were a few dodgy establishments around a year or so ago that promised you'd be qualifed in months!! I've been in the game for going on 40years and believe me I still come across stuff that baffles me!!

Thats what worries me!! I dont wanna join up with a load of cowboys, but they do sound legit! Fancy taking on an apprentice? :thumbsup:

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
Hi all,

If you are thinking of learining a trade in the building game dont just look at plumbing there are plenty of other trades.All kids that learn trades nowadays do plumbing, carpentry or electrician which is all good but very competetave. Other trades such as Bricklaying, Plastering and roofing not many kids are going into, so in 10, 20 years time there will be a MAJOR shortage of these trades and if you are qualified in one you can charge top top money.so have a little think before you decide plumbing!

Benjyman1990

Registered Boon.
Jul 31, 2011
North Stand & Worthing
If you are thinking of learining a trade in the building game dont just look at plumbing there are plenty of other trades.All kids that learn trades nowadays do plumbing, carpentry or electrician which is all good but very competetave. Other trades such as Bricklaying, Plastering and roofing not many kids are going into, so in 10, 20 years time there will be a MAJOR shortage of these trades and if you are qualified in one you can charge top top money.so have a little think before you decide plumbing!
Hmmmm interesting! I dont see myself as a brick layer particularly, perhaps the thought of lugging shit loads of bricks up a ladder puts me off! But perhaps plastering could be a good one! Roofing is a no go for me, im shit with heights!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Agree with Drpepper -----------if you work hard you will get a good living but you aint gonna become a millionaire!!! Be ready to never get through an evening without someone ringing and going on & on & on & on about their plumbing!!!!!!:annoyed::)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I am 22, im leaving it a bit late to decide where i want to go in life.

Mate, 22 is nowhere near too late. I'm 27 and I've still got no idea but I personally don't feel there's any rush. A friend of mine in his 40's has just quit his business to start a new job. Never too late to make a change!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here