Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car Insurance......

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Insurers have tried to move the goalposts, Norwich Union had a trial scheme whereby a blackbox was fitted to cars and the drivers paid depending on mileage. The box could also monitor standards of driving, ie harsh braking or over revving etc. Another scheme they tried was to heavily discount young drivers if they didn't drive between certain hours, something like 20:00 to 05:00. Not sure on the success of both though.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Insurers are businesses. They base their price on the likelihood of having to pay out and have huge amounts of data to support this (although I don't think they call it "bollocks").
If they charged me £100 for a group 3 car and they charge a 17yo £2000, it's because their data says the 17yo is 20 times more likely to cause them to pay out.

However, I'm not convinced about drink driving, in my experience you're as likely to see a 40 year old woman in court as a teenager (that is, however, subjective and might be different in Brighton to Eastbourne).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have just got fully comp on a group 17 car for £160 from the RAC (£230 with £70 back through quidco).

I thought I had got a real bargain until I realised it was because I'm a sad old git :down:

.... and I can confirm that in my experience, myself and most of my mates drove like complete tossers when we first got cars 30 years ago

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
£2000 is a huge amount though would only cover limited damage to another vehicle- why drive at 17? Walk, get a bus or cycle. If not a moped like the French do.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Anoyingly, the fines for being caught without insurance make the idea of doing without quite attractive to the numb-skulls who can't imagine the implications of an uninsured personal injury claim against them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
AVOID QUINN DIRECT.

They're cheap for a reason. I unfortunately had to make a claim and not only did they take WEEKS and WEEKS to deal with it, they then offered me a laughable amount for my car. After ages of toing and froing I finally accepted an offer that I wasn't really happy with but just wanted to stop dealing with them as soon as possible.

Complete rip off merchants.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
AVOID QUINN DIRECT.

They're cheap for a reason. I unfortunately had to make a claim and not only did they take WEEKS and WEEKS to deal with it, they then offered me a laughable amount for my car. After ages of toing and froing I finally accepted an offer that I wasn't really happy with but just wanted to stop dealing with them as soon as possible.

Complete rip off merchants.

They're thge Ryanair of car insurance - at that age you are basically paying for an insurance cert to be legal not caring about the level of cover. Although they pay out very, very fast in Ireland for some reason they still go for derisory first offers and a generally crap level of customer care. But you're road-legal.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Anoyingly, the fines for being caught without insurance make the idea of doing without quite attractive to the numb-skulls who can't imagine the implications of an uninsured personal injury claim against them.

Unfortunately, there are no real financial consequences. You'd lose your car but probably didn't pay much for it in the first place, the MIB will pick up any injury claim and all you face is a fine and a slap on the wrists from the 'justice' system. By MIB, I do of course me honest Joe Public who does pay his premium as we pay a surcharge to fund the MIB.

There should be draconian laws to penalise those that don't insure. You could for example fine the registered owner of a vehicle if there is no record of insurance for that vehicle. As per the TV licence, have officers check addresses for registered cars without insurance, fine the owner and scrap the car. Unless you have documentation to prove you have sold it (including the new owners address) or that it has been scrapped then you are liable for the fine. Make it 10 times the value of the equivalent insurance premium.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
They're thge Ryanair of car insurance - at that age you are basically paying for an insurance cert to be legal not caring about the level of cover. Although they pay out very, very fast in Ireland for some reason they still go for derisory first offers and a generally crap level of customer care. But you're road-legal.

Wrong account.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Quite.

So, go with Quinn Direct, if you're 1,000% SURE you will NOT have to make a claim. Which, seeing as they target young drivers, is very risky.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I've always used a broker. I let them do the comparing.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Unfortunately, there are no real financial consequences. You'd lose your car but probably didn't pay much for it in the first place, the MIB will pick up any injury claim and all you face is a fine and a slap on the wrists from the 'justice' system. By MIB, I do of course me honest Joe Public who does pay his premium as we pay a surcharge to fund the MIB.

There should be draconian laws to penalise those that don't insure. You could for example fine the registered owner of a vehicle if there is no record of insurance for that vehicle. As per the TV licence, have officers check addresses for registered cars without insurance, fine the owner and scrap the car. Unless you have documentation to prove you have sold it (including the new owners address) or that it has been scrapped then you are liable for the fine. Make it 10 times the value of the equivalent insurance premium.

For a new driver the consequence are high.
Any new driver is subject to restrictions.
One being if you get 6 points within the first two years after passing the test you are immediately banned and you also have to re sit the driving test.
Current the penalty for no insurance is 6 points,
So any new driver caught without insurance is automatically banned and have to re take the test.

Still wondering why insurance is expensive for new driver ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here