Car Insurance......

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The sad truth is that a 17 year old bloke is something like 90% likely to have an accident in his first year of motoring.
(me, 46, group 17 Saab, 200BHP, around £1/HP - it gets easier)

And approximately 99% more likely to drive like a complete tool...

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Quinn Direct have a habit of appearing totally wrongly priced on comparison sites so give them a go directly. They insure about 90% of young male drivers in Ireland (both sides) so they're well used to it and have relatively realistic prices, as they go.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
The sad truth is that a 17 year old bloke is something like 90% likely to have an accident in his first year of motoring.
(me, 46, group 17 Saab, 200BHP, around £1/HP - it gets easier)

Yup it does get much cheaper pretty quick. My first years insurance in 2001 was 1200 for a 1.2l Nova (yes I know) TPO for the second year it went down to about £750 and on the third year it went down to under £500! This was with tesco who at the time were the cheapest.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
compared the Meerkat.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Might as well buy a car for £500 and insure TPO to build up your ncb. Makes sense.

As for myself, my first insurance premium was only £68. (That was for TPF&T on a 1974 Triumph Toledo. It was also 29 years ago!!!)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

only thats utter bollocks and the real truth is the insurance are raping eager driver's pockets based on this myth. i read that accident rates for new drivers are lower than 10 years ago and i remember my first car insurance was £600 in '95. erm, somthing doesnt add up there does it? fact is, most young drivers do not have an accident.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
only thats utter bollocks and the real truth is the insurance are raping eager driver's pockets based on this myth. i read that accident rates for new drivers are lower than 10 years ago and i remember my first car insurance was £600 in '95. erm, somthing doesnt add up there does it? fact is, most young drivers do not have an accident.

Working for an insurance company my self and dealing with risk etc - the above statement is bollocks

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Working for an insurance company my self and dealing with risk etc - the above statement is bollocks

well you are in a great position to present the numbers that back it either way. number of drivers under 20 in 95 v now, number of accidents amongst them 95 v now. not PR stats that distort things, the real underlying numbers.

i should add, i was told by an actuary years ago that all car insurance is screwed against the real costs/risks. maybe it depends who you work for?

Last edited:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
On the compare sites only last week i was getting quotes for a second car, although i have 9 years NCB on my main car and 8 NCB on a motorcycle only one company Tescos would let me use my Motorcycle NCB on the second car, but were still more expensive than others with zero NCB.

And the quotes i was getting back were Fully comp were cheaper than TPFT.
Paid £350 for a Convertible with zero NCB in the end, it does get cheaper when your an old git.

Eldest is 17 and has his driving test next week, so asked for a quote to add him to this car assuming he passes, was quoted £7,200, yes Seven Thousand Two Hundred pounds.
So that ain't going to happen.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
17 year old drivers scare me.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Fact is most young drivers do not have an accident?? Where did you hear that? The plain fact is that young drivers are involved in far more accidents and deaths on the road than any other age group.

Here are some facts:

• ONE in three young male drivers will write off a car in their first year of driving.
• ONE-QUARTER of the convictions for causing death by dangerous driving are for drivers under 20, even though this age group represents just 3pc of all drivers.
• ONE-QUARTER of drivers under 21 who have an accident lose control of their car.
• Young drivers crash more often and more expensively than anyone else. They get more convictions, cause more deaths and serious injury, roll more cars and drink-drive more.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
• ONE in three young male drivers will write off a car in their first year of driving.

How old is that stat, or is it just a UK phenomenon?

I know massive amounts of young male drivers and not one of them wrote off a car in the first year of driving - despite there historically being an culture of driving unaccompanied before getting your test in Ireland (laws have clamped down on this, but I don't classify as "young" to insurers anymore, nor have a provisional licence!).

Quite a few had crashes, but not one write-off.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
well you are in a great position to present the numbers that back it either way. number of drivers under 20 in 95 v now, number of accidents amongst them 95 v now. not PR stats that distort things, the real underlying numbers.

i should add, i was told by an actuary years ago that all car insurance is screwed against the real costs/risks. maybe it depends who you work for?
Here you are..

Teenage Driver Crash Statistics
Young drivers
Crash statistics
http://www.theaa.com/insurance/young-drivers-car-insurance.html
CDC -Injury - Teen Drivers: Fact Sheet
DfT Research: In Depth Accident Causation Study Of Young Drivers

There is a lot more if you can be bothered to look for it.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I just think back to when i started driving - ok i never crashed my car but i used to drive like a right tosser. Ok i never crashed but i did - spin it 360 on the broadwater roundabout in Worthing at 2am. Did the same few weeks later up near Liverpool finishing up literally inches from some railings. Only when i got caught for doing 49 in a 30 mph whilst overtaking someone and went to court got six points and a £250 fine did i curb my ways. Luckily this was before you had to re take your test for 6 points in the first two years. So by my own experience young drivers do tend to drive like twats. My mates were also no better.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The plain fact is that young drivers are involved in far more accidents and deaths on the road than any other age group.

this is probably true. but it can be true and still be a minority.

Here are some facts:

• ONE-QUARTER of the convictions for causing death by dangerous driving are for drivers under 20, even though this age group represents just 3pc of all drivers.
• ONE-QUARTER of drivers under 21 who have an accident lose control of their car.
• Young drivers crash more often and more expensively than anyone else. They get more convictions, cause more deaths and serious injury, roll more cars and drink-drive more.

What sort of facts are they:
- they drive £500 that the insurance companies write off due to a smashed wing at 10mph.
- that means thankfully there are few death by dangerous driveing (or does it mean the youngster get caught more? )
- erm... not how thats qualified
- probably all true, but again, not inconsitant with a minority.

we've been here before im getting Dejavu. as MYOB i know plenty of peers that never had an accident or claimed on insurance. what i do recall was that the few that did have crashes tended to have several, how does that get filtered in the states.

i was after real raw data, not twisted and spun. lets look at a random link and a couple of facts there:
- An 18-year-old driver is more than three times as likely to be involved in a crash as a 48 year-old.
- One in five new drivers has a crash within six months of passing their test.

firstly what defines a "crash"? secondly, given 48 yo presumably have very few crashes, if 18 yo have 3 times more, that not an awfull lot of crashes is it? thirdly, so only one in five new inexperienced drivers has a crash in 6 months... kinda my point.

I know young drivers take more risks, get involved in some stupid situations, drive 5, 6, 7 up, act like twats, im just saying its not as some of the spin makes it, and the insurance exploits that to the max.

Last edited:

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Hmmm well I had my car for 8 hours before I did this to it:

imag0019tk.jpg

:cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports