Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we ever change this mentality?

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
A couple of weeks ago my ten year old son went to an activity day at the local leisure centre.

He was wearing an Albion shirt and during the course of the day struck up a conversation with a youth of similar age:

Youth: What football team do you support?

Son: Brighton, that's why I'm wearing their shirt.

Youth: No. What Premiership team do you support?

Son: I don't, I support Brighton.

Youth: No, you must support a premiership team.

Son: Alright then ,Portsmouth (on the basis that they are the nearest just about - he would have said Reading last season as he likes Coppell and Ingimarsson was nice to him at a withdean open day once!)

Youth: No, who do you support out of Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U or Liverpool.

And so on.....when I was his age in the late 70s there were plenty of people "supporting" Liverpool and Man U (not too many Chelsea oddly enough) but I don't remember them being incredulous that you didn't support them - they just accepted it and got on with it.

Can this big four to the exclusion of all else ever be changed and if so how?

Jimmy Grimble

It's a load of bollocks and why football is going down the shitter. I still get kids my age asking me who I support in the Premiership.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
It's a load of bollocks and why football is going down the shitter. I still get kids my age asking me who I support in the Premiership.

how old are you?

if you are older than 12, i'm going to find these kids asking you that question and slowly torment their families one by one

Jimmy Grimble

how old are you?

if you are older than 12, i'm going to find these kids asking you that question and slowly torment their families one by one

16 :shootself

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly a guy at work, definately old enough to know better, said last friday:-

'I can't wait for the football season to start'.

No prizes for guessing which division his team is in.

The media don't help either by constantly referring to them as 'the big 4'. Kids are impressionable and want to be into the biggest thing at the time so it's no wonder they get brainwashed into thinking you've got to support one of them.

Jimmy Grimble

ok. im going to find my meat cleaver

:lolol:

It's probably the best option, I've tried explaining to them they're not fans then they spout some shit about how it "Doesnt matter that they don't go to matches as long as they know facts about the players and watch them on tele." At this point I'm half way through turning my back on them and walking off, twats like that don't understand football.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Sadly a guy at work, definately old enough to know better, said last friday:-

'I can't wait for the football season to start'.

No prizes for guessing which division his team is in.

obviously the premiership..

he may have been a fulham ST holder or something?

why would he celebrate the football league starting earlier if his team is in the prem?

barney

Jul 31, 2006
:lolol:

It's probably the best option, I've tried explaining to them they're not fans then they spout some shit about how it "Doesnt matter that they don't go to matches as long as they know facts about the players and watch them on tele." At this point I'm half way through turning my back on them and walking off, twats like that don't understand football.

i have a mate very similar to what you have explained. he claims to be a united fan although he has never been to OT. when mocked about this his answer is "i know more about united than you do about brighton".. sadly he spends his days watching united videos and reading about their history etc.. he is still a cvnt

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've always thought it a bit weird that you can only buy the club shirt in the club shop. All these foreign students in Brighton for the Summer and all these schoolkids out with their parents in and around Churchill Square and nowhere to buy the shirt other than the club shop - which don't exactly scream its existence from the rooftops.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
why would he celebrate the football league starting earlier if his team is in the prem?
Shows he has no interest in "real" football and is a plastic fan. Ask him what his opinion is of financial hardship and the points deductions for 3 clubs in League 2 and he'll go :shrug:

I've always thought it a bit weird that you can only buy the club shirt in the club shop. All these foreign students in Brighton for the Summer and all these schoolkids out with their parents in and around Churchill Square and nowhere to buy the shirt other than the club shop - which don't exactly scream its existence from the rooftops.

Yeah, that is shithouse. I think the nearest place to the club shop where you can buy it is Broadwater Sports in Worthing.

Jimmy Grimble

i have a mate very similar to what you have explained. he claims to be a united fan although he has never been to OT. when mocked about this his answer is "i know more about united than you do about brighton".. sadly he spends his days watching united videos and reading about their history etc.. he is still a cvnt

Sounds a c*unt. The bastards should be lined up and shot. In the foot. Just to let 'em know they're c*unts. If they still persist with the same bollocks cut off their hands. I reckon' that's fair enough. :drink:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
When I first lived in this country, 1976, aged 10, it was at a boarding school in West Sussex. I was asked by the other kids whether I was a Punk or a Rocker, and whether I was Man U or Liverpool. At that time I think I prefered Shawoddywoddy and Leeds Utd. Suffice to say, within 3 months I had met Eric Steele at a school assembly, and discovered Wayne County, Punishment of Luxury and the Sex Pistols. So it was Punk Rock and the Albion for me from then on

:guitar::albion2:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you go into the major sports retailers they only stock replica tops from the main clubs in the Premier , national sides and mega European clubs. They have distribution agreements between the manufacturers and clubs to protect their profit margin. Most clubs have their club shop integrated into the stadium so the only retail outlet is there or online.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here