Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calais

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You are really struggling here so I will let it go.

I wonder just who might be struggling. What time is it now in OZ? You have been on here for hours, and every time I write comes a constant reply. Nothing wrong with that of course, just that when you are quoted, you claim that you do not have time to go back . .

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The figure of 600,000 does of course include all sorts, including EU migrants, or whatever the expression is in their case. What we are seeing in Calais/Kent is simply exacerbating the problem. Again your Maths is rather convenient -assuming the figure is true, over several years, not just the last few months, that does tend to add up. Thanks for your info about Turkey - I will take your word for that. I am sure that you are not trying to trivialise the issue, by the way, -so I ask again - how do we address it? You have avoided the tricky part.

I haven't really avoided that at all - It's not a solution I've proffered but rather an admission that we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Unfortunately in the long term there really is only one solution and it is one that quite honestly I can't see happening anytime in the near future. That answer is international cooperation, funding and practical assistance to reduce the number of refugees by making their current homelands better places to live rather than the current tendency to try and isolate those areas.

As there appears to be very little support for such action all we and other nations can do is muddle through and plug the dyke as holes appear. What worries me is that what is a real problem, both for potential host countries and the refugees, is more and more likely to result in extreme actions that will dehumanise both.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Scaremongering. Appeals to the right wingers, fits in with the EU narrative, fools them into thinking it's the UK's biggest problem. It's not. That would be persecution of the poor, tax evasion and institutional child rape.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Scaremongering. Appeals to the right wingers, fits in with the EU narrative, fools them into thinking it's the UK's biggest problem. It's not. That would be persecution of the poor, tax evasion and institutional child rape.

bloody hell if we persecute the poor this bad these new people are bang in trouble because they havent got a bean. not sure they have thought this through. doesnt sound a very nice place.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Is this really UK's biggest problem? . . .

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I haven't really avoided that at all - It's not a solution I've proffered but rather an admission that we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Unfortunately in the long term there really is only one solution and it is one that quite honestly I can't see happening anytime in the near future. That answer is international cooperation, funding and practical assistance to reduce the number of refugees by making their current homelands better places to live rather than the current tendency to try and isolate those areas.

As there appears to be very little support for such action all we and other nations can do is muddle through and plug the dyke as holes appear. What worries me is that what is a real problem, both for potential host countries and the refugees, is more and more likely to result in extreme actions that will dehumanise both.

I am sure that what you write in the first para is the ultimate solution, and agree that it is most unlikely to happen, though I get the impression that you feel that it is the fault of the West. I maybe wrong in this. Are we trying to isolate counties such as Sudan, Somalia, Ethiopia? In two of these countries they fight each other and it is hard to see any explanation than they have themselves to blame.
Trying to plug the gaps in the dyke as you put it is really the worst of all worlds - the host community gets more and more angry, as the whole depressing saga drags on, and the migrants more and more desperate. I see exactly what you are saying about the potential dehumanising effect of extreme action, but you will surely get this also with plugging the gaps. Feelings are clearly running much higher now than last year, and as the disruption grows ever more acute, it is only a matter of time before the inevitable explosion. Sad, but I fear very likely. Would you bet against it?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It is a problem, and the grooming in many towns, but at least these are being tackled FINALLY, us "fools" think that the migration problem is not being tackled and no solution is forthcoming.

Thanks. Of course it has been happening. I read his use of the word "institutional" to mean government. I hardly think that would be our biggest problem, unedifying as it undoubtedly is.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Thanks. Of course it has been happening. I read his use of the word "institutional" to mean government. I hardly think that would be our biggest problem, unedifying as it undoubtedly is.

Amazing really, "Scaremongering. Appeals to the right wingers", yet it was many so called left wingers involved in "institutional child rape", all the councils bar the one that did not ignore the child grooming were Labour controlled, and it also the so called left wingers that highlight these problems.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The President of the Czech Republic has called on refugees to respect his country’s rules or leave, telling them: “Nobody invited you here.”
In an interview with newspaper Blesk, Czech President Milos Zeman told the growing number of refugees in the Czech Republic to “respect our laws, just as we respect the law when we come to your country.”

He added: “If you do not like it, go away.
The Prague Daily Monitor said that his remarks were aimed primarily at the wave of Middle Eastern and African migrants entering the country, rather than Ukrainian migrants who have been fleeing the conflict in their own country.

“Unlike the Islamic ones, they have a much a better ability to assimilate themselves,” he said.

Just to balance it up, because i'm sure others will pick it up if i don't.....
Zeman then went on to blame Western powers for the current refugee crisis:

“The current wave of migration is rooted in the crazy idea to invade Iraq, which allegedly had weapons of mass destruction, but nothing was found.”

“It is not only the United States who is to blame for this, because some EU member states coordinated the operations against Libya,” he added.

However, the Czech President then went on to say that he would call on the UN General Assembly later this year to launch a military campaign to destroy terrorist training camps.
http://www.breitbart.com/london/201...pect-our-rules-or-leave-says-czech-president/

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I had missed that bit but just recall you talking grandly of spreading migrants all over Europe. Apologies. Note the apology and the reluctance to lecture, though I should also add that you had missed my original solution. Isn't there an expression -something about pot kettle black? I hardly think that a blockade would be from thousand of miles away!
Anyway, how kind of you to suggest that hundreds of thousands of migrants, which it will most certainly be, given your "green light" policy, should be dispersed around the globe. Will the people affected in say, Singapore, actually be asked? Will that nice kind Mr Putin agree to have his share? Will the migrants in Italy, for example, be deliriously happy, when told -sorry, mate, it is not Germany, Britain or Canada, as one interviewed the other night indicated his preferences, you are off to Roumania; cheer up, It will be nice and sunny there. Assume that all of this has been thought through.

Singapore is not a signatory to the UN convention on refugees and hold a similar view to you on their treatment. Russia has 236,000 refugees (UK has 117,00 for comparison).

The idea I am supporting isn't my idea. I would suggest that the 51 and 67 UN conventions are in dire need of updating given that the situation is so different now compared to when they were written. As Creaky says the answer to this is global cooperation which for me would start with a discussion about how to update the conventions currently being used. I would like to see the UN come up with a more equitable way of dealing with the problem that takes the burden of developing nations (last year 86% of refugee were dealt with by developing nations) and spreads the load. I would also like to see more countries being signatories on such a convention so the burden can be spread further. While they are at it I would also like the UN to look at what member countries can do to lessen the problems and conflict in the affected areas to provide a safe place for people to live so they don't have to leave (stop selling them weapons would be a start). This is not blaming the west for all the problems refugees are running from but i think it is naive to think that UN member countries are not involved in some of these conflicts in some way.

Anyway i won't be holding my breath for any of this and think that what will happen is that we will keep muddling along the way we are now which is doing little good for refugees, the countries they are fleeing and the host countries. Nigh on impossible situation this one.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The President of the Czech Republic has called on refugees to respect his country’s rules or leave, telling them: “Nobody invited you here.”
In an interview with newspaper Blesk, Czech President Milos Zeman told the growing number of refugees in the Czech Republic to “respect our laws, just as we respect the law when we come to your country.”

He added: “If you do not like it, go away.
The Prague Daily Monitor said that his remarks were aimed primarily at the wave of Middle Eastern and African migrants entering the country, rather than Ukrainian migrants who have been fleeing the conflict in their own country.

“Unlike the Islamic ones, they have a much a better ability to assimilate themselves,” he said.

Just to balance it up, because i'm sure others will pick it up if i don't.....
Zeman then went on to blame Western powers for the current refugee crisis:

“The current wave of migration is rooted in the crazy idea to invade Iraq, which allegedly had weapons of mass destruction, but nothing was found.”

“It is not only the United States who is to blame for this, because some EU member states coordinated the operations against Libya,” he added.

However, the Czech President then went on to say that he would call on the UN General Assembly later this year to launch a military campaign to destroy terrorist training camps.
http://www.breitbart.com/london/201...pect-our-rules-or-leave-says-czech-president/

Out of interest what is your cut off distance that allows you to comment on what is going on in other countries?

I am a little confused here because I am sure you have whinged about Dave in Prague commenting on stuff going on in the UK, and here you are posting stuff going on in Prague. Does this only work one way?

Still, good job at getting in a dig about those nasty Muslims.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Out of interest what is your cut off distance that allows you to comment on what is going on in other countries?

I am a little confused here because I am sure you have whinged about Dave in Prague commenting on stuff going on in the UK, and here you are posting stuff going on in Prague. Does this only work one way?

Still, good job at getting in a dig about those nasty Muslims.

Not replying atm.........Bobby is back!!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
How about we all step away from the heated discussions, social angst and veiled (sometimes) dislike of opinions other than our own for a minute and all unite in the bask of Bobby's glow.

He will heal all.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
How about we all step away from the heated discussions, social angst and veiled (sometimes) dislike of opinions other than our own for a minute and all unite in the bask of Bobby's glow.

He will heal all.

He really is the messiah.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Aaaah come on he is just offering a view, with his own political slant.

He offers absolutely nothing that gives some kind of definitive insight into the problem, other than being pro migrants rather than not.

So here is bloke who is the Professor of Refugee and Forced Migration Studies and Director at one of the worlds leading university, has written numerous books on the subject and even more numerous papers. Your take away from his thoughts are that he has ignored his years of research, put aside his life's work and risked his career and reputation by just offering answers based on his own (undisclosed) political slant? You have also done this without addressing a single one of his ill-informed and inaccurate points or giving any evidence of your claims. Sounds like a libel case waiting to happen to me :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here