Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Caicedo and MacAllister, How Well Have They Done Since They Left Us?

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Why are we all so anti release clauses in player contracts then? It allows the player to leave with class and dignity, and everyone's happy? If we had a put a release clause in Caicedo's contract we could all be sitting here now saying how we loved the guy, how he always gave 100%, blah blah blah.

And to yet to most on here we were right not to put a release clause in Caicedo's contract, and right not to offer one to Kudus. Seems to me people don't really know what they want.

MacAllister threatening to leave on a free unless he gets a 35m release clause = acting professionally. Caicedo asking the club to accept an 80m offer from Chelsea = acting unprofessionally.

Sorry, but that logic is just baffling.

No, the answer is its just business. It made business sense to give in to Mac Allister's demands and offer that release clause. And it made business sense to hang Caicedo out to dry and squeeze every last million out of Chelsea. So it's ridiculous to start ascribing professionalism and unprofessionalism to the individual players when the situations played out like they did solely because of our (Brighton's) desire to make us much money as possible out of the two of them.
So what do you think Caicedo's release clause would have been after we'd signed him - it would't have been £115m.
And would have allowed Arsenal or anyone else to just come in and take when ever they wanted.
So you would have given up a lot of money and lost control just to save a bit of a nasty situation.
Think i'll trust in Tony's judgment.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So what do you think Caicedo's release clause would have been after we'd signed him - it would't have been £115m.
And would have allowed Arsenal or anyone else to just come in and take when ever they wanted.
So you would have given up a lot of money and lost control just to save a bit of a nasty situation.

Unless we start the Real Madrid type release clause of £200m :lolol: .

Let’s face it, Bloom plays the market like a fiddle. I can only think of one fee where I wish we’d extracted more …. Trossard. Bissouma’s reflected his contract was nearly up.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think that's quite right - I think he'd have had a year left in the summer (ie, until 2024) anyway, so we'd still have got a reasonable chunk. I think he then signed to past 2024, but with a release clause (possibly specific to Liverpool).

Mac Allister signed a new contract with Brighton last October, extending a deal that was due to expire this summer but now runs until the summer of 2025, with an option for an extra 12 months.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yeah, what I've been saying for a while now. Cry on the pitch, you're golden 😆
As Paul Simon would have probably said if he'd been a soccer fan, there must be 50 ways to leave your football club. Ally Mac left with perceived dignity and class (or was intelligent enough to make it look that way), while Cucurella, Caicedo, Trossard and Sanchez (and/or their agents) took different routes. I'd heard that Mac Allister's dad thought his son had spent long enough having fun with his mates at Lancing and now it was time to start earning the family some real money. But he still agreed to let him stay long enough to help the club into Europe.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Kind. Of. My. Point. 👍

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
I disliked Chelsea before our rivalry with Palace began. It goes back to the FA cup replay in 1967 when Brighton fans travelled to Stamford Bridge to find Docherty had already closed the gates on us.
Chelsea - the epitome of arrogance
I was one of those locked out, but I don't think it was just Brighton fans who couldn't get in, there were plenty of Chelsea supporters wandering around when they shut the gates.
With 54,000 inside, there was no room for the estimated 10,000 locked out!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are you sure that his previous contract didn't also have a 12 month extension option? I didn't think he was in his last year.

Edit - I've checked and that's correct. He wasn't going to be out of contract until June 2024 anyway.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
............"and taking one of the most hated managers in Brighton history off our hands".........
Geez, come on! I know we were upset and let down when Potter jumped shipped to go to a bigger club, but "one of the most hated managers in Brighton history"........?

It's almost as if no manager has ever walked out on us before to go to a bigger (at the time) club - apart from Goodwin, Coppell, Taylor (X2), MacAulay - oh and that w*nker Clough that is. Do we hate them all? How long for?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Geez, come on! I know we were upset and let down when Potter jumped shipped to go to a bigger club, but "one of the most hated managers in Brighton history"........?

It's almost as if no manager has ever walked out on us before to go to a bigger (at the time) club - apart from Goodwin, Coppell, Taylor (X2), MacAulay - oh and that w*nker Clough that is. Do we hate them all? How long for?
I hate everybody.
It makes life so much easier in the long run.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair play! So the club had an extension

That's certainly what we all thought (and Naylor said) before he signed the new contract.

but signed a new contract to put in a minimum fee release clause?

The club obviously wanted him on a new contract, but he (understandably) didn't want to make a move in the summer too difficult, so it seems that the club made the unusual move (for us) of allowing some sort of release clause, as he'd have gone for a smaller fee in the summer anyway.

I’m saying we are both right
No one cares who's right, but since you're bringing it up, and with me being a pedant an' all, no :p You thought the new contract was to prevent him leaving for free in the summer, but he couldn't have left for free, we'd have extended his contract for a year (and probably still sold him to Liverpool).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

You tell me :) I'm fine with the guy, but I read this brighton fans website called NSC and trust me, he's hated on there!

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
You tell me :) I'm fine with the guy, but I read this brighton fans website called NSC and trust me, he's hated on there!
During THAT game he was. And what fun we all had with the booing and screaming and the thrashing. A beautiful day!

A few things have reduced the animosity for most of us since then. His failure, RDZ's success and the passage of time too. On the other hand a hatred of all things Chelsea burns deep still. Deep enough for people to want Leeds to do well in a match.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
During THAT game he was. And what fun we all had with the booing and screaming and the thrashing. A beautiful day!

A few things have reduced the animosity for most of us since then. His failure, RDZ's success and the passage of time too. On the other hand a hatred of all things Chelsea burns deep still. Deep enough for people to want Leeds to do well in a match.
Exactly.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
To be fair there is a loud minority with abandonment issues for whom he will always be the devil incarnate. And an honourable mention for the poster from North of the wall who never liked him in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here