Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cabaye

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes the honest route, You agreed to pay your creditors a percentage of your debts. And now racking up £200mof debt to one fella.
No - we didn't agree to pay our creditors a percentage of our debts. We struck business deals with 1 or 2 to get a discount on money owed.

Y Ddraig Goch

Sep 28, 2011
According to rumours, they're looking at putting in a 12 million offer for Charlie Austin!

Madness.

You will see plenty of Palace fans being nervous about the money that's being bandied about at the moment. The reality is though, it's not that much. It sounds ridiculous but it's not.

Since 2010 we have progressed every season, that can't continue without investment, if Cabaye comes off and we are relegated, he'll be gone next year along with maybe a couple of others. Most if not all of the players have relegation clauses so the financial impact would be minimal.

Timing is everything, we got promoted at just the right time, we now have a really good chance of becoming an established team, players like Cabaye will be the norm (though maybe not the salary)

The PL is mental, the money next year stratospheric, the gap is getting bigger between the leagues but I'll be damned if I know how you stop it now.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Bit weird that nobody else has been in for him. Why's that?

What is weird is that PSG paid nineteen million for him just over a year ago on a three and half year contract. Are they getting rid because of some injury problem or is he a trouble maker. Just why are they getting rid that quick for nearly a 50% loss?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What is weird is that PSG paid nineteen million for him just over a year ago on a three and half year contract. Are they getting rid because of some injury problem or is he a trouble maker. Just why are they getting rid that quick for nearly a 50% loss?

That's what I'm wondering. If he's that good- and £19m to PSG suggests he is, or was- then surely other clubs in England & Europe would be interested if he's available? Instead, the only phone call he gets is from Crystal Palace. Doesn't quite add up to me.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013

He wants out because he needs first team football to keep his place in the France team. PSG bought him as a starter but he can't dislodge the hugely impressive Veratti. Makes sense for both parties to get out.

As for competition, he's had interest from Spurs/West Ham/Atletico but guaranteed first team football and a familiar manager seem to have done the trick.

That's what I'm wondering. If he's that good- and £19m to PSG suggests he is, or was- then surely other clubs in England & Europe would be interested if he's available? Instead, the only phone call he gets is from Crystal Palace. Doesn't quite add up to me.

Palace, West Ham, Spurs, Atletico. They're just the ones we know about.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Still a bitter lemon Sheebo?
We are much better than you now ,time to move on.
We will hopefully get you lot in a cup this season so you can let all that frustration out on the big cheats from SE25.
Until then maybe play FIFA against palace it may help you get over us

Yep - much better on the pitch. Times like that come and go (like the last 2 seasons we were in the same league we were better than you) but club size / facilities you will always be miles behind from now. Unless you can spend some of the St Johns money on a state of the art 30k stadium...? Nah didn't think so....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A leg end was my discription of him . Look we've had some chairmen who we didn't like and have used us to make a load of money , just like you have . We are just grateful we have owners now who are sensible and have the clubs best interests at heart , again just like you lot .

Palace stayed up in their first season in the PL with the second lowest wage bill in the division, so I do have some (very grudging) admiration for that achievement.

As for the board, if they sell up and out to someone else good luck to them, they took on the risk to begin with, and that's how capitalism works.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Yep - much better on the pitch. Times like that come and go (like the last 2 seasons we were in the same league we were better than you) but club size / facilities you will always be miles behind from now. Unless you can spend some of the St Johns money on a state of the art 30k stadium...? Nah didn't think so....

To be honest, I think we've got the much better deal here. The media won't stop going on about how f*cking brilliant the atmosphere is at Selhurst and how it must be the most intimidating stadium in the country to play in. We're raking in hundreds of millions of pounds because we've finished 10th in the Premier League, and we're signing top drawer talent like Cabaye and very possibly Charlie Austin.

Obviously your stadium is very nice, but I wouldn't dream of swapping our circumstances and yours.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
An Ashley masterstroke, he's rich for a reason, and PSG cutting their losses. Everyone wins.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
To be honest, I think we've got the much better deal here. The media won't stop going on about how f*cking brilliant the atmosphere is at Selhurst and how it must be the most intimidating stadium in the country to play in. We're raking in hundreds of millions of pounds because we've finished 10th in the Premier League, and we're signing top drawer talent like Cabaye and very possibly Charlie Austin.

Obviously your stadium is very nice, but I wouldn't dream of swapping our circumstances and yours.
....don't forget your cladding.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Maybe, maybe not. There's no excusing the fact you were extremely lucky to go up but fair play have made the most of it. I've not heard the media banging on about the 30 hooded Italians - only the coin throwing incidentS? But then if you can make a reputation by getting SkY to put the sound thingy right by the Italians and play on it then fair play. When BT sport come to town it always sounds so different - odd one that :lol: (a good friend works for BT Sport btw) :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Anyway, bored of winding up the Nigel's (too easy) we've got our own disastrous football team to worry about and another relegation fight in our wonky warehouse (5th year this year and only 6k crowds expected - you were all right about the plastics and the new fans and 2nd year syndrome - it's got drastically lower in attendances) :(

Bye now St Johns Franchise FC 2010 :thumbsup:

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Maybe, maybe not. There's no excusing the fact you were extremely lucky to go up but fair play have made the most of it.

Given our success in the Premier League since that season, I'm not entirely sure we were lucky to go up at all. Ward, Delaney, Speroni, Murray, Zaha, Jedinak, Bolasie etc. are all clearly Premier League players. Any squad with those names in would be unlucky not to go up in the Championship. You'd have to have a really, really incompetent manager to almost mess up a top 6 finish... :ffsparr:

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Given our success in the Premier League since that season, I'm not entirely sure we were lucky to go up at all. Ward, Delaney, Speroni, Murray, Zaha, Jedinak, Bolasie etc. are all clearly Premier League players. Any squad with those names in would be unlucky not to go up in the Championship. You'd have to have a really, really incompetent manager to almost mess up a top 6 finish... :ffsparr:

The funny thing with that group of players is that they were deamed not good enough to get in the Brighton team not so long ago :) .

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
The funny thing with that group of players is that they were deamed not good enough to get in the Brighton team not so long ago :) .

Funny how these things work out, isn't it? Have they got a single player that would make our 25 man squad for this season?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Each to there own.

Living in BN1 and supporting our Championship side or living anywhere near SE25 and supporting a local Premiership side. Err no. Never in a million years.

Don't even enjoy driving through the area if I have to. No chance of me going there by choice.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

I think thats what Portsmouth fans would have said to Southampton fans while they were in the Premier League, playing in Europe and winning the FA cup.

Not saying you are doing a Portsmouth, just that only time will tell. This will be your third season up there, things could go wrong any season, and for the first time I don't think you expect a relegation battle. Expectation is getting higher. Good luck.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Am I going mad, but is this not the player that went on strike at Newcastle and refused to play as he wanted a move?Was not Pardew the manager then? apologies if I am wrong, but think I would give Palace credit for is a good togetherness in their squad, he sounds like trouble to me. Good player though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here