Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Burnley

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What I’ve never understood about Burnley FC is where all the money goes. They get something like £130m income every year but seem to spend very little and Dyche is always banging on about the financial constraints he’s working under. Something just doesn’t add up???

They are cheerfully being relieved of their money by their new American owners, think Glazers but on a significantly smaller scale

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
What I’ve never understood about Burnley FC is where all the money goes. They get something like £130m income every year but seem to spend very little and Dyche is always banging on about the financial constraints he’s working under. Something just doesn’t add up???

It's used to pay wages, develop the training ground and keep the club afloat. Burnley make very little in the commercial context. More recently it has been suggested that the purse strings were drawn tight in previous seasobs to make the club an attractive proposition for the new owners.

Dyche may bang on but he's not fibbing. We have been beaten in the past by Championship clubs in terms of salary. This is often because these clubs have the ability to exist in debt. Until they don't of course and then it's thr fans who suffer.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The previous owner (Mike Garlick) sold up to American investors and took north of £100m with him out of the club funds. Or rather, the Americans used £100m of club funds to pay him for the shares, which amounts to the same thing,.

I suspect the new Americans are taking out directors' fees, facilty fees, consultancy fees, etc. as well. We may find out when the accounts are published.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
As I understood ( have an acquaintance who is/was a minor shareholder) they were solvent until sale. now ? . . . probably not.
The accounts as at July 2020 showed a bank balance of £80m. Perhaps £30m of this was TV money in advance of the new season, but the rest was cash reserves. Garlick had spent very little on new players for 3 seasons.

The new owners cleared the bank account, it's certain, and they also borrowed £60m from MSD, a finance house that lend to Southampton as well, and they used Burnley FC assets as security. So as the new owners have no assets apart from BFC, then BFC are on the hook for that one as well.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The accounts as at July 2020 showed a bank balance of £80m. Perhaps £30m of this was TV money in advance of the new season, but the rest was cash reserves. Garlick had spent very little on new players for 3 seasons.

The new owners cleared the bank account, it's certain, and they also borrowed £60m from MSD, a finance house that lend to Southampton as well, and they used Burnley FC assets as security. So as the new owners have no assets apart from BFC, then BFC are on the hook for that one as well.

Burnley will need to get back up very soon.

I use the word need deliberately

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I wonder if Potter will get booed again if it ends up 0-0 or a loss? ???
I think there is an expectation of winning so could be depends how the team play I suppose. Hopefully no boos required as we'll win this one in style.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London

How this leveraged buy-out stuff is legal blows my mind. I got stiffed by a company filing for chapter 11 in the states. Huge retail operation with hundreds of millions turnover. Because of the leveraged debt with eyewatering interest as soon as Covid hit they missed repayments. Loads of vendors got shafted. It's criminal. (Except it's not)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm looking forward to seeing Token play. I thought he might be the difference between them being in the drop zone or not.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Will Dale Stephens play for Burnley?
No. Brownhill and Westwood are both available, so Stephens won't start.

Barnes will probably be sub, with only a very outside chance that he could start if Weghorst is still injured AND Barnes is preferred to Rodriguez. But I think Barnes will come on as sub.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
No. Brownhill and Westwood are both available, so Stephens won't start.

Barnes will probably be sub, with only a very outside chance that he could start if Weghorst is still injured AND Barnes is preferred to Rodriguez. But I think Barnes will come on as sub.

Yes, but maybe Stephens comes on with 10 minutes to play with the Clarets down 2 - 1.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Dyche will describe us to his players as southern softies who are virtually safe so nothing to play for so get stuck into them hard for 95 minutes and the points will follow as sure as night follows day…..so a nasty, aggressive and bad tempered match beckons, as per.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Gonna be a windy one.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
And Kevin Friend as ref, that should be fun, thought he was suspended for being crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And Kevin Friend as ref, that should be fun, thought he was suspended for being crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without there being a team playing who's obviously much bigger than the other, he'll have to base his referring decisions on the basis of what he actually sees. This will be very confusing for him

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
shit windy weather, horrible side with 10 behind the ball for large periods of the game... this is set up for a very frustrating afternoon.

We could do with an early goal in our favour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here