Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley preparing another bid for Stephens (but probably bollox Twitter rumour)

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Possibly could have worded it better, but at least it has started a debate, better than half the crap on here.

I've seen the same debate on Twitter re Stephens based on the same 'probably made up' rumour. I don't understand why there is a debate. We absolutely must keep this team together. We can't afford to risk it. If we were going to sell Stephens we would have done it in the summer when we weren't sure how well we do this season. Now we are first, why sell?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Said one random transfer account on Twitter that usually posts guessing yet plausible crap and then deletes 95% of their wrong tweets..

Important to give it a source.

Burnley again, was it a voxy survey, was the tweeter a chip shop owner.......

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Fair point. How would we get through January? I'm sure there'll be more about Stephens as the month goes on, and also probably Knockaert and Dunk.

I am convinced (just a hunch) that money, will not prize him away this season.....i personally think he will want to stay..

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Burnley again, was it a voxy survey, was the tweeter a chip shop owner.......

I don't know. There's one 'transfer' account with 160k mugs.. Sorry followers that may get the odd things right but usually at least credits the source of the info (eg sky sports). Essentially, if you or I could be bothered we could run one ourselves - guess possible transfers based on previous interest and then claim to be 'in the know' and get 'exclusives' when one in ten comes off. Then delete the other 9 guesses. It's pathetic tbh...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
£8 Million. I would accept £9 Mill and then get Loftus-Cheek in. Kayal and Norwood starting will be just as strong and we still have Sidwell. 8 or 9 million for Stephens would be good business,

Yea let's get an unproven PL loanee in to replace one of our 2 key midfielders. That'll take us over the line.

'Good business' is keeping this squad together for a prize 15-20 times that sum.

An absolute nothing story rehashed from August. At the very least they could have changed the chasing club to someone random, since Burnley have no need for another CM now.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Fair point. How would we get through January? I'm sure there'll be more about Stephens as the month goes on, and also probably Knockaert and Dunk.

Shall I do a test now and post a rumour that I've heard Dunk is going to erm Everton for £15mil and see how long it takes for someone to start a thread?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Burnley preparing another bid for Stephens
Preparing? What do they need to prepare before making the bid exactly? They wanted him while the last window was open, and they bid. If they still wanted him, you'd think they'd bid on the opening day, what's the point in waiting?

Ignoring the fact that this rumour is made up for a second.
If that is true and it happens it will take some resolve from TB knowing he can join for nothing in just over 4 months.
It's a huge amount of money for someone with a few months left, but at this stage it's just not worth the risk. Stephens is basically guaranteed PL football next season anyway, and he can choose the team, so he should be able to cope with staying.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Any top the table team that allows other clubs, and not big ones either, to cherry pick their first team doesn't deserve to go up. If its only the likes of burnley trying to steal him on the hoof because of a contract ending thats doesn't look like he is in a great bargaining position either. Different if Manure and spurs were in a bidding war for him.

This all works in our favour sod Burnley.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Shall I do a test now and post a rumour that I've heard Dunk is going to erm Everton for £15mil and see how long it takes for someone to start a thread?
That'll be on Twitter in a few seconds via someone else and the cycle will complete itself without you even needing to bother.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I don't think any of them will go but I'm sure there will be lots of talk (and panic) on here about them.

We are in a good position,it's win for the club,win for the players,5 months to make the step up or take a pay day in the summer if they feel that's the way forward,i am actually quite relaxed about the window and am inclined to agree with you..

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
£8 Million. I would accept £9 Mill and then get Loftus-Cheek in. Kayal and Norwood starting will be just as strong and we still have Sidwell. 8 or 9 million for Stephens would be good business,

I am pleased that Hughton doesn't under-rate Dale Stephens like some of our fans do.

In the last twelve months, the Albion has lost only twice when Stephens has started: last season's aberrations at Cardiff and Rotherham. It has been great that Sidwell and Norwood have proved themselves capable of filling the gap left by Kayal's injury. The win at Hillsborough may suggest that they are capable of subbing for Stephens, but we certainly haven't got long term proof of this. I'd rather not find out. For the rest of this season I would like our central midfield to be Stephens plus one other.

The decision not to let him go in the summer could end up being worth a dozen times what the penny pinchers at Burnley were offering for him. If he is able to pocket a massive signing on fee when out of contract this summer, I also hope that it is us paying it to him.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Ignoring the fact that this rumour is made up for a second.It's a huge amount of money for someone with a few months left, but at this stage it's just not worth the risk. Stephens is basically guaranteed PL football next season anyway, and he can choose the team, so he should be able to cope with staying.

Agreed. I am not even sure Stephens would accept a deal. Why not wait until the end of the season when you can get a better deal on a free transfer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here