Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brits reputation abroad..

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I know we have a few folks on here that reside across the globe and many that travel for work or pleasure, what is the Brits rep abroad these days and is it deserved? We stereotype nations such as France as Lazy and arrogent, The Italians as tardy incompotents etc the Chinese think we smell of milk etc. What, in your experience is the image that our global cousins conjure up when they think of us lot?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
In chavy places like Benidorm and San Antonio the natives think were rogues on the loose, it more quiet area's I'd say we have a decent reputation, just a shame all the partygoers dampen our reputation.

Years ago, Abroad was full of so-called "English pubs". These days, it is full of "Irish Pubs".

I guess "English" has lost its place as a marketing label that says positive things.

At least Guinness is good for you ... and a damn sight better than Watney's "Bleeding" Red Barrel ever was.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Czechs tell me that they are drunk, Loud, sometimes aggressive... Ive seen them loud, but ive seen Italians and Germans loud.. they do sometimes give it the lary looks to show they are 'lads' but ive not seen anything like what we would call trouble since ive lived here......think it was bad here when it first became popular and the image has stuck with the locals.

Notice the 'lads' from Manchester tend to wear their best shellsuits, whilst they are here, and the fancy dress comedy costumes are funny...the first time you see the same outfits...
Took me a while to get over seeing 12 drunk scousers wearing borat mankinis in Wenceslas square in December.
Makes you proud.
Other natonalies here aint perfect though either...

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
In chavy places like Benidorm and San Antonio the natives think were rogues on the loose, it more quiet area's I'd say we have a decent reputation, just a shame all the partygoers dampen our reputation.
Have you ever been to San An?Obviously not-there aren't any 'natives':dunce:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Years ago, Abroad was full of so-called "English pubs". These days, it is full of "Irish Pubs".

I guess "English" has lost its place as a marketing label that says positive things.

At least Guinness is good for you ... and a damn sight better than Watney's "Bleeding" Red Barrel ever was.

Word

We were in the Irish pub in Bangkok last year. We were speaking to the manager and I asked what part of Ireland the owner(s) came from?

"Oh, the owners are English!" I was informed. Apparently most of the Irish pubs you see on your travels are owned by Brits! Purely marketing!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
They think we're wankers (until they talk to you and then realise that all the other brits are wankers, except you).
Most of us are quite happy to admit to being wankers abroad,but no foreigners admit it over here!:facepalm:

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Yes, but I live in foreign. It would be refreshing were the starting point be neutral, and then they form an opinion, but this usually isn't the case.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
WARNING - GENERALISATION COMING!!

In Australia you can spot the Brit a mile away, managed to get pissed on our piss-weak fizzy lager then lay on a beach trying to relax the hang over off and fall asleep in the sun! Shazam - baked Englishman... Hospitals are full of them....

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I know we have a few folks on here that reside across the globe and many that travel for work or pleasure, what is the Brits rep abroad these days and is it deserved? We stereotype nations such as France as Lazy and arrogent, The Italians as tardy incompotents etc the Chinese think we smell of milk etc. What, in your experience is the image that our global cousins conjure up when they think of us lot?
Depends who you ask.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
WARNING - GENERALISATION COMING!!

In Australia you can spot the Brit a mile away, managed to get pissed on our piss-weak fizzy lager then lay on a beach trying to relax the hang over off and fall asleep in the sun! Shazam - baked Englishman... Hospitals are full of them....

Didn't they also used to say that you could tell when the BA flight had arrived at Sydney. The engines were switched off but the whining noise didn't stop :lol:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
When I lived in Greece. They would assume we/I was an American. When I told them I was English they would be much happier/friendlier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here