Brits reputation abroad..

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Yanks think we're all Cockney geezers with bad teeth who eat bad food.
The med' nations pretty much despise us. (Malta being an exception, who love us).

Most places they don't really give a toss.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
i used to live in shepherds bush which does house quite a few shitty antipodeans, but some cool ones too.

equally my sister is working in a bar in sydney, and i expect it to be full of largely crap english people, just a polar opposite of shepherds bush.

she normally lives in puerto banus, which is an odd place to say the least.

largely, i find brits abroad who are just f***ing about, as untrustworthy and obnoxious. I feel they are lost souls or rather they have losts souls.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yanks think we're all Cockney geezers with bad teeth who eat bad food.

Blimey, when it comes to food they are hardly occupying the moral high ground...Taco Bell, McDonalds, Burger King!

I have met a fair few Americans who mistake my suvvern lilt for Australian, had a conversation with one that went something like:

American: I went to Australia and loved it, which city are you from?
Me: I am from England, not Australia!
American: Oh, well why do you have an Australian accent then?

:wozza:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
My conversations are generally...

Russin: blah blah blah blah

Me: Anglicsky? Im English, and dont speak Russian!

Russian: BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Me: Honey, please tell this bloke I dont speak Russian.

Her: blah blah di blah anglicsky blah blah

Russian to her: Ahhhh

Russian to më: blah blah blah di blah?

Me: FFS! I DONT SPEAK RUSSIAN!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like Chappers, we try to miss all Brits when abroad.

The bit I just don't get is why do all Brits (hey this is a generalisation thread) not bother to learn, even a few words in the new language.

Hello
Goodbye
Please, and most importantly,
Thank you.

That's it, that tiny bit of effort goes so far. Not bothering is just scary.

littlehamptonbha

Jan 24, 2010
littlehampton
i drove a truck all over europe 4 the last 5 years and visted many countries,,99% welcomed me wiv open arms,i was allways looked after by many europeans,but soon as i mentioned football the reply would allways b ENGLAND,VERY BAD HOOLIGANS !!!!!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The bit I just don't get is why do all Brits (hey this is a generalisation thread) not bother to learn, even a few words in the new language.

Hello
Goodbye
Thank you.

That gets my goat too, it was shocking when I lived in the Netherlands how few Brits ever bothered to learn even the most simple things in Dutch, like the phrases you suggest.

I am heading off to South America at the end of February and am trying to learn some basic phrases in Spanish, the only problem is that my accent at the moment sounds like a mixture of Italian and Nigerian!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Hello
Goodbye
Thank you.

Quite right. 'Two beers, please' shouldn't be beyond anyone with even a token effort.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But what you get back in return, from the natives, is massive.
All of a sudden you become lifted from the status of brit w@nker, to 'we'd best fill up the bar nibbles'.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
That gets my goat too, it was shocking when I lived in the Netherlands how few Brits ever bothered to learn even the most simple things in Dutch, like the phrases you suggest.

I am heading off to South America at the end of February and am trying to learn some basic phrases in Spanish, the only problem is that my accent at the moment sounds like a mixture of Italian and Nigerian!

Id have a look at portugese as well:smile:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
In Europe I find that people think of us collectively as drunken yobs but individually have no great issues except that we are not regarded as good tippers. Generally we seem to be preferred to Americans. In Asia they all think we are all fat, live at Buck House and drive rollers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports