[Albion] Brighton v USG

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What are people picking up with Maupay that I did not see? He reacted to a bad challenge (which reports say Groß also took up with the referee at the end) and played with more intensity probably owing to the fact he knows more competition has just arrived for a starting slot.

Thought he looked sharp and certainly more impressive than some of the other attacking options on display in the two halves.

Gross was sticking up for Maupay and having a good go at referee Keith Stroud for not picking up the initial challenge when, as he said, the impact was loud enough to be heard in Shoreham. I think if Stroud had seen clearly what le petit shithouse did after the challenge, which looked like a stamp to me, we might have had a red card.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is Maupay the new Ashley Barnes then ? When do we start booing him

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Having watched the game now, I agree with some of these statements.

Undav is a no for me though. I believe the club initiated talks to terminate his contract.

Also think it is a bit lazy and indecisive to need another 45 minutes of glorified training session to make a definite call on Kozlowski. I'd make him captain.

Some reflection on some of the others:

Cucurella - no. Think TB cried a little bit in the baththub in the evening as he had to scratch a couple of zeroes from the demanded fee. [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] or whatever his name is will probably be here to confirm.
Dunk - jury's out. Need to watch a couple of still photographies from the training sessions. Will confirm if he is a capable footballer or not once I've bothered.
Welbeck - no. Will struggle to make the 25 man squad and a good guess is that he will playing with Haydon Roberts in Derby County this season.

Did anyone notice how Ross Sykes played? The reason I ask is this:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/18855872/brighton-union-sykes-accrington-transfer/

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Well, Maupay for one won't be giving him a warm welcome, if he comes! Don't think he will - lazy journo syndrome, I suspect. 'Gone to USG, so must be being lined up by Brighton; good clickbait, so let's print it'.

Think about it - he's signed for USG apparantly with a sell on clause; if we were really interested surely we would have paid the £250K ourselves and loaned him to USG.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, Maupay for one won't be giving him a warm welcome, if he comes! Don't think he will - lazy journo syndrome, I suspect. 'Gone to USG, so must be being lined up by Brighton; good clickbait, so let's print it'.

Think about it - he's signed for USG apparantly with a sell on clause; if we were really interested surely we would have paid the £250K ourselves and loaned him to USG.

Exactly, though it's Alan Nixon and The Sun so hardly a surprise it's a bit convoluted.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Your first question reveals that you didn't understand the nuances in my previous post. I was talking about the club. Not individual fans who don't have the resources of the club. If you were talking about the club, then I would agree with you. Having said that, fans have a voice and are entitled to hold and voice opinions. After all, that is what this forum is all about.

The second question on Enciso also reveals we are talking at cross-purposes. Players are judged the whole time. Every minute of every match. The stats packs deliver a wealth of data which Tony Bloom, through Starlizard, seems expert at deciphering. Fans such as you and I, only get the odd fleeting glimpse at that data. But that doesn't mean our opinions or judgements are invalid.

Note that you finish up agreeing with a judgement about Maupay - based on his 45 minutes on the pitch.

You need to go back to your first post and then re-read, that is what I thought we were discussing ��.

Of course the fans are entitled to opinions, the point is to pass judgment on new players after 45 mins, IMO is just silly…..
I agree about the forum as well, which is why we are discussing what I consider a snap judgement based on 45 mins.

If you work for the club and see the players every day, then of course that is different, but you still decide over a period of time.

Maupay is not a new player and was not highlighted in your original post. I think we all know his merits and weaknesses by now.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
You need to go back to your first post and then re-read, that is what I thought we were discussing ��.

Of course the fans are entitled to opinions, the point is to pass judgment on new players after 45 mins, IMO is just silly…..
I agree about the forum as well, which is why we are discussing what I consider a snap judgement based on 45 mins.

If you work for the club and see the players every day, then of course that is different, but you still decide over a period of time.

Maupay is not a new player and was not highlighted in your original post. I think we all know his merits and weaknesses by now.

I've re-read my original post and I stand by it.

'the point is to pass judgment on new players after 45 mins, IMO is just silly'

But you did exactly that on the Enciso thread ! You passed your own judgement, while agreeing with another contributor's judgements.

I should add that I completely agree with your judgements.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

But you did exactly that on the Enciso thread ! You passed your own judgement, while agreeing with another contributor's judgements.

Double standards on NSC? I don’t believe it :lolol:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The highlights are the official club YouTube and are less than 2 minutes long. That’s with several moments being repeated in slow motion so I can only assume it was an uneventful game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Ok, then I hope you are right - I and possibly the majority would say it’s too early to judge 😃.

Re the other thread, I agreed with the post saying he looked promising, which he does. I Haven’t definitively said he will be a success 😃

I also raised a similar player who many on NSC rated initially but actually IMO wasn’t great.

He may be crap from now on. (Let’s hope not).

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Ok, then I hope you are right - I and possibly the majority would say it’s too early to judge ��.

Re the other thread, I agreed with the post saying he looked promising, which he does. I Haven’t definitively said he will be a success ��

I also raised a similar player who many on NSC rated initially but actually IMO wasn’t great.

He may be crap from now on. (Let’s hope not).

Indeed. I thought Enciso turned in a very creditable performance, and was better than I expected. I thought he would get knocked off the ball more. This could still happen in the PL of course.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Well, having him sign for USG immediatly instead keeps down the foreign loan-quota.

Agree a bit much is read into it though. Sure, if he performs really well, Brighton would obviously be the most likely destination in the PL, but the main reason he signed for USG was probably because they need him rather than some complicated, wonky long-term Albion development project.

My biggest take away from it all is- haven’t we got a huge squad?

Yup, it is gigantic and plenty of players will be off before the season starts.

Karbo, Connolly, Andone, Duffy, Östigård, Richards, Clarke, Sima and Zeqiri are probably off before the season starts. Maybe loans for Offiah and Sarmiento, though GP appears to think they're pretty close to ready.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, having him sign for USG immediatly instead keeps down the foreign loan-quota.

Irrelevant. We can have eight (or is it seven now?) loans abroad anyway, and U21s are not included. Having him on loan at USG (if we wanted to) wouldn't affect our plans at all. Even Sima, off to Angers, wasn't 21 until June so still qualifies as an U21.

Of course a lot is 'read into it' - it's the bloody S*n ,making up 2+2=7.5 bollox - that's what I said!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports