Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton players who could head a ball

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Last season one of our main weaknesses was the lack of headed goals especially from corners.
Greer is probably our best headerer of the ball and defensive headers he is up there with the best.
However from an attacking point of view he is cack in the air as with the majority of our players. He spends more time blocking opposition defenders in the box allowing one of our midget players a sniff of goal instead of having a pop himself.
I don't recall a bullet header or otherwise all season that had the wow factor.
The importance of scoring headers was shown in the Champions League Final the other night.
What players have we had in the past or even current ones who you could say really could head a ball?
Steve Foster springs to mind as does someone like Doug Rougvie.
My favourite would have been Micky Small; a player that would not have been fun to mark in aerial combats.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Did Steve Foster actually have many headed goals for the Albion? None spring to mind.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Would like to see Brezovan use his head to clear balls away from the danger area.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of our best at defending was Nicky Blisset and attacking was Alex Dawson. Because Steve Foster won so many headers in defence this enabled his partner first Lawrenson and then Stevens to concentrate on the ball on the ground.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Guy Butters was the master at aerial defending. Pleased to see he did so well with Winchester City this season as manager

The first guy that jumped into my head when i read the thread title. He could just read where the ball was going and beat everyone to it...without running anywhere!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
El-Abd has got a decent header. I remember last/this season he actually turned a defensive header into a through-ball for CMS. Middlesbrough game or something? I don't remember which.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I'd go for alkex dawson as the most fearless.
He wasn't the tallest but could leap high for a big man but, what made him special, was that he'd put his head to anything, rocket shots not just crosses and he was also an expert at the diving header, torpeodo style. There is a great picture of him somewhere doing just that, horizontal and just 2 or 3 feet above the ground. no wonder he bore the scars on his face!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'd go for alkex dawson as the most fearless.
He wasn't the tallest but could leap high for a big man but, what made him special, was that he'd put his head to anything, rocket shots not just crosses and he was also an expert at the diving header, torpeodo style. There is a great picture of him somewhere doing just that, horizontal and just 2 or 3 feet above the ground. no wonder he bore the scars on his face!

Have you visited the British Pathe website? It has video footage of his hat-trick in an FA Cup semi-final...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Gordon Smith. A peach of a header against Crystal Palace in 1981. A peach of a header against Manchester United in 1983.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Have you visited the British Pathe website? It has video footage of his hat-trick in an FA Cup semi-final...

I have seen them but the 17yo Dawson was a much different player by the time he signed for Albion when I think he must have been over 32. he had grown in the 'brick outhouse' of a man, all muscle & power although there were flashes of mobility. he revelled in the fact that he was the toughest player around and other players feared to get in the way of this bettering ram.

His type of player are certainly from a bygone age.

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
murray was quality in the air in league one. his timing was perfect. he seemed to hang in the air for ages

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here