Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton/ Palace late 70's early 80's

Jan 30, 2008
after the game at Stamford Bridge

I was about 12/13 years old at the time,wasn't allowed to go in the boozer with the lot I was with
so I was stood in the doorway and another lad from Newhaven a bit older than me 17/18 was designated to look after me

he was a half cast,the reason I mention this is for what followed,a mob of around 20 lads come marching rouind the corner with this big black lad at the head of it
the big black lad says"oh look a Brighton n*gger,I've always wanted to headbutt a Brighton n*gger"
with that he duly delivers with a technique iI've seen before or since,he jumped up in the air and butted him on the way down
this Ginger haired lad punched me square in the face,almost like slow motion,then came the 5/10 seconds of playing football with us,before finally the lot Inside the pub came spilling out and chased them down the road

not a good night all round

the buggers have still got my scarf:lol:
Yeah i got bullied for mine in Goldstone lane night game by older Palace, got one of there's a few years later at victoria station
regards
DR

Recall getting at hh with a couple of mates then getting surrounded by palace on the train,as luck would have it i had seen the main lad at palace v vale a week earlier and recalled what he was wearing.This convinced them we were palace the problem came coming off at Brighton the ticket staff also thought we were palace and wanted tickets from croydon:facepalm: The palace lads tried to convince the rail staff that we were brighton from hh while thinking we were palace:thumbsup: Bumped into the same palace after the game at a lively hove station the puzzled look on their faces was a picture:mad: Coming down from hh would often be tricky it was like russian roulette getting on the brighton train:shootself

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Getting off at pp was a palace option:blush:

Remember early 80s knew a few would get off there so 20 or so of us waited at the end of the walkway on the far side then let them come under the tunnel and up the stairs planning to let them come to the end before jumping them - unfortunately a hothead got over-excited and let out a cry as they reached the top of the stairs and they were on their toes!

We chased them down to Preston Road where they stopped briefly (very briefly!) to pick some missiles out of a skip but then carried on running down past Preston Park - we gave up chasing them when we got to the Rockery!

I was half the age I am now and that Chase would finish me off now!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I went to several Brighton Palace games back in the 70s and early 80s. The rivalry is much stronger now, for some reason, even though it seems some folk think differently (everything takes on a lustre when viewed from a distance, to quote Blaine Reininger). I mean, from our perspective. I'm not sure they are that bothered at all, now they are aiming for premiership medioctity.

Lowlights include having to duck behind a police van with one of my brothers as palace teenagers threw rocks at us (that was at an away game), being stuck on a train from Hove to Brighton, with sardine-packed Palace who jumped on the train at the last minute. In those days it was safer to not have a scarf, and I just looked like a whey-faced prog rock fan, so they ignored me. Nothing happened.

I recall Albion fans racially abusing Hillaire, and Palace racially abusing a bloack Brighton player (forget who) at Sellhurst, then everyone laughing at the absurdity of it.

But, fun though a bit of actual rivalry was (when I grew up folk sang about Pompey, but we never played them so it was arid - who cares about Workington and Halifax?), especially the Ward vs Taylor era, Palace were just another small club like us, and Albion supporters at the Goldstone always seemed a bit awestruck when the likes of Spurs and Man United came to town. The big boys.

The Bosun and suchlike were all familiar to 'us' when I was a teenager, but this was nothing to do with my world, and despite attending countless high category games, I never saw a punch thrown. Not even when Millwall came to visit, with their J cloth masks. I guess you had to seek it to find it.

My most scarey moment actually was at Shitehole a few years ago, when me and my son were shunted out of our way by the daft police, and we ended up in a street with only Palace in it, haring about looking for someone to point and shout at. They steamed up the road and ignored us, but I had to see a proctologist to get my underpants out.

I gather that punch ups are now arranged in a civilized fashion by older gentlemen of rival clubs, all of whom have each other's cellphone numbers, but I'm not sure much actual fighting takes place. A bit like bull fighting in Portugal: lots of goading, posteuring and gesticulating, but at the end of the day everyone goes home relatively intact (or gets arrested and sent down for18 months).

Personally I have always preferred to have a good laugh at the footy, with the winner fans being the ones with the greater mastery of sarcasm and wit. I'd rather have a boyfriend than be Welsh, etc.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Have to say that my experiences of the late 70s and early 80s were much the same as oneillco and Harry Wilson's tackle.

It's like the Teenage sex syndrome, lots of talk, lots of posturing and very little action. There were things kicking off, but not on the scale I see described on here. However, just like the teenage sex syndrome, 40 years later, everyone's memory is that they were was right in the middle of it with it all happening to them :)

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

Have to say that my experiences of the late 70s and early 80s were much the same as oneillco and Harry Wilson's tackle.

It's like the Teenage sex syndrome, lots of talk, lots of posturing and very little action. There were things kicking off, but not on the scale I see described on here. However, just like the teenage sex syndrome, 40 years later, everyone's memory is that they were was right in the middle of it with it all happening to them :)

I think a formula was the more involved the less punches got landed! It seems the amounts involved now are smaller but a bit nastier:moo:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Exactly. To take the analogy further, with a minor correction, there was actually a huge amount of action but if my mmory serves me it was mostly with one's self :facepalm:

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Remember going in the away end at the Goldstone when we played em in 78 I would guess with 20 or so older probably Bosun lads.

We stood at the back then a good few of them came up the terraces as we pretended to be Palace and then as they got nearer chanting and saying 'alright lads' we said 'f**k off - we're Brighton!' and steamed them chasing them back down the terraces until we got lobbed out by the OB and thrown in the North Stand!

Thought I was Billy Bigshit for a week after that!! 💪

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
even as late as 86/87 had the misfortune of bumping into a fair sized palace mob outside the north west corner

Jan 30, 2008
even as late as 86/87 had the misfortune of bumping into a fair sized palace mob outside the north west corner
turned out a good firm that day still had an outside chance of promotion ,smashed the club shop windows after the game after making an attempt to get into the north stand and legged a few Brighton behind the West stand, were you one of them ?
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
I was right back into the South Stand! :wrong:
sage ,there were 6 of us on Brighton station concourse when their train came in from Hove after the game ,felt slightly uncomfortable about the whole experience ,seemed Brighton were low key that day
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here