Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton/ Palace late 70's early 80's

Jan 30, 2008
The pubs to go to before matches in the 70s were the Bosun and Lamb & Flag and maybe The Quadrant by the clocktower. I don't remember Queens Road pubs having a bad element at this time unless you got thirsty from the walk up from West Street to the station and popped into one for a quick half.
went in the lamb and flag when we played West ham seemed some people were happy to look out the window that day :facepalm:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Always loads running about making up the numbers but this particular day seemed to have a huge turn out from sussex,150ish getting on at hh from midsussex but trains where already rammed,around 700 trying to exit east croydon station from just one train.Never seen these numbers before or since:moo:
yep remember coming up from lewes that day and loads in the pubs outside H/H station early doors
regards
DR

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
went in the lamb and flag when we played West ham seemed some people were happy to look out the window that day :facepalm:
regards
DR
Was that the Friday night or Saturday before the match/?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
There are elements of truth in "The Seagulleaters" account but he massively exaggerates the numbers, and gives the impression that these were all hardened hooligans. As a lot of people on here will know the vast majority of us young teenagers on both sides were only acting the hooligan but liked the excitement. Based on the 4 or 5 Palace/Brighton matches I went to in that era I reckon there were around 200-300 on each side who would actually throw a punch.

I was referring to the 1st account, which reads like a fairy story. 10k on the Pier etc etc. Seagulleaters I have no idea I was too young (Don't get to say that too often these days). 80's onwards some interesting clashes mostly won by us bar the 87 game.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Clapham possibly, but Anerley think you'll find that there was plenty of your lot about, just couldn't seen to be able to figure out how to get out of the pub...

Still making hand gestures through the window is so much more fun eh?
They might have got off at clapham junction, never at clapham thouggh, there'd be no point, its not on the way.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
after the game at Stamford Bridge

I was about 12/13 years old at the time,wasn't allowed to go in the boozer with the lot I was with
so I was stood in the doorway and another lad from Newhaven a bit older than me 17/18 was designated to look after me

he was a half cast,the reason I mention this is for what followed,a mob of around 20 lads come marching rouind the corner with this big black lad at the head of it
the big black lad says"oh look a Brighton n*gger,I've always wanted to headbutt a Brighton n*gger"
with that he duly delivers with a technique iI've seen before or since,he jumped up in the air and butted him on the way down
this Ginger haired lad punched me square in the face,almost like slow motion,then came the 5/10 seconds of playing football with us,before finally the lot Inside the pub came spilling out and chased them down the road

not a good night all round

the buggers have still got my scarf:lol:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You're right it was Junction...

clapham junction.jpg :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Went in there every home game early 80's only about 20 of us so not sure when this reputation came in?

A bit before your time. A new landlord took over in 1979 , Alan , an ex-copper from Merseyside who didn't stand for any nonsense. All the nutjobs and meatheads were made unwelcome shall we say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here