Brighton i360 construction update.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So working on Brighton seafront I get asked daily what that big pole is. Before, it was a fracking drill to make Brighton independent from the UK for power, most tourists believed me!
Now it's a barometer, the higher up it goes the better the weather and temperature. And still people believe me!
Off subject slightly, all this work at the bottom of West Street to change the building that was there. Last week, six months after the council caused chaos with the road closures, I got a planning application for the new restaurant going in there. So the chances are no work will be done this year.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
i360-007.jpg

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Apparently they are still testing the pod. Is it not as smooth a ride as they hoped?

"Bosses had hoped to open the viewing attraction "in time for the school summer holidays" (July 22) with chief executive Eleanor Harris telling The Argus in May that an opening date would be confirmed in June.

However, an i360 spokeswoman said yesterday management are hoping to open before the end of the school summer holidays, in September."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1461...ncels_more_bookings_while_pod_tests_continue/

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Apparently they are still testing the pod. Is it not as smooth a ride as they hoped?

"Bosses had hoped to open the viewing attraction "in time for the school summer holidays" (July 22) with chief executive Eleanor Harris telling The Argus in May that an opening date would be confirmed in June.

However, an i360 spokeswoman said yesterday management are hoping to open before the end of the school summer holidays, in September."
With good luck and a fair wind it could be open in time for winter.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Yep, I'm shocked at this delay though. For all intent and purposes it can go up and down so all I can think that the problem is would be some sort of pod shake in the wind and they need to stabilise it better.

Have a look at the original design for the Clock Tower with a ball that rose up on a pole according to what time etc . This was beset with problems from the start and was a Victorian design , and they knew how to build things . We still haven't got that working , so for the same fundemental design for the I 360 what do we expect . !!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Have a look at the original design for the Clock Tower with a ball that rose up on a pole according to what time etc . This was beset with problems from the start and was a Victorian design , and they knew how to build things . We still haven't got that working , so for the same fundemental design for the I 360 what do we expect . !!

I seem to remember them trying fix it a good few years back.

Probably mainly through lack of council motivation I would imagine. Let's hope the thought of losing £1/4m each week will keep them on their toes.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
I cannot believe this has flooded, it is hardly located in the best of places if this is going to be a common feature and we are in the summer? You would think someone would have taken extra steps to make the whole thing water tight? The future doesn't look very bright for this.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I cannot believe this has flooded, it is hardly located in the best of places if this is going to be a common feature and we are in the summer? You would think someone would have taken extra steps to make the whole thing water tight? The future doesn't look very bright for this.

Do you think it was because it's still a building site?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton

Good point, there's clearly been no scientific or engineering advances since the 19th century, hence why we i am sending this message by telegraph

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth had major problems with the external lift which ended up being removed completely I presume the additional delay is down to testing and commissioning to make sure there is no similar embarrassing balls ups here. I still think the Spinnaker Tower looks far more iconic than the very industrial looking i360.

9907_05_8---Spinnaker-Tower--Portsmouth_web.jpg

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth had major problems with the external lift which ended up being removed completely I presume the additional delay is down to testing and commissioning to make sure there is no similar embarrassing balls ups here. I still think the Spinnaker Tower looks far more iconic than the very industrial looking i360.

It says; "Probably almost every lift expert in the country has worked on it at one time or another. We've decided there's no point in pouring good money after bad."

The i360 say that it is vertical cable car technology, but in reality it is a lift that no one has built before.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bit short sighted taking down the wheel if it's not going to open before late September.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bit short sighted taking down the wheel if it's not going to open before late September.

Not really. Not if the alternative option was to sign up to another XX-year lease for the wheel, which would waste money if the lease then got cancelled in a few months time when i360 opens.

I have no problem with waiting until they know it is working perfectly – rather that than the alternative. Unfortunately there is no option but to do the last stage of test and development in the public eye – unlike other new products, which can be evaluated in a lab. In the grand scheme of things – and in the long-term – it's a small price to pay.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
It says; "Probably almost every lift expert in the country has worked on it at one time or another. We've decided there's no point in pouring good money after bad."

The i360 say that it is vertical cable car technology, but in reality it is a lift that no one has built before.

I am ignorant on the particular mechanics of this but haven't vertical observation towers been around for a long time? Is this. A new kind of technology?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports