Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I am ignorant on the particular mechanics of this but haven't vertical observation towers been around for a long time? Is this. A new kind of technology?

Yep we have vertical observation towers like the CN Tower or Eiffel Tower but these use lifts to get up to an observation deck.

The i360 describe the tech as vertical cable car technology, with an observation pod that moves up and down. This is the first time anything like this on this scale has been built.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Yep, but the council will be liable cover the loan payments if the i360 isn't trading. So it will certainly be keeping some people on their toes.

The Contractor could also be liable for liquidated damages payable to the council if the delay is down to him - these cold be quite high if based on projected revenue, but depends on what was negotiated when the contract was being set up

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Had a wander along the seafront yesterday, the first time I've seen the i360 close up. It's far from complete.

What I was most impressed by was the size of the site and once it's complete (when that'll be who knows) the whole area will be tidied up. There's also a massive site at the bottom of West Street where they're doing structural work and rebuilding the Shelter Hall.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's actually been built by Poma, the French ski lift, cable car builders. To which I have entrusted my life to countless times. Pity the design was done by somebody else.

site-dlider-2-dsc_3296.jpg
slide-dsc_0581.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I was quite looking forward to it being done but now the main bit is up I'm not impressed. From up close it is quite impressive I must admit but from a distance, where I live, it is just a big sticky up thing in a skyline being increasingly cluttered with sticky up things. Meh.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I was quite looking forward to it being done but now the main bit is up I'm not impressed. From up close it is quite impressive I must admit but from a distance, where I live, it is just a big sticky up thing in a skyline being increasingly cluttered with sticky up things. Meh.

I think I'm mostly impressed by how much of the city you can see it from. I don't think there's anything else that's as consistent.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Opens 4th August. Tickets available now.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Looks like other countries may be interested in their own i360. This was in one of the construction trade journals today

attachment.php

Attachments

• i360.JPG
    i360.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 744

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
With the state of Europe at the moment, you won't catch me up in that anytime soon.

Sponsored by BA
200 people at a time
Large Queues
In the Gay and hedonist capital of the UK
Showpiece of western engineering
Hugely anticipated
Hard to protect
No escapes routes
No thanks.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
With the state of Europe at the moment, you won't catch me up in that anytime soon.

Sponsored by BA
200 people at a time
Large Queues
Hugely anticipated
Hard to protect
No escapes routes
No thanks.
I concur.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Sponsored by BA
200 people at a time
Large Queues
Hugely anticipated
Hard to protect
No escapes routes
No thanks.

You're more likely to get hit by a bus on Western Road anyway...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Given the current threats to my life, in view of the posts above, from now on I'm not:
Going to cross any roads.
Get in or go on any kind of vehicle.
Go near water.
Leave the house.
Go upstairs in the house.
Eat anything with bones.
No thanks.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I try not to let the terror threat get to me, I largely feel very safe in my normal comings and goings. However unlikely statistically the tower is to be attacked it, to me, looks like a glaring target to some IS nutter or whatnot. In the news at the New Year it mentioned Brighton was found on a list of desired IS targets.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Really looking forward to the inaugural flight full of self-important local dignitaries having to be rescued when the thing breaks down at the top of the pole, as it surely must. Them's the rules :lol:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
No escapes routes

Perhaps there are...somehow ? But we certainly cannot see how. I just had a horrible thought about a certain old disaster movie called The Towering Inferno. They were up a skyscraper with no escape route .. At the WTC in 2001 they could at least walk downstairs to safety , mainly.

If the worst happens either by accident or design..does anybody know what they will do?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Perhaps there are...somehow ? But we certainly cannot see how. I just had a horrible thought about a certain old disaster movie called The Towering Inferno. They were up a skyscraper with no escape route .. At the WTC in 2001 they could at least walk downstairs to safety , mainly.

If the worst happens either by accident or design..does anybody know what they will do?

I'm sure they have parachutes hidden under the seats - or Mary Poppins umbrellas at the very least

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here