Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I really wasn't implying people would be queuing for drinks on the downs.
No, you were saying the opposite.

My point, which I think you know
I'm just going on what you said, I'm not trying to add anything or misunderstand your point.
is that it's a 20 min ride, potentially 200 people on board, if you want a drink you'll be stood with your back to the view , waiting.
I don't disagree with that. But you were comparing it with a walk on the downs, and we should compare like with like. You said:

"Take a walk on the Downs, the views are better, you can see much more, it's free, you get some exercise, you can experience something for yourself rather than experiencing someone else's vision while lining their pockets. And you don't have to queue at a bar with your back to the scenery."

I'm not arguing with your first points (views, price, exercise), but you can't say the i360 is worse because you have to queue at the bar. There's no drink on the downs and you don't have to have one on the i360 either.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why do people even need to drink on a 20 minute ride, 30 minutes in the evening? I guess its a revenue thing for the i360 but are people really that desperate for alcohol. :shrug:
I don't think people need the drink, it's more of a nice way to enjoy a drink - or at least it would be if it wasn't so crowded. If there were just 40 people in there I could easily imagine enjoying a cold beer as I watch the sun set on Brighton. Among 200 people though, I'm not so fussed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No, you were saying the opposite.

I'm just going on what you said, I'm not trying to add anything or misunderstand your point.
I don't disagree with that. But you were comparing it with a walk on the downs, and we should compare like with like. You said:

"Take a walk on the Downs, the views are better, you can see much more, it's free, you get some exercise, you can experience something for yourself rather than experiencing someone else's vision while lining their pockets. And you don't have to queue at a bar with your back to the scenery."

I'm not arguing with your first points (views, price, exercise), but you can't say the i360 is worse because you have to queue at the bar. There's no drink on the downs and you don't have to have one on the i360 either.
. I said there is no queuing for drinks on the downs. You could if you want take drinks on to the downs, you would not have to queue to drink from your own backpack. I doubt you can take drinks onto the tower

However the wasn't really my point. It's like saying I prefer to go to the beach than the city because you can swim at the beach. It's not implying one can swim through the streets of London, it's stating why one is preferred. I hope that's cleared up any misunderstanding.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You could if you want take drinks on to the downs, you would not have to queue to drink from your own backpack.
That's a fair point, but trying to keep it cool takes a fair bit more effort than just asking the bar tender for a beer.

However the wasn't really my point. It's like saying I prefer to go to the beach than the city because you can swim at the beach. It's not implying one can swim through the streets of London, it's stating why one is preferred. I hope that's cleared up any misunderstanding.
Not really, sorry. If you're saying:
'I'd rather go to the shops and buy a beer, cool it at home, then pack it with cooling block in a cool bag and carry it up the downs, than have to queue for a beer'
then fair enough - both get you a cool beer, each option is different.

But you were just saying one reason the downs are better is that you don't have to queue at a bar. You don't HAVE to on the i360 either, you can just go without a drink, making the downs and i360 the same from that point of view.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That's a fair point, but trying to keep it cool takes a fair bit more effort than just asking the bar tender for a beer.

Not really, sorry. If you're saying:
'I'd rather go to the shops and buy a beer, cool it at home, then pack it with cooling block in a cool bag and carry it up the downs, than have to queue for a beer'
then fair enough - both get you a cool beer, each option is different.

But you were just saying one reason the downs are better is that you don't have to queue at a bar. You don't HAVE to on the i360 either, you can just go without a drink, making the downs and i360 the same from that point of view.

I think you are spending too much time thinking about one line from a post. I'll agree with you if it will give you some peace of mind.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think you are spending too much time thinking about one line from a post.
Me, spending too much time on one little point!? Give over.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Me, spending too much time on one little point!? Give over.

You have systematically broken down and analysed all my posts on here, almost line by line and obsessed over a point you have misunderstood. You're boring me now. Layers, players.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wooosh

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I like the downs, the i360 and a beer, now when's the bloody fireworks rescheduled for ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not see it mentioned anywhere, but are there any Amex-style security checks on the i360? Frisking? Searching of backpacks? Only ask because I fairly recently did the very excellent Sky Garden viewing from the top of the walkie-talkie building in London town and the levels of security there were very similar to those at Gatwick airport, for obvious reasons.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not see it mentioned anywhere, but are there any Amex-style security checks on the i360? Frisking? Searching of backpacks?
I'd bloody hope so.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Not see it mentioned anywhere, but are there any Amex-style security checks on the i360? Frisking? Searching of backpacks? Only ask because I fairly recently did the very excellent Sky Garden viewing from the top of the walkie-talkie building in London town and the levels of security there were very similar to those at Gatwick airport, for obvious reasons.
Security? Our experience last Friday night was pretty alarming. Having emerged from a meal at the truly excellent Al Fresco restaurant next door, I noticed the ground level i360 reception area and shop, thronging with people. Seeing the main doors open. I wandered in, and to my astonishment noticed that the pod doors were wide open, with no one apparently in attendance.

So taking my chance, I just strolled into the pod and ambled around nonchalantly, expecting to be challenged by Security, if not carted off to the cells. Instead, the few people inside, including one or two uniformed staff, took no notice whatsoever. I would have had ample time to deposit my backpack and tiptoe away.

Having emerged into the night air, we mentioned this to a couple of staff, who promised they'd report it immediately. Instead, we watched them just sloping off for a fag and a sit-down, at the end of their no doubt exhausting shift.

I would have thought that this brand-new, high profile 'attraction', right at the heart of Europe's gay capital, might provide quite a promising target for those wishing to claim their virgins. Perhaps I am wrong.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I have always said that it would have been better suited to being located offshore at the end of a new pier, and now I am certain of it. It looks ok from the distance but as you get closer it is always in the line of sight as if a pencil is being held up close to ones eye. I have no problem with the tower in principle but the council and WPT made a mistake by putting it roadside and not out to sea.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I am on the downs now, no queue for a beer and a great view, including the i360..
fb4a5229f642a54a7d07b08ccb34aa6c.jpg

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We went today. Great views, impressive piece of engineering, really enjoyed it. Including my £8.50 G&T.

It's much bigger than I'd expected and there's loads of space to wander round and see the view from different sides despite the number of people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here