Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Crystal Palace *** Official Match Thread ***

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
We took the game to Palace controlled most of the first 45mins but weren't clinical enough and couldnt finish several promising attacking moves. Palace were on top at the restart until Albion grew back into the game. Overall a point was the least Albion deserved but you have to take your chances. We continually miss many. Only 2 PL teams have lost fewer games. This season has been frustrating at times but equally exciting and filled with optimism. Lets not forget Hereford. We've come a long way.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Back to his best, Moder was fantastic for 90+ minutes in defensive work and in our passing/probing game.

When you think there is generally a feeling you need a combatitive defensive player in midfield, which Bissouma is for us and a huge miss, but still, I thought our best period, MacAllister & Moder, 2 what I would describe as skills players dominated that area. I saw a Argentinian terrier come to the surface and looked like could well be in [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]’s Seven (good to see you last night, even just fleeting! 👍🏼), both showed far from being bullied they can be bullies!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I have just watched the highlights and, although a little biased, I thought Butland dropped the ball when it came into contact with Maupay.
Maupay's leg had been high but he brought it down well before any contact.

Also, when Moder was through he was given a shove just as he shot. It was not a shoulder contact but hand to shoulder.

The blinkered and prosaic interpretation of the rule has really irritated me. Butland was in control of the ball, until he wasn't. Maupay doesn't kick the ball out of his hands, Butland loses control because he pushes the ball down onto Maupay's knee. Had he lost control in the same way when connecting with the ground, there would have been no question that he wasn't in control of the ball. Maupay didn't make a challenge, yet was deemed to have committed a foul. I'm usually pessimistic about this stuff, but when they accidentally showed it on the big screen before VAR looked at it, it seemed obvious to me that the error was Butland's and it was a goal. Utter nonsense that two referees and a load of pundits cannot understand the subtle difference between a goalkeeper being in control of the ball and being fouled and being seemingly in control of the ball and spilling it because he wasn't.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When you think there is generally a feeling you need a combatitive defensive player in midfield, which Bissouma is for us and a huge miss, but still, I thought our best period, MacAllister & Moder, 2 what I would describe as skills players dominated that area. I saw a Argentinian terrier come to the surface and looked like could well be in [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]’s Seven (good to see you last night, even just fleeting! 👍🏼), both showed far from being bullied they can be bullies!

The Mac Allister transformation’s so notable and funny. You can take the Argentinian out of Argentina, but not the ….. .

18 months ago a young, slight, skilled player, un-Simeone like.

Now that rare combination (Case, Souness) of being a skilful midfielder who’s also a battler with the dark arts.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I agree, similar to you I'm biased, but I don't think the GK had control of the ball, based on the below.

I don't think the ball was between his hands, in fact I think it had rebounded off him.

I was in ESL, E1H. Quite low and not the best view of the wider match but, oddly, a superb view of the disallowed goal. I didn’t event celebrate. Turned to my daughter (who was celebrating) and just said that it was going to get chalked off. That’s not to debate the merit of the decision. You just know that keepers are going to get away with that all day long.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

LIkewise my friend.

Yes I mentioned I didn't think Argie Jocko was going to get out of the game without a booking - nice.

On the last count he was one of 4 or 5 players who could step into the coverted 7th spot.
I was caution of recency bias.

But a couple more games like last night and he'll definitely be relegating the others into Solly's Showpony Club.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was in ESL, E1H. Quite low and not the best view of the wider match but, oddly, a superb view of the disallowed goal. I didn’t event celebrate. Turned to my daughter (who was celebrating) and jus said that it was going to get chalked off. That’s not to debate the merit of the decision. You just know that keepers are going to get away with that all day long.

For me there's a lot to be said about where you sit influencing how you view the game.

I'm Family Stand 6 yards out halfway back.

So comfortably above the players (Other than Lukaku!) but not high enough to appreciate centre midfield or the first half. :lol:

Only when right at the top of WSU for a random cup game did I fully acknowledge Stephens, although I could never move there, far too Playstationy for my liking.
At that point I realised I'd been far far to critical of Bridcutt, despite not really being that critical.

But subsequently can really note just how good Bis is.

The flip side being, the linage from Calde/Buckley through to Tariq now, has felt like the game is being played on my lap.

Hence Ali J and Skalak's goals will always be with me, as I was in the perfect position to see them.

Alternatively you can just watch what the Sky director wants you to see!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I was in ESL, E1H. Quite low and not the best view of the wider match but, oddly, a superb view of the disallowed goal. I didn’t event celebrate. Turned to my daughter (who was celebrating) and jus said that it was going to get chalked off. .

Ditto......and I was in the North!

Weird whilst everyone around me was going nuts I didn't, as it just didn't look 'right' and I knew it would go to VAR.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For me there's a lot to be said about where you sit influencing how you view the game.

I'm Family Stand 6 yards out halfway back.

So comfortably above the players (Other than Lukaku!) but not high enough to appreciate centre midfield or the first half. :lol:

Only when right at the top of WSU for a random cup game did I fully acknowledge Stephens, although I could never move there, far too Playstationy for my liking.
At that point I realised I'd been far far to critical of Bridcutt, despite not really being that critical.

But subsequently can really note just how good Bis is.

The flip side being, the linage from Calde/Buckley through to Tariq now, has felt like the game is being played on my lap.

Hence Ali J and Skalak's goals will always be with me, as I was in the perfect position to see them.

Alternatively you can just watch what the Sky director wants you to see!

Watching Tyrek Mitchell go from comfortable left back performance to cowering wreck after Lamptey & March came on was ring side for us!! :D

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The Albion remind me of a considerate lover.

They always makes sure the other party get their kicks scoring first, then holding off until the end of proceedings to bang one one in then the final whistle blows.

Potterball based on ‘The Lovers Guide’ perhaps… [emoji2369]

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
This was the type of game that Brighton would have lost last season - they had a soft underbelly through most of the season.

The noticable difference this season is that the team are getting a result -win or draw - when last season the same game would have ended in a draw or loss. The soft underbelly seems to have been resolved and that is why the team are sitting in 8th spot. Credit goes to Potter for sorting that out.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Just finished watching the match (on replay, not slow internet...)

We were excellent from start to finish. It's difficult to be anything but proud of that performance, especially the way we just kept going relentlessly. Should have won obviously but if you're going to draw then a late equaliser is the most fun way of doing it.

I thought Maupay's goal was fine but maybe I don't understand the rule properly. I thought it was that you couldn't deliberately kick/knock the ball out of the keepers hands. Maupay didn't do that his and Butland's momentum brought them together and Butland fumbled it.

I feel dirty for saying this but...the Palace goal was actually excellent. Kept the ball for a sustained period under intense pressing and pressure from us and then Gallagher found the one spot BDB couldn't get his head to. Galling that it was the only bit of attacking quality they produced all game but at least it didn't win them the game.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Palace goal was from a tactic we used to use under Poyet, draw keeper and defenders to side of goal, pass to some one in middle of penalty area to fire home

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well, it will be Beaky authorising the payment for this helmet's souvenir:

[tweet]1482120009195347976[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, it will be Beaky authorising the payment for this helmet's souvenir:

[tweet]1482120009195347976[/tweet]

This that their new stand*?