Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt sold £3.25million. (with Sunderland kit picture)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think the difference between a player and normal work (such as a pub manager) is that the the assistant pub manager has not hapilly signed a long term contract which usually secures a hefty pay rise in the process. It has an end date at which the player can either renew with their existing club or seek an alternative with a signing on fee. It is all so geared up to the players these days and I think that this is the cause of the ill feeling when this sort of thing happens. A pub manager would simply serve notice in line with their contract and move on and has therefore not broken or attempted to break the agreement.

Or, as often happens, they have three months notice to serve and say "stuff that", I'm off up the road for more money. I just think we look at footballer's as our possessions and think they have the same feeling and allegiance to clubs as we do, they don't. The same can be said of people I send on training course, the contract ties them in for twelve months or they pay the money back, most get the training, gain more skills and want more money, of course, or leave.

We pay more to retain the better ones and others leave, as with football, if one of our guys said I want say £40k a year and I can only afford £35k, he'll go to a national company and get that sort of money, a footballer is no different and you or I wouldn't be either. They're not "judas", they're not "out for all the money they can get" but they have a short career and earning potential must be maximised during that period, that is always going to be improved by moving up the leagues.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Reflect on this, reflect on that. It doesn't make a blind bit of difference to Gus one way or the other. Sunderland will make their bids, and once the clubs reach a consensus on the fee then they'll thrash out a deal with Bridcutt and his agent. His transfer request is neither here nor there in the great scheme of things - all it does is publically ratify his position that he wants to move to a club in the PL this month - something he has made no secret of in the past anyway. Gus doesn't need Liam to hand in a transfer request to help push this through, it'll happen anyway if Sunderland meet our asking price.

We all knew Liam would be offski if anyone came in with a decent bid that TB deemed acceptable. And with 18 months to go on his contract, now is the right time to sell to get a decent fee for him.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. IMHO Gus wanted Liam to put in a transfer request because it strengthens his bargaining position.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think we'll have to agree to disagree. IMHO Gus wanted Liam to put in a transfer request because it strengthens his bargaining position.

Not sure it does really, in fact it may weaken it as now the request is in other teams have been alerted to Liam's availability. Gus will not be involved in the negotiations or potential fee setting. Ultimately the peole running Sunderland will have to make us a good offer to get Liam, and I hope they do.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh, and Gus saying he had nothing to do with Liam's request is laughable.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not sure it does really, in fact it may weaken it as now the request is in other teams have been alerted to Liam's availability. Gus will not be involved in the negotiations or potential fee setting. Ultimately the peole running Sunderland will have to make us a good offer to get Liam, and I hope they do.

I genuinely hope we get other club's bidding, because that will strengthen our hand. Unfortunately, at the moment, no sign of this happening. And do you really think Gus has no say in acquiring players at Sunderland!?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Would agree with this assessment except it depends on who moves elsewhere during the transfer window. I still think Fulham and Norwich are vulnerable, it could depend on injuries. Don't forget Muzza will soon be back fit for Palace.

He will indeed.

Problem with Murray is that he is knocking on now and injuries like his have a funny habit of recurring. Especially when someone like Agger crunches him.

Obviously I hope Glenn is back scoring thirty goals from dubious penalties for the Jesters as soon as possible.

Obviously.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I genuinely hope we get other club's bidding, because that will strengthen our hand. Unfortunately, at the moment, no sign of this happening. And do you really think Gus has no say in acquiring players at Sunderland!?

I hope so too if it pushes the price up. I am certain that Gus would have recommended Liam to the Sunderland board, as he was such a key player for him, and he could certainly bring some sanity to what seems to be a very dysfunctional squad if my Mackem mates are to be believed. I do not believe however that Gus has the power to throw the board's money around, they will handle that side of it.

FWIW I think Bridcutt will go to Sunderland, the deal makes sense for everyone, we just need Sunderland to be realistic with their offer and we can get it done. I think Liam is done at Brighton now. The emergence of Ince and the increased competition for midfield places means Bridcutt no longer needs to carry this team on his back and he can leave with our best wishes.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, I expect the club to keep schtum post-transfer request.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
When it comes to it, he's a pro footballer. He doesn't want to stay in the reserves and go off the radar. We don't want him to be in the reserves when he could do a job for us.

We want him to be highly valued and we have no pressing need to sell right now unless the price is right. He's under contract until 2015 isn't he.

So, sell now at a price we like or if we need to sell in the summer, sell then. Of course, if we get promoted (if) then both parties can decide if they want to extend the contract.

I really feel the power lies with the club here, and TB is a poker player!

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Club have just confirmed they have rejected the request.

Still don't imagine for one moment this is the end of the matter.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Reiterates the fact that we're not interested in selling him this month, so don't bother wasting our time with derisory offers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here