Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian McDermott and Chris Hughton are still available . . .

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Firstly I don't think Sami is going anywhere just yet.

But for the purposes of this discussion - yes, Sherwood would be a contrast to Hyypia. Loads of passion, but at what cost? Yes, we would see the full range of emotions on the touchline. That might fire up the players and achieve the desired effect - but also carries a risk of the wheels coming off. Having a volatile character like Sherwood in charge leads me to suspect that at some point there would be blood on the carpets, up the walls and all sorts of collateral damage around the club. I'm not sure that Sherwood's 'dirty washing in public' approach is Tony Bloom's style.

You have to ask why Sherwood hasn't picked up one of the numerous managerial vacancies since he left Spurs? I suspect he is seen as a bit of a loose cannon. Maybe he also has such a high opinion of himself and his expectations of budgets to fancy the challenge of working within FFP., especially if there are vacancies at Championship clubs who enjoy parachute money.

It will be interesting to see where Sherwood turns up next.
Well said. Too much of a risk, unproven and expensive to boot! Give Sami till the international break. It probably won't happen, but imagine if there's a messy sacking then we get another bloke who gives us a bounce but then ends up taking us down and Sami goes on to be a top manager elsewhere! I'd rather not take the risk thanks, however small it seems.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
IF there's to be a change of manager, we need a satisfactory answer to TWO questions.

1. Can the new guy get results out of the Albion's current squad?

2. Can the new guy work effectively with the player recruitment arrangements that the Albion have in place?

I suspect that it's going to be more difficult to move forward than people think.

I would think this is no different to any other club in the premier league or championship though. In the modern day most clubs that can afford it have a recruitment structure above the manager, but with managerial input. The challenge that we have had in the last two close seasons is that the manager has not been recruited quick enough in order to properly asses his squad and have a direct input to recruitment.

I really don't understand why fans think our structure is unique.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
it would have happened by now
just not going to happen we can't afford to give away another 1m ................spend it on a striker who can actually strike

We could spend £1m or even more on a striker but with the current tactics I really don't think it would help.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Disagree with this. Squadwise I think we are better than our position in the table suggests - its what Sami is doing with that squad which is the problem. He may not have the players at his disposal to play the system he would like, but persisting with it regardless, when it patently is not working, is the reason why we are where we are. If he remains inflexible and doesn't change this approach pronto, then I think an experienced manager who knows the Championship would be able to get FAR more out of this group of players than Hyypia and his "wingbacks - with - no - wingers" philosophy.

As for McDermott, if he thinks he's in with even the slightest sniff of a chance of stepping into Wengers shoes, then he's got more delusion than the average X-Factor cretin. He'd grab this job with both hands were it offered.

I agree with this. Our squad isn't as good as the last two seasons but if we continued with system and style we were used to or made slight changes I think we'd be mid-table.
Sami may have his system but we don't appear to have the players capable of playing that way or that it makes sense to. Whether this is Sami's fault for being so committed to one way of playing or Bloom/Barber for not spotting this issue when he was appointed is another issue

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No it's not.

The last thing we need is a manager with no experience of leading a team in this division.
I dont really agree with that you need a winner someone to inject some fight into the team, notice how were backing off in the last 20 against Rotherham its pathetic. Some have Sherwood down as a loose cannon but in reality he only speaks the truth his columns make for some intelligent reading.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just need a manager with a bit of grit who sees the Albion job as the END PRIZE rather than just a stepping stone to the job he thinks he deserves, or something to keep him temporarily from signing on the dole til the job he thinks he deserves falls in his lap. A Signing Of Intent that would get all of football talking would be David Moyes. Would cost a packet but would inject some steel in the side that would have a positive knock-on effects for YEARS. Probably get a huge amount of loyalty out of him also, in order for him to prove that the ManU gig was an unwinnable blip in an otherwise top class managerial career.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Just need a manager with a bit of grit who sees the Albion job as the END PRIZE rather than just a stepping stone to the job he thinks he deserves, or something to keep him temporarily from signing on the dole til the job he thinks he deserves falls in his lap. A Signing Of Intent that would get all of football talking would be David Moyes. Would cost a packet but would inject some steel in the side that would have a positive knock-on effects for YEARS. Probably get a huge amount of loyalty out of him also, in order for him to prove that the ManU gig was an unwinnable blip in an otherwise top class managerial career.
you think David Moyes will see Brighton as 'the end prize'???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Why not, for the time being? He's got to now prove himself all over again. He's got to WIN something. Why not aim high? else we'll end up with one of the usual suspects, the Pardews, the Colin Wankers, the David Jones, that happy clappy physio bloke etc etc

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why not, for the time being? He's got to now prove himself all over again. He's got to WIN something. Why not aim high? else we'll end up with one of the usual suspects, the Pardews, the Colin Wankers, the David Jones, that happy clappy physio bloke etc etc

So, just a stepping stone then?

Can we wait until the body is dead before burying it, and seating the successor? Get behind the present manager for the time being.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
'the time being' means stepping stone. Not the end prize. He won't come. He'd be too expensive/not a guarantee of success and therefore a gamble.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

Indeed! There is absolutely no way David Moyes will go from paying £35m for Juan Mata who arrived to sign his contract in a helicopter, to signing the likes of Paddy McCourt for £3.50 arriving on his skateboard. Moyes will not want to take on a club that is lower in perceived status than Everton.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
This thread is bad and you should all feel bad.

People need to chill the hell out. You'd think the world was ending and the Amex had imploded the way things are talked about on here. You're doing more to undermine confidence in the players and Sami than a series of DRAWS (that's not losses, it's draws) or the football that is or isn't being played. Grow up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hughton has a lot going for him - available, no compensation, well-rested, Championship pedigree, Prem experience, good contacts, won't rock the boat. Bloom could do a lot worse.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He took over from Hinshelwood's 10 match losing streak, one of the worst Albion teams of recent years and he very nearly kept us up with us only being relegated on the very last day of the season.

A great manager who would, I'm sure, have achieved the impossible had it not been for Hinshelwood's awful start.

We were out of the relegation zone with six matches to go, but he took us back into it.

I've no dislike of Coppell, but he walked out on us once before, and his tenures at City of 33 days, Bristol City at four months, suggest that he has issues to deal with.

He's also been Palace manager FOUR times.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

People need to chill the hell out. You'd think the world was ending and the Amex had imploded the way things are talked about on here. You're doing more to undermine confidence in the players and Sami than a series of DRAWS (that's not losses, it's draws) or the football that is or isn't being played. Grow up.

If our players' confidence is undermined more by a thread on a chatroom (that isn't critical of them) than failing to win for ages, then that's probably a problem with the players

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Oh do behave.

Do you HONESTLY think Hyypia's confidence and the players confidence is being undermined by whats being written on here by a load of bored office battery-hens wiling the day away ? They won't even heard of NSC, let alone delve into reading these threads. We are not on the players radar.

And if we HAVE got any players who peruse these pages and get all upset, and lose their confidence as a result, then they're hardly the type of players we're going to need to pull us out of this relegation scrap we're drifting into - and with this series of draws, we have drifted right into it, in case you hadn't noticed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Don't feel bad at all. And perhaps you're the one who needs to chill out - can't see anybody claiming the world is ending or that the Amex is imploding; neither is happening and nobody's suggesting it.

But, we've got a mediocre squad - by which I mean they're mostly much of a muchness in terms of ability - and results are going badly, and at the moment heading for a relegation fight. That last statement is, I'm afraid, a fact, and no amount of jumping up and down shouting 'Bad fan, bad fan!' is going to change that.

Nobody wanted a relegation fight, and to be honest, I don't think anybody expected one. It's just that some of us spotted cause for concern* earlier than others. I believe there are a few who even now, in the face of the evidence, are still convinced we'll suddenly start winning everything and storm into the play-offs! I wish!

*concern: an ordinary word roughly equating to anxiety, worry, disquiet, disquietude, apprehension; it does not signify panic, hysteria, incontinence, for example.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
I'm not suggesting they read NSC. This attitude and the seriously tetchy atmosphere it generates were very real last Saturday and it'll get no better. NSC just serves to amplify the feeling of ill-content among the fans who then go and do daft things like boo the team off (deserved or no). None of this helps. None of it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not suggesting they read NSC. This attitude and the seriously tetchy atmosphere it generates were very real last Saturday and it'll get no better. NSC just serves to amplify the feeling of ill-content among the fans who then go and do daft things like boo the team off (deserved or no). None of this helps. None of it.

Why does none of it help? If even a small part of it provides an assist in the board and management team being forced to raise their game then it's worth it. Better than sleepwalking into League One while providing sponsors with stats that say the club has 24,000 satisfied customers. Club has way more to lose than any of us. The FANS will still go to football, and will be delighted with the thinned-out queues for every damn thing due to many of the CUSTOMERS suddenly finding something else to do with their leisure time. It's in the club's own direct interest to listen and respond accordingly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here