Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian McDermott and Chris Hughton are still available . . .

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
That's all l'm saying, the aforementioned managers, both experienced at Championship level, and with a record of getting teams promoted to the Premier League, are currently out of work.

I'm sure you all realise what l am trying to say . . .

All sensible comments welcome.
Never happen.

Both experienced and British. Pretty much counts them out!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sami was given a three year contract so I guess to dismiss him would cost the club over £1 million plus additional sums for coaches etc. leaving That would only increase losses and eat into or extinguish sums for new players.

Given FFP and our ongoing losses I am not sure at this stage the club would be looking to commit to a new manager and provide significant sums for player purchase.

It may cost 1 million in total, but it is not all paid at once, it is paid over his contract as if he were still employed.

So for FFP, you need to look at his annual salary for this year. If he got another job, then the payment from the albion would be reduced, or even cancelled, depending on his new salary.

We need a new manager now. Someone with experience of this division. Coppell, McDermott, Hughton etc. - all good choices for where we are as a club today.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Its the perfect fit for Sherwood if Hypia cant turn it around. He would inject some much needed passion into the squad Houghton is a bore.

No it's not.

The last thing we need is a manager with no experience of leading a team in this division.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The squad is unquestionably weaker, and thats not Hyypia's fault. And I agree with much of what you put here. But I still think a better manager would get far more out of this group of players by playing a more orthodox formation, ie keeping a solid back 4 and enabling our fullbacks to *primarily* defend, but foray forward and combine with someone out wide when the time is right.

O'Grady, Corlunga and Baldock have been poor so far but then they're feeding off scraps, the service into them is almost non-existant. So when they DO miss one of the (meagre) opportunities we manage to carve out, its all the more frustrating and costly, because those opportunities come along so rarely and we know they're probably going to get 1 or 2 chances (TOPS) per game.

Those three players have now played a combined total of 28 games betweem them, and there has been ONE goal - Corlunga's at Swindon. Now if you can tell me thats because they are all missing hatfuls of chances then I'd agree, we need new strikers. But they're not missing hatfuls of chances. Hyypia's system simply doesn't enable the team to be effective enough to create those chances. For me, the *main* reason for that is because we never have an overlap down the wings, therefore we never get in behind teams, and we never stretch them.

Its not the players that need changing, its Hyypia's tactics. And if he won't change them, then IMO we need to change managers.

This, 100%

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It may cost 1 million in total, but it is not all paid at once, it is paid over his contract as if he were still employed.

So for FFP, you need to look at his annual salary for this year. If he got another job, then the payment from the albion would be reduced, or even cancelled, depending on his new salary.

We need a new manager now. Someone with experience of this division. Coppell, McDermott, Hughton etc. - all good choices for where we are as a club today.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you. We the fans are emotional whereas the club are more financially based. Before committing themselves to such increased losses, with no guarantee of greater success from a new guy, they will want to be more sure that Sami will not bring success.

If they could now find a tall relatively mobile proven striker in the loan market, would that be preferable to a management change ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've never wanted to see the Albion get thrashed, can't understand the mentality myself of anyone who supports the club wanting us to lose.

Weren't Poyet, Garcia, Mullery all untried at this level when they started with the club, yet they all did reasonably well getting us into the top six, didn't they?

Well, it goes without saying that l hate to see the Albion get thrashed, BUT if that's what it takes to sort this problem out, so be it.

And yes, as l said in an earlier post, both Poyet and Garcia were untried at this level, (Mullery too), and yes again, all three came good. But the law of averages says that a manager with a track record of success at this level, stands a greater chance of putting things right. No guarantees of course, just a better chance.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The squad is unquestionably weaker, and thats not Hyypia's fault. And I agree with much of what you put here. But I still think a better manager would get far more out of this group of players by playing a more orthodox formation, ie keeping a solid back 4 and enabling our fullbacks to *primarily* defend, but foray forward and combine with someone out wide when the time is right.

O'Grady, Corlunga and Baldock have been poor so far but then they're feeding off scraps, the service into them is almost non-existant. So when they DO miss one of the (meagre) opportunities we manage to carve out, its all the more frustrating and costly, because those opportunities come along so rarely and we know they're probably going to get 1 or 2 chances (TOPS) per game.

Those three players have now played a combined total of 28 games betweem them, and there has been ONE goal - Corlunga's at Swindon. Now if you can tell me thats because they are all missing hatfuls of chances then I'd agree, we need new strikers. But they're not missing hatfuls of chances. Hyypia's system simply doesn't enable the team to be effective enough to create those chances. For me, the *main* reason for that is because we never have an overlap down the wings, therefore we never get in behind teams, and we never stretch them.

Its not the players that need changing, its Hyypia's tactics. And if he won't change them, then IMO we need to change managers.

The last line sums it up perfectly for me too.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Lose tonight and again on Saturday and there could well be another Championship manager given his P45.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Presumably because he's got experience of getting us out of this division?

He took over from Hinshelwood's 10 match losing streak, one of the worst Albion teams of recent years and he very nearly kept us up with us only being relegated on the very last day of the season.

A great manager who would, I'm sure, have achieved the impossible had it not been for Hinshelwood's awful start.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Personally I think Sami has had the tactics all wrong and do not like to hear that he has no intention of changing things around. Houghton is the guy for me and I can only hope that the club are not acting due to the financial implications involved. There will come a time when they will have to, of that I have little doubt.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
You've hit the nail on the head where you say Hyppia doesn't have the players at his disposal he would like.

He doesn't have an Ulloa, he doesn't have a Murray, and he doesn't have a Vicente.

He also doesn't have two wingers, we have Lua Lua and that's it.

We don't have a Noone, we don't have a (Elliot not Joe) Bennett. We are forcing Calderon to play a wide role which is completely alien to him.

Does Greer ever use Calderon as a winger? No. Calde is completely ignored by the defenders when releasing the ball upfield.

We need better players, both up front and out wide. An experienced ex-prem centre-forward for a start. Then some of those 'barn door' shots from midfielders outside the box might actually end up as passes to a forward alert enough to react.

O'Grady missed a golden opportunity to put us 2-1 up in front of the North Stand against the Millers, but he just stood still and watched the ball go straight pass him in the area. His lack of an attempt to connect with the ball spoke volumes for his ability as a striker... It's almost like watching Mark McCammon mk II.

He had better players in Germany and failed (same system or not I've no idea).
If he wanted another winger he could have asked for one, but for what ever reason he doesn't use wingers.

If/when he gets the boot I would love Oscar to come back (not going to happen though) or Steve Clarke who has a point to prove and likes to play football.
I'm far from promotion at all costs (ie ignoring the youth set up and filling the team with journey men who might get us out of the league), which is what is could see McDermott doing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Lose tonight and again on Saturday and there could well be another Championship manager given his P45.

My view was to sack him unless he beat both Huddersfield and Rotherham.

So I think we are behind the curve now, and the time to sack him has already arrived. I suppose if he goes on a winning run then that will save him, and mean the club showed more sense than me.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London

I agree with Easy - for me it's alarming how narrow we look, considering Hyypia's tactics seem to consist of a (slow) swarm forward with everybody condensed in the central areas it's not much of a surprise we're reduced to hopeful pot shots from outside the box. It really is a basic tactical approach and as we've seen, is incredibly easy to defend against. I think the players are there to certainly finish mid-table but I'm afraid that Hyypia has reduced them to relegation fodder.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
have I missed something again
Sami still our manager?

NSC judges have signed his managerial death warrant, but the club is yet to ratify it.

IF there's to be a change of manager, we need a satisfactory answer to TWO questions.

1. Can the new guy get results out of the Albion's current squad?

2. Can the new guy work effectively with the player recruitment arrangements that the Albion have in place?

I suspect that it's going to be more difficult to move forward than people think.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Its the perfect fit for Sherwood if Hypia cant turn it around. He would inject some much needed passion into the squad Houghton is a bore.

Firstly I don't think Sami is going anywhere just yet.

But for the purposes of this discussion - yes, Sherwood would be a contrast to Hyypia. Loads of passion, but at what cost? Yes, we would see the full range of emotions on the touchline. That might fire up the players and achieve the desired effect - but also carries a risk of the wheels coming off. Having a volatile character like Sherwood in charge leads me to suspect that at some point there would be blood on the carpets, up the walls and all sorts of collateral damage around the club. I'm not sure that Sherwood's 'dirty washing in public' approach is Tony Bloom's style.

You have to ask why Sherwood hasn't picked up one of the numerous managerial vacancies since he left Spurs? I suspect he is seen as a bit of a loose cannon. Maybe he also has such a high opinion of himself and his expectations of budgets to fancy the challenge of working within FFP., especially if there are vacancies at Championship clubs who enjoy parachute money.

It will be interesting to see where Sherwood turns up next.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
IF there's to be a change of manager, we need a satisfactory answer to TWO questions.

2. Can the new guy work effectively with the player recruitment arrangements that the Albion have in place?

I suspect that it's going to be more difficult to move forward than people think.

To answer your questions:

(1) Can't get much worse, and IMO if his tactics were changed, we could get a lot more out of the current squad.

(2) A lot harder to answer that one!

I suspect that with the exception of a striker, we won't be seeing many new faces in soon anyway.

If we were able to get a really decent, Championship-experienced Manager in, who would only come if he had control of transfer dealings, ten Bloom has another big decision to make....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

No 2 will put off any decent proven manager imo. The club will have to relax that to entice anyone of quality. It could well prove to be a major stumbling block (maybe it already is :wink:)

Two managers have already decided that they are not willing to work with the current player recruitment arrangements.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
NSC judges have signed his managerial death warrant, but the club is yet to ratify it.

it would have happened by now
just not going to happen we can't afford to give away another 1m ................spend it on a striker who can actually strike

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here