Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What part of they have a dead line do you not understand?

Where is your evidence we will get a no/shit deal?

It's just that last time Johnson 'had a deadline' he kept lying about it.

He guaranteed he would meet it, then extended our membership of the EU, then he U-turned on his Red Line of no border in the Irish Sea, then claimed that as the 'good deal' and then said that he had an oven-ready Brexit that would be done by the end of the month before last.

And yet still nobody has any idea what type of Brexit they are going to get.

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does it ???

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
early talk of suspending Parliament, if not sitting in June they wont be able to extend transition period. so will be interesting if they put in place emergency powers before any recess, or just let it ride.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
early talk of suspending Parliament, if not sitting in June they wont be able to extend transition period. so will be interesting if they put in place emergency powers before any recess, or just let it ride.

Johnson U-turning on a date he had guaranteed and extending our membership of the EU again ? That couldn't possibly happen could it ?

I would have thought a man of Johnson's integrity would rather die in a ditch :lolol:

*edit* Sorry - Before some of our regular contributors jump on 'membership' - not membership, just the thing where we carry on paying the EU, being subject to their rules and regulations and getting all benefits and trade deals of being in the EU - definitely not membership

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Johnson U-turning on a date he had guaranteed and extending our membership of the EU again ? That couldn't possibly happen could it ?

I would have thought a man of Johnson's integrity would rather die in a ditch :lolol:

*edit* Sorry - Before some of our regular contributors jump on 'membership' - not membership, just the thing where we carry on paying the EU, being subject to their rules and regulations and getting all benefits and trade deals of being in the EU - definitely not membership

Now there's something to have a referendum on

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Very interesting report on the telly box this week from the danish agricultural minister, who was talking about the herring catch that the Danes have been fishing in “ British” waters for 600 years. He was suggesting that by banning all but “ British” boats from our territorial waters was counter productive as it appears that french and Dutch companies have set up british companies, based in the UK, and transferred the registration of some boats into these companies to carry on fishing the waters.

I think the danish case is an interesting one that mutual fishing ( British boats fishing danish waters) has been going on for so long that to throw away that relationship over a vote to leave a trading block. Turns out that 99% of herring caught by British and danish boats end up in Europe anyway as the British don’t eat kippers and herring anymore. And if tarrifs were imposed, which looks like the way it is going, it would be uneconomical to sell into Europe.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Very interesting report on the telly box this week from the danish agricultural minister, who was talking about the herring catch that the Danes have been fishing in “ British” waters for 600 years. He was suggesting that by banning all but “ British” boats from our territorial waters was counter productive as it appears that french and Dutch companies have set up british companies, based in the UK, and transferred the registration of some boats into these companies to carry on fishing the waters.

I think the danish case is an interesting one that mutual fishing ( British boats fishing danish waters) has been going on for so long that to throw away that relationship over a vote to leave a trading block. Turns out that 99% of herring caught by British and danish boats end up in Europe anyway as the British don’t eat kippers and herring anymore. And if tarrifs were imposed, which looks like the way it is going, it would be uneconomical to sell into Europe.

Interesting indeed and illustrating the mutual dependencies that organically develop. In terms of the bigger picture over fishing it seems to me that our fishing industry is on the horns of a dilemma in that if it used as a 'bargaining tool' then we lose our fishing grounds but if there is no deal we lose frictionless trade with the big markets for our fish. In simple economic terms if we do one thing we bugger up supply; if we do the other we bugger up demand.
I rather fear that a 'rational' decision informed by any cost-benefit type analysis will be trumped by the more 'emotive' issue that appeals to our island mentality. But it is not sensible to have one very, very tiny industry have any sort of veto on trade negotiations.
It will be interesting to see which way the Johnson government plays this: one level they play the emotive/patriotic card on the other, they are a deeply cynical bunch (eg look at their treatment of Northern Ireland as a pawn in the bigger negotiations).

Anyway, I'm sure it is all being planned with super-competence and an eye firmly fixed on the national interest...………………..

(I once heard an very experienced trade negotiator say that countries are very reluctant to put any industries that feature in children's books on the table - eg typically farming and fishing.)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I do ! Love them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ditto - it's a shame they are so hard to buy.

Little or no market now as us Brits are very finicky about getting a bone in our fish. I catch them spring time on the marina on very small feather lures ( sabiki's) but we need clear water and calm seas for them to work.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Boris squirming on This Morning, still cant figure out how people voted for this weapon [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1235548163714379777[/tweet]

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Of course you can't figure it out, you never will. Thankfully enough of us did.
Well I know for sure you're either extremely thick or extremely well off financially. Now I dont know you so it's up to you to put yourself in either one of those categories.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Well I know for sure you're either extremely thick or extremely well off financially. Now I dont know you so it's up to you to put yourself in either one of those categories.
Sorry there is a third option which is a bit of both.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I know it's come up elsewhere

[TWEET]1235581683543482368[/TWEET]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I know it's come up elsewhere