[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
When are people going to stop giving credibility to these organisations speaking for both sides.Time and time again their forcasts are wrong and they adjust them on a regular basis.

I guess we should divine the future from tea leaves instead?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Personally, I'd rather be more prosperous, more open, more outward looking, have more employment opportunities, be able to move freely within Europe. You obviously think differently. That's the joy of this debate!

You may want all these things now for the benefit of you.
But as i pointed out what is the cost long term to the country and everyone?

Its nice to not to have to get in the longer queue at European airports but hardly a massive ballache and it might be nice for you to move freely around,but some services and people are suffering due to this free movement.Cant you consider these as part of a wider implication for everyone?

Your employment opportunities in Europe wouldnt diminish if there was a Brexit, you may have to get a piece of paper to cover your entitlement but hardly such an inconvenience you would give up bothering all together surely?
And surely if we were free to organise our own trade deals globally and be more outward looking on a global scale than just be insular in a declining club your employment opportunities might be further enhanced?

all good topics for a joyous debate no doubt

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Correct they are so stupid they even spell they're as there. but never mind Merkel is doing such a fantastic job in inviting the whole of Syria and anyone else who wants to come along (including terrorists) for a free meal ticket and for them to rob us of our health service. never mind the rest of what they will rob from us. not as if Schengen visa's will be that hard to come by...and cant wait Turkey is next.:ohmy:

:laugh:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
When are people going to stop giving credibility to these organisations speaking for both sides.Time and time again their forcasts are wrong and they adjust them on a regular basis.

I agree Maldini but I think as I said earlier most 'inners' concentrate on self rather than 25-30yrs hence and their Grandkids future. Osbourne tried but with a slant toward remaining. His figures are fortune telling suppositions. Truth is no one can know. Just guess (Forecast in company bullspeak) Sell your sole to an unaccountable dictatorship or decide for yourself? No brainer.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I totally understand your view, as this is implicitly linked to your own perspective. I.e. a selfish perspective (that's not meant as a criticism by they way, as I'm sure a lot of people would take the same view).

There are many companies which choose to invest in the UK because of our flexible labour markets, ease of doing business, language, skills, infrastructure etc. There are also lots of companies who choose not to invest in Europe as they often lack these attributes. France is a prime example where the rules and regulations are a deterrent.

We were told the that not being in the EURO would lead to less inward investment. Didn't happen.
We were told that we would lose the major banks from the City if we weren't in the EURO. Didn't happen.
We were told that our economy would be weaker if we weren't in the EURO. After the crash in 2008, we recovered much quicker than the EURO area (albeit we had a deeper crash), and the EURO area only recently reached the same level of GDP as before the crash.
Oh, by the way, Italy is still 8% below the 2008 level, it's GDP is at the same level as when the EURO was launched and it's debt ratio is climbing. This is being exacerbated by the Growth and Stability pact which forces the government to reduce spending, which in effect deflates the economy even more. It's widely accepted that it's banks are f***ed as they are holding too many bad debts, which impact their ability to lend to drive new growth. When this eventually goes, it will be too big to bail out. It's economy is about 10 times that of Greece.

So, even if we do vote remain (which I expect due to the lies from the corrupt politicians/IMF, etc), I am looking forward (in a perverse way) to the eventual demise of the whole project. The real shame is that the original idea of a free trade area is brilliant. I don't want a superstate, which is the path we are on. I am amazed at the naievity of so many who cannot see the bigger picture of the agenda of the superstate. The European commission (who we don't vote for) are the ones who pass the laws. They hold the power and not the European Parliament. So we as the voters have no way to change those in power. Democracy? Er, no. We're sleep walking into an elitist totalitarian state. Look at Kinnock - a failed UK politician who now earns (from what I read) abour £1.8m, plus Glenys is just under £1m being in the commission.

Do the Commissioners pass the laws? I thought they drew up legislation but that it is voted on by the elected MEPs.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
I agree Maldini but I think as I said earlier most 'inners' concentrate on self rather than 25-30yrs hence and their Grandkids future. Osbourne tried but with a slant toward remaining. His figures are fortune telling suppositions. Truth is no one can know. Just guess (Forecast in company bullspeak) Sell your sole to an unaccountable dictatorship or decide for yourself? No brainer.

Going forward,after the referendum I will look upon the goverment in a totally different way.Most of us take what our politicians say with a pinch of salt however I've learned that our goverment will tell us all kinds of bull in order to get us on side.Their credibility for me is shot to bits.I am truly shocked at the depths they have gone to and am cringing as to what the'll pull out of the bag during the last 10 days before June 23rd when I expect things to really go downhill.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
We are not in the Euro yet we have the fastest growth in the EU.If we leave the EU God knows how much we might prosper.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Averting economic catastrophe by remaining in the EU is the one I'm most fond of.

I won't ask you why you think it will be economic disaster for us to leave the EU because if it's guess work for the Goverment,IMF and blah blah blah then it sure is guesswork for you.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Going forward,after the referendum I will look upon the goverment in a totally different way.Most of us take what our politicians say with a pinch of salt however I've learned that our goverment will tell us all kinds of bull in order to get us on side.Their credibility for me is shot to bits.I am truly shocked at the depths they have gone to and am cringing as to what the'll pull out of the bag during the last 10 days before June 23rd when I expect things to really go downhill.
Maybe you're a bit younger than me, but I can assure you that the campaign to get us to vote to join was just as devious and dirty in 1975.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
I'm almost tempted to vote to Remain.I'd love to stay in and in 10/15 year when the UK is a toilet it will be egg on the face of everyone on the side of Remain.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Is he still the economic advisor to the former Mayor of London? What about the other seven?

It says that he is on their website. It might be different now but he was in that role when he helped write and produce the pamphlet.

Can't be bothered to look through everyone else's bios but I did read Gerry's bit in the pamphlet. It's an awful lot of supposition and insinuation, but not a lot of useful facts. It really boils down to: the EU implement laws that have an impact on UK businesses, London is really competitive today, Brexit could lead to new opportunities. None of which are any particular surprise, but also not backed up by any decent data.

The most worrying bit though was "...it is hard to imagine London not being the main financial centre in Europe...". I would have though that it wouldn't take much to imagine London not being the main financial centre in Europe, especially if the UK leaves the EU as that removes the political barriers to doing so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports