Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
As Bill Clinton famously said - "it's the economy, stupid". I think most people are going to vote for an outcome which promises more financial security. Perhaps that's being myopic, insular and selfish - but name-calling isn't a vote-winner. The best possible strategy for the Leave campaign is to find a bunch of serious, independent economists who will clearly set out the financial case for a Brexit. We can then have a proper debate. It's not too late - there's still four weeks to go.

I don’t think most people are "myopic, insular and selfish" like you.
When it boils down to it this issue of whats going to be in my pocket over the next few years is not anywhere near as important to me as other issues such as democracy and accountability, sovereignty,security or Immigration. I suspect many are the same.

If this really is it,the final chance to vote on the direction of the country with the EU I want to think much more long term.
What will be the legacy of my vote?
what is project EU going to resemble in decades time or even 50 years or 100 years in the future after im gone,
what are we handing down to future generations?
will Turkey and god knows who else be in the club then?
what will our sovereignty be like then?
how much of our laws will be directly accountable to westminster in the future?
what is going to be the long term impact of continued mass immigration on everything?
These are the real issues that should be debated that will face people now and into the long term future. All the conclusions I can see of the direction of The EU don’t look good.

Im constantly now told we cant survive economically outside the EU as we are a shit country who cant manage our own trade and governance affairs with any degree of competence.
I simply don’t buy into this message. The country and the economy will survive with a Brexit.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If that is your understanding of politics regarding Corbyn then I stand by my earlier assumption. If you support Corbyn stay in Germany. Corbyn will never be PM. As the previous poster said, 'dream on'

He is cunning tho is HT.....he could be :jester: jesting with us :lolol:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
and thats true of course, yet it was never supposed to be about economy. it was always about soveriegnty, at least originally. alas the brexit camp have to carry the anti-immigration baggage so fight on two seperate fronts while the remain fight on one, to be fair better territory. its sad that we have a referedum about the existential future of the nation state of the UK and the issue is barely covered.

Yes - but we can only have our so-called sovereignty back if we leave the EU. What the Remain campaign is doing is highlighting the economic downsides of that decision. It's like saying "I hate my boss, so I want to resign from my job" but then moaning at the person who points out that you'll lose your salary!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I imagine the Turkey vote will come under Corbyn's parliament.

This does beg a question though.
Corbyn wants to remain as its the only way to protect workers rights,female rights etc(allegedly)
When he is PM in 2020 why would he set about eroding these rights if there was a brexit? Doesnt he trust himself?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If we Brexit you might well get him

We won't,he only wants Nato to stop massing on his boarder's..........Ukraine in Europe? not really is it....Besides longer term he needs Europe to fend of China..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
In which case in such a serious thread his credibility is seriously weakened.

part of me thinks he does not believe in him,much like how i have totally lost faith in D Cameron...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yeah it offends me but your right it's your right. As JFK said: “Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country,” Retain the countries right to self determination.
I'm also going to add that that attitude is what is bad in the world, I'm all right jack bugger you. I said no insults earlier but you pious self righteous inners sometimes are beyond belief.

Ah well, you'll get over it. Arrogant I'm Always right twats spouting political bullshit on football forum are not beyond belief at all...it says a lot about you.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Ah well, you'll get over it. Arrogant I'm Always right twats spouting political bullshit on football forum are not beyond belief at all...it says a lot about you.

So says a man with a monica of a mythology lover. You couldn't make it up!
Tell you what put me on ignore then.

Try to avoid expletives in your retort. Much more adult response then.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I don’t think most people are "myopic, insular and selfish" like you.
When it boils down to it this issue of whats going to be in my pocket over the next few years is not anywhere near as important to me as other issues such as democracy and accountability, sovereignty,security or Immigration. I suspect many are the same.

Im constantly now told we cant survive economically outside the EU as we are a shit country who cant manage our own trade and governance affairs with any degree of competence.
I simply don’t buy into this message. The country and the economy will survive with a Brexit.

By the way, just for the record, I definitely DO NOT think people are myopic, insular and selfish...I was just quoting The Rivet. It was his/her assertion that people who plumped for a Remain vote on personal financial grounds deserved to be so-called.

And I don't think you need to jump to the conclusion that the Remain camp don't think we can survive outside the EU, or that we're a shit country. The point is that most economists believe we will be economically worse off outside the EU. We WILL survive, but (according to those economists) we won't be so prosperous. Personally, I'd rather be more prosperous, more open, more outward looking, have more employment opportunities, be able to move freely within Europe. You obviously think differently. That's the joy of this debate!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The Economists for Brexit is a group of eight independent, leading economists who are convinced of the strong economic case for leaving the EU. To date, debate on the economic merits of whether the UK should remain in the EU has become overwhelmed by the Government's Project Fear campaign. Each of the eight economists have become exasperated by the scaremongering and often economic illiteracy of this campaign.

http://www.economistsforbrexit.co.uk/

https://next.ft.com/content/1745f3c2-0d16-11e6-b41f-0beb7e589515

I think the giveaway is the word "FOR" - if they were independent they would simply present their data and arguments without saying which side they were on!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here