Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're just repeating what you've already said. It was stupid the first time you said it.

Why? Like many Brexiteers I think you should pull the trigger now.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why doesn't the UK just leave though? Why all this "deal" nonsense? You wanted out of a club you felt was corrupt and unaccountable and now you want a deal with them. Be brave and cut loose now.
'Deal nonsense'?

Most remainers have said that it was folly to leave without a plan of action. That is what is happening now. A deal only means that we would seek trade agreements. That is completely normal. You are also not thinking of fellow EU countries, which is a shame, as they may need to adjust policy as well.

I suspect you know all this though, and are just enjoying taking part in the longest whinge in history.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Why? Like many Brexiteers I think you should pull the trigger now.

We're all Brexiteers now though. Here's 4 reasons why article 50 shouldn't be invoked now:

1. The Department for International Trade has only just been established.
2. The Department for Exiting the European Union has only just been established.
3. The British Government are well within their rights, should they choose so, to wait until after elections in France & Germany next year before doing do, so they know who they're dealing with during the whole of the article 50 process. Brexit will almost certainly be a policy in those elections too.
4. The PM has said: "Brexit means Brexit. And we are going to make a success of it." A success will not be achieved by rushing into it. Mrs May will invoke article 50 when she sees fit.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That was the referendum, I asked you a different question. Nice body swerve.

I would have hoped after the seemingly endless number of threads/posts/debates/arguments on this topic which we have both contributed to, my numerous reasons were already crystal clear.

To sum up the cost of membership be it diluting direct democratic accountability, continuous dilution of sovereignty/control, plus financial costs passed an unacceptable tipping point for any supposed benefits many, many years ago.

What started off as a manageable more trade focused, like minded coming together of european nations has morphed into a mainly politically driven, ever expanding, Supranational juggernaut heading in only one direction .... damn the consequences (dangerous political/economic instability). Which seems incapable or unwilling to reform.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Why doesn't the UK just leave though? Why all this "deal" nonsense? You wanted out of a club you felt was corrupt and unaccountable and now you want a deal with them. Be brave and cut loose now.

Because it's not in our national interest to 'cut loose' now.

See [MENTION=34106]ManOfSussex[/MENTION] post for some of the reasons.

We're all Brexiteers now though. Here's 4 reasons why article 50 shouldn't be invoked now:

1. The Department for International Trade has only just been established.
2. The Department for Exiting the European Union has only just been established.
3. The British Government are well within their rights, should they choose so, to wait until after elections in France & Germany next year before doing do, so they know who they're dealing with during the whole of the article 50 process. Brexit will almost certainly be a policy in those elections too.
4. The PM has said: "Brexit means Brexit. And we are going to make a success of it." A success will not be achieved by rushing into it. Mrs May will invoke article 50 when she sees fit.

I think you're overstating the impact (and relevance) of individual member state elections big time.
Article 50 "negotiations" are about the mechanics of withdrawal and do not involve any direct political representation from either the EU or the individual 27 member states. They will be handled by the Commission on the basis of what was, and has to be under law, a unanimous position on the UK Withdrawal Treaty adopted by the Council at the meeting held the week after the UK referendum; this is on the agenda for final ratification at the Council summit in Bratislava next month.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think you're overstating the impact (and relevance) of individual member state elections big time.
Article 50 "negotiations" are about the mechanics of withdrawal and do not involve any direct political representation from either the EU or the individual 27 member states. They will be handled by the Commission on the basis of what was, and has to be under law, a unanimous position on the UK Withdrawal Treaty adopted by the Council at the meeting held the week after the UK referendum; this is on the agenda for final ratification at the Council summit in Bratislava next month.

I'm merely offering a reason as reported by multiple sources:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/69...-french-elections-angela-merkel-eu-referendum

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...endum-result-europe-theresa-may-a7189851.html

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...until-after-elections-next-year-a3316416.html

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...ing-domestic-politics-eu-member-states-merkel

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-timing-idUKKCN10O0Y3

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15874...-french-elections-next-year-to-get-best-deal/

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

they will only be handled by the commission upto a point, assuming everything is agreeable to all members. once the negotiations stray into areas that raises objections from individual countries, they could veto so they need to agree. if there is treaty changes required all members will need to ratify. in short, if one of the major countries simple doesnt want deal type x, then it wont go ahead, so it may be prudent to ensure they support deal type x.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The Scots decided when they had their referendum, same as here, people like you and Sturgeon just won't except the decision, as 652 pages of whining and bleating proves. The Scottish economy is costing us dearly is the point I was making and yes I realise the Scottish will decide der.

Then what are you bleating on about again?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I thought that as you would like to have another vote on Brexit, then perhaps this reasoning would apply to any Scottish result that you didn't approve of.

Then you are wrong. I am indifferent on what the scots do but beleive its their choice, unlike some of the sentiment on here. Another vote on Brexit, not sure. Lets see how it pans out, events, events

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So you're pretending to be a Brexiter now. You're just a troll.

No. Many months ago I said if Brexit wins then I hope they head off and do their thing. The world is your oyster, apparently, so I don't understand why two months later you're still hanging around wanting to do some deal with an allegedly corrupt and unaccountable body. I'm also puzzled why the Tory party then elected a Remainer.

Be brave and pull the trigger now.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
No. Many months ago I said if Brexit wins then I hope they head off and do their thing. The world is your oyster, apparently, so I don't understand why two months later you're still hanging around wanting to do some deal with an allegedly corrupt and unaccountable body. Be brave and pull the trigger now.

Because they havent got any bottle!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because it's not in our national interest to 'cut loose' now.

See [MENTION=34106]ManOfSussex[/MENTION] post for some of the reasons.

Seems like the uk is not a bold as it thought it was.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Because they havent got any bottle!

Why no trigger pull yet? Because it takes time to have a plan. Cameron had no plan, now his successor is left holding the baby. This whole thing is quite extraordinary . . .

Imagine your brother has decided to get engaged to a horrible witch. The day after the engagement is announced he pops his cloggs. Then you discover that in his will he has bequested to his oldest male sibling (you) the task of marrying said witch. And you accept the obligation . . . .

Gender issues notwithstanding, May (the oldest male sibling in this parable - and fitting it is that the wheels of this analogy have already started to come off) is now busy preparing the invitations, selecting the hymns, choosing the bridesmaid's dresses and booking the honeymoon suite. Trouble is, there is a fair chance that on the fateful day, she is likely to punch the witch in the face and leg it. Sometimes there is no shoehorn in Christendom with sufficient peng to ease the flaccid old chap into glory.

We'll see.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Why no trigger pull yet? Because it takes time to have a plan. Cameron had no plan, now his successor is left holding the baby. This whole thing is quite extraordinary . . .

Imagine your brother has decided to get engaged to a horrible witch. The day after the engagement is announced he pops his cloggs. Then you discover that in his will he has bequested to his oldest male sibling (you) the task of marrying said witch. And you accept the obligation . . . .

Gender issues notwithstanding, May (the oldest male sibling in this parable - and fitting it is that the wheels of this analogy have already started to come off) is now busy preparing the invitations, selecting the hymns, choosing the bridesmaid's dresses and booking the honeymoon suite. Trouble is, there is a fair chance that on the fateful day, she is likely to punch the witch in the face and leg it. Sometimes there is no shoehorn in Christendom with sufficient peng to ease the flaccid old chap into glory.

We'll see.

:lolol: i like you HWT but have you been on the beers?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

We'll see.

You use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Completely agree.

Can we have a post count for this thread so we can see who the serial whiners and bleaters are?

All you need to do is click on the number of replies to the right of the thread title on the main index page.

As of 25 August this is the list of those with over 100 posts on this thread along with their stance on staying or leaving.

Baldseagull - 240 - Stay
Soulman - 210 - Leave
Seagull58 - 209 - Leave
GoldWithFalmer - 189 - Leave
ManOfSussex - 187 - Stay
Lincoln Imp - 174 - Stay
The Clamp - 171 - Stay
pastafarian - 169 - Leave
Triggaaar - 168 - Leave
JC Footy Genius - 138 - Leave
studio150 - 136 - Stay
GT49er - 112 - Leave
Hampster Gull - 112 - Stay
Two Professors - 108 - Leave
portslade seagull - 103 - Leave
beorhthelm - 102 - Leave

So of the top 16, 10 are from the leave camp and 6 remain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here