Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Why should it be put in the withdrawal agreement? Are you trying to defend France's (and 10 other countries') decision to refuse or delay parking concessions for disabled people?

Two questions.
1. In principle, is France correct to disallow parking concessions for disabled people if they happen to hold UK passports?
2. In principle, is the UK correct to permit parking concessions for disabled people even if they hold French passports?

I completely agree that it appears many stupid things have been done as a result of Brexit (getting rid of this reciprocal agreement being a relatively minor one) but, at the end of the day, it was what the majority wanted and we really have to stop whining about it and 'Move On'. It's now about taking back control, letting Britain make it's own decisions and taking advantage of the new opportunities.

What other countries do is down to them :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why should it be put in the withdrawal agreement? Are you trying to defend France's (and 10 other countries') decision to refuse or delay parking concessions for disabled people?

Two questions.
1. In principle, is France correct to disallow parking concessions for disabled people if they happen to hold UK passports?
2. In principle, is the UK correct to permit parking concessions for disabled people even if they hold French passports?

Your sense of entitlement is quite breathtaking; and it's this sort of attitude which is partly causing so many issues at the moment. You had an agreement, but you chose to withdraw from it. I am sure the French/whoever will get round to this specific issue at some point but maybe.....just maybe...it is not top of their list of priorities and they're not willing to drop everything and act on this, or the hundreds of other agreements you decided to shred when you left, the moment you want them to.

You voted for this, you won remember.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I know this is a very pro-EU board, but supporting EU countries in their unwillingness to allow parking rights for disabled drivers? Is it really right to use disabled people as a negotiating tool in a political agreement?

Is there anybody on this board who opposed Brexit, who broadly speaking supports the EU, but who is willing to say that they should not discriminate against disabled people just because they are British?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know this is a very pro-EU board, but supporting EU countries in their unwillingness to allow parking rights for disabled drivers? Is it really right to use disabled people as a negotiating tool in a political agreement?

:facepalm:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Your sense of entitlement is quite breathtaking; and it's this sort of attitude which is partly causing so many issues at the moment. You had an agreement, but you chose to withdraw from it. I am sure the French/whoever will get round to this specific issue at some point but maybe.....just maybe...it is not top of their list of priorities and they're not willing to drop everything and act on this, or the hundreds of other agreements you decided to shred when you left, the moment you want them to.

At no point did anyone on the Remain side say that disabled drivers would lose their parking rights abroad. I suspect that even some Remainers didn't think the EU would use that particular bargaining chip.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Is there anybody on this board who opposed Brexit, who broadly speaking supports the EU, but who is willing to say that they should not discriminate against disabled people just because they are British?

I’d never have guessed lol

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At no point did anyone on the Remain side say that disabled drivers would lose their parking rights abroad. I suspect that even some Remainers didn't think the EU would use that particular bargaining chip.

Your arguments are getting really weird again.....i'm out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

At no point did the Remain side think the government would be so useless as to get rid of three Prime Ministers, vote against their own deal (May) and then rush through an 'oven ready deal' which was a complete ball of cotton.

There is only one section to blame for this mess and that is the Conservative government.

I go to France regularly and have never paid for parking let alone with a disabled badge. Their parking capacity in the vast majority of places is completely free.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The fact is when the UK was a member we wanted opt out of this, opt out of that and we had a very good deal. Probably the best deal of any member state

Now as a non-member with a distant relationship we are now demanding many opt-ins for nothing.

It doesn't work like that, especially when you have a law breaking lying government that has destroyed trust

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

The Remain campaign was complacent and relied on the assumption that the country wasn't going to cut its nose off to spite its face. It was an arrogant campaign vs a campaign of lies. Truly embarrassing for our country and with a decade(s) long tail of destruction we're only early days into. It's clear that the negotiations were woefully inadequate and we're seeing examples of it everywhere you look. Unless you close your eyes, ignore the reality and blame someone else for our own stupidity of voting to Leave.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Having an opinion different to yours is trolling?

How very democratic.

Have we had a vote on my opinion? No, so it's nothing to do with democracy.
I am posting facts with sources, whereas dsr is raising objections to the facts.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

How do you know which side is preventing a political agreement with these 11 countries? You maybe right, but the 11 countries in question don't individually have any negotiating weight with what the UK agrees with the EU, they are just separate countries. You appear to be concluding this must be as a result of the 'other party' - what leads you to conclude that?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
How do you know which side is preventing a political agreement with these 11 countries? You maybe right, but the 11 countries in question don't individually have any negotiating weight with what the UK agrees with the EU, they are just separate countries. You appear to be concluding this must be as a result of the 'other party' - what leads you to conclude that?

The UK has unilaterally said that EU citizens who are disabled can use their EU blue badges in the UK. Eleven other countries have not made that decision. How can it possibly be the UK'#s fault that those 11 countries have not made their decision?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
So it was Parliament's job to negotiate a 'good deal', a role you believe they failed in completely and is the reason we are where we are, even though you have no idea what this 'good deal' even looked like ?

I did, it was brilliant, wasn't it :thumbsup:

Yes, it was Parliament's job to come up with a sensible exit deal, one that almost certainly meant staying in the single market in some form. They absolutely could have done this had they had the will, but sadly it (Parliament as a whole) smelt blood and chose to bring down the government, which is essentially why we have had this shambles of a government ever since. That is my view, you may not agree but that's fine.

I do not need to know the details, it is moot as it is in the past. To try and fix the issues it is my view that we should rejoin the single market in some form but should not rejoin the EU. What is your solution?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The UK has unilaterally said that EU citizens who are disabled can use their EU blue badges in the UK. Eleven other countries have not made that decision. How can it possibly be the UK'#s fault that those 11 countries have not made their decision?

So we as the UK know what the EU rules and regulations are for Blue Badge holders across EU countries and so it is easy for us to say they remain valid in the EU as they conform to the same set of standards.

However, we can now set our own rules, regulations and standards for Blue Badge holders, we could make them easier to obtain, harder, more discriminate, whatever it maybe, but we now may well have differences with what different individual European countries are prepared to accept.

So it is quite possible some EU countries are asking the UK government to confirm they are sticking to EU standards on these badges for however long, and the UK government is refusing to give that assurance.

Like I said, neither of us knows which side is preventing this from happening. From your position it must be the other party, for me it could be either.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021

Actually yes there's me. Whilst I have no idea why this could in anyway be a problem the fact that a large number of EU member states have agreed blue badge agreement does suggest others are dragging their feet. Does not seem to require negotiating at all. I imagine bureaucracy got in the way.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
So we as the UK know what the EU rules and regulations are for Blue Badge holders across EU countries and so it is easy for us to say they remain valid in the EU as they conform to the same set of standards.

However, we can now set our own rules, regulations and standards for Blue Badge holders, we could make them easier to obtain, harder, more discriminate, whatever it maybe, but we now may well have differences with what different individual European countries are prepared to accept.

So it is quite possible some EU countries are asking the UK government to confirm they are sticking to EU standards on these badges for however long, and the UK government is refusing to give that assurance.

Like I said, neither of us knows which side is preventing this from happening. From your position it must be the other party, for me it could be either.

It's a pretty nitpicky reasopn, if that is the reason. But if France chooses that a British disabled person can't park in a disabled space because the definition of disabled is, or might become, different in France from in the UK, you would support France's decision?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here