Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I can do a full revolution in under a second on my chair, more time saved!

I have it on good authority from a regular traveller on here, that it takes 2 seconds to check a passport, so your chair-spinning prowess would not save you time. Sorry - rules is rules.

Where would we be if there weren't any rules? Eh?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I apologise, Some countries are still neotiating.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...adges-may-not-be-accepted-in-eu-due-to-brexit

Edit, in my defence, I believed what the Today programme actually said.

That Guardian article (belatedly!) should be called out. They say that certain countries don't accept UK blue disabled badges "because of Brexit", but they have had plenty of time to renew the agreement. Any country that has still not recognised the blue badges is doing it because they think a British disabled person shouldn't be entitled to the same consideration as an EU disabled person.

All EU disabled badges are recognised in the UK.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That Guardian article (belatedly!) should be called out. They say that certain countries don't accept UK blue disabled badges "because of Brexit", but they have had plenty of time to renew the agreement. Any country that has still not recognised the blue badges is doing it because they think a British disabled person shouldn't be entitled to the same consideration as an EU disabled person.

All EU disabled badges are recognised in the UK.

If you don't like the Guardian, you can read this instead.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...ed-blue-badges-not-recognised-EU-nations.html

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A lot of countries do, are Spain actually going to be checking?

That seems a bit petty if true.

Depends. The odd Guggenhiem bound culture-vulture landing in Bilbao wont get much attention; I'm sure I will be fine. Arrive from Gatwick reeking of cheap past-it's-sell-by date Wetherspoons lager you will surely get some attention. I'm sure the border officers will want to know they have enough euros to sustain a week of full-English's and lasagne and chips in the sun.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That is for the hallowed Brexit thread Shirley?

On literally every other thread, people are allowed to diverge from the subject of the thread, yet any mention of Brexit on a non-Brexit thread and someone always whinges that it belongs on that massive toxic Brexit thread. And funnily enough, it's always Brexiteers moaning about it. I wonder why?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That is for the hallowed Brexit thread Shirley?
Ah, I see. Thanks :thumbsup:
Spinning your chair wouldn't help I would guess, although I'm not medically trained you know.
Why might you wish to do this?
He needs a lie down first. Been on every news bulletin across the channels for the past year and a half.
Wit a wot?
Nil desperandum, mon ami, I'm sure that our French colleagues will have picked up their socks and got their canards in a row by then.
It's the fault of our French cousins across the ocean.

Now I always look forward to your considered, informative and detailed contributions to various threads and debates, but I think that with your total contributions to this particular thread you have even managed to duck that extremely low bar that you have set :dunce:

Incidentally, do you have any views on the Chaos at Dover ? :lolol:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I have it on good authority from a regular traveller on here, that it takes 2 seconds to check a passport, so your chair-spinning prowess would not save you time. Sorry - rules is rules.

Where would we be if there weren't any rules? Eh?

When my passport has been checked in the past, "the look", takes more than two seconds

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

It doesn't matter who reports on it. Thirty months ago, the reciprocal agreement ended because of Brexit. But thirty months on, any nation that hasn't had the common decency to say "yes, we will continue to accept them" is not doing it because of Brexit, they are doing it because they don't think disabled people with a British passport should get special parking rights to help them with their disability.

I mean, how long does it take? This negotiation should take 5 seconds. "Will you let disabled people continue with their existing rights?" "Yes, we will." There is no other acceptable answer.

The UK has managed to confirm that all EU nations' disabled badges will be accepted in the UK.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
It doesn't matter who reports on it. Thirty months ago, the reciprocal agreement ended because of Brexit. But thirty months on, any nation that hasn't had the common decency to say "yes, we will continue to accept them" is not doing it because of Brexit, they are doing it because they don't think disabled people with a British passport should get special parking rights to help them with their disability.

I mean, how long does it take? This negotiation should take 5 seconds. "Will you let disabled people continue with their existing rights?" "Yes, we will." There is no other acceptable answer.

The UK has managed to confirm that all EU nations' disabled badges will be accepted in the UK.

It's oven ready, all this has been sorted now, as we held all the cards, it was the easiest negotiation in history. Meanwhile, peeps are having to wait to start their well deserved holibobs, that's the issue

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Is there any evidence it was put into the withdrawal agreement? The one that nobody bothered reading, voted en masse for it, and then started squealing that it wasn't what they wanted? If they can mess up the NIP, you can be sure nobody bothered with little details like asking 27 different countries for reciprocal disabled parking agreements. We have ministers who can't even be bothered to turn up to committee meetings.

We were the ones who chose to leave.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
P&O are warning passengers of 'Major Queues' at Dover this morning despite all the french managing to get into work

That can't be right, can it ???

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Is there any evidence it was put into the withdrawal agreement? The one that nobody bothered reading, voted en masse for it, and then started squealing that it wasn't what they wanted? If they can mess up the NIP, you can be sure nobody bothered with little details like asking 27 different countries for reciprocal disabled parking agreements. We have ministers who can't even be bothered to turn up to committee meetings.

We were the ones who chose to leave.

Why should it be put in the withdrawal agreement? Are you trying to defend France's (and 10 other countries') decision to refuse or delay parking concessions for disabled people?

Two questions.
1. In principle, is France correct to disallow parking concessions for disabled people if they happen to hold UK passports?
2. In principle, is the UK correct to permit parking concessions for disabled people even if they hold French passports?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Depends. The odd Guggenhiem bound culture-vulture landing in Bilbao wont get much attention; I'm sure I will be fine. Arrive from Gatwick reeking of cheap past-it's-sell-by date Wetherspoons lager you will surely get some attention. I'm sure the border officers will want to know they have enough euros to sustain a week of full-English's and lasagne and chips in the sun.

Thanks for reminding me why I don’t go to Spain

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why should it be put in the withdrawal agreement? Are you trying to defend France's (and 10 other countries') decision to refuse or delay parking concessions for disabled people?

Two questions.
1. In principle, is France correct to disallow parking concessions for disabled people if they happen to hold UK passports?
2. In principle, is the UK correct to permit parking concessions for disabled people even if they hold French passports?

You said there was a reciprocal agreement when we were in the EU. We withdrew from the EU and so all agreements stop unless they were agreed in the Withdrawal Agreement.
The UK is one country, whereas we now have to agree with 27 different countries. Who changed? We did.
This government isn't hot on details.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here