Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/26/parliament-must-decide-what-brexit-means-in-the-interests-of-the/

This is a good article about what could happen next. As a moderate leave voter much of this would be best case scenario for me.

We must surely have some leverage here, if we leave quietly with a trade deal that protects our economy then we'll stand aside on the political side and the EU can speed up their march to a federal Europe. If there's a very bad deal on the table then article 50 shouldn't be invoked.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Personally, I think some things, for a while at least, have changed. Such is the division in society now and such are the tensions that opening this can of worms has brought, it has given some people more courage to behave in an unacceptable manner.

The special question time was interesting earlier. An often repeated theme by all of the panel except perhaps the UKIP bloke was for building unity. Even Diane Abbott made some sense.

People forget opinion on the EU is on a continuum. The referendum was binary. This will naturally give the impression of division, where in reality the vast majority of us believe very similar things, with extreme minorities. It is a shame people forget this, as it could be very alienating to be on the losing side.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
On a serious note, there are many here who have put forwards their reasons for support of a leave vote who are not racist or xenophobic.

How do you ensure that the racists and xenophobes who now feel legitimised in their views do not seize the vote as an excuse to spread their hatred of anyone with a different skintone, heritage, religion or sexuality?

I've not really had much time to think on it, currently i'm more concerned with my views being delegitimised by a minority of remain voters who peg me as both of the above and more.

Being delegitimised is terrible but you can move on from that slur on your character. You are a winner.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

No matter how distasteful their views might be, it is a wild exaggeration to somehow serve this up as a rise in the far right, there isnt anyone there.

I am all for highlighting the intolerance of these groups of any groups, but its a spurious link to somehow link this with the Leave win .........

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No matter how distasteful their views might be, it is a wild exaggeration to somehow serve this up as a rise in the far right, there isnt anyone there.

I am all for highlighting the intolerance of these groups of any groups, but its a spurious link to somehow link this with the Leave win .........

So you are saying these racist attacks happened spontaneously then?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So you are saying these racist attacks happened spontaneously then?

I am guessing these happen each day and every day, sometimes towards immigrants and no doubt sometimes immigrants on non immigrants and sometimes on each other irrespective of anything in particular.

This has no legs, there is no resurgence of the far right I just do not believe it or have seen it, I suspect its the Remainers finding another strand to try and invalidate the Leave vote that has made them quite unreasonable, ping a few dullards and their quotes around on social media and you get this sort of disproportionate angst.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
That's wiki, which doesn't speak for me. Look up what makes a country - sovereignty (control of borders), currency, army, etc etc. Scotland, like England, have none of that. Scotland can't choose to have a referendum, they have to ask the UK. If they won independence, then they'd be a country.

Of course I am aware that people like to pretend they're a country, but they're not.

Does a football team count? Oh wait...

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I think it likely he and some other remain supporters (5ways) have made the sensible choice of steering well clear of social media until they have gathered their thoughts and had time to reflect on what is obviously a crushing disappointment. Or they are on holiday making the most of free movement while it's still available ....[/Q

5ways is on holiday in the Vendee,hope he doesn't upset the locals-taking my next holiday there.HT was heading to the HQ of the Evil Empire (Bruxelles) to celebrate victory in the referendum,or drown his sorrows!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I was asking how this is undemocratic:

Unelected law makers in the UK: 825.
Unelected law makers in the EU: 0.

How did you miss that? :facepalm:

There was an impartial BBC programme (Paxman in Brussels - who really rules us?) which examined how EU laws and rules come about and how some are compulsory for EU member countries and some arn't . (see from around 10:10)
EU Directives - Has to be done, details left to national Governments
EU Regulations - become law automatically in EU states without the member states having any say

[yt]wUwk7rS2ppY[/yt]

Please watch the whole programme though as it is quite interesting

Btw- the unelected EU commission are the only ones who come up with new laws and the only ones with the right to repeal or amend them

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/26/parliament-must-decide-what-brexit-means-in-the-interests-of-the/

This is a good article about what could happen next. As a moderate leave voter much of this would be best case scenario for me.

We must surely have some leverage here, if we leave quietly with a trade deal that protects our economy then we'll stand aside on the political side and the EU can speed up their march to a federal Europe. If there's a very bad deal on the table then article 50 shouldn't be invoked.
Yes, looks good. Farage's lot wouldn't like it, but then a lot of leave votes were not from the Farage crew.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Would you therefore say the death of MP Jo Cox by a 'nut job' was not worthy of your time?

Well fortunately it really isnt in terms of any political view of the perpetrator, again who do you think he represents and do you believe this is proof of some sort of trigger to an escalation in this sort of crime, I doubt it.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I was asking how this is undemocratic:

Unelected law makers in the UK: 825.
Unelected law makers in the EU: 0.

How did you miss that? :facepalm:

And now for your comment regarding the House of Lords

The House of Lords scrutinises bills that have been approved by the House of Commons. It regularly reviews and amends Bills from the Commons. While it is unable to prevent Bills passing into law, except in certain limited circumstances, it can delay Bills and force the Commons to reconsider their decisions. In this capacity, the House of Lords acts as a check on the House of Commons that is independent from the electoral process

They do not invent and pass laws, that is left to the elected British Government of the day

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Brexit campaigner Nigel Evans says idea immigration will fall after EU referendum result a 'misunderstanding'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-news-what-will-happen-migrants-a7104021.html

Then rest while you can people because there will be a lot of discord in the years ahead.....Immigration is the sole main driver in this referendum to deny it is deny the truth and the truth is people are unhappy with the pace of change in the country..

Staying in the EU is not an option and I agree with some of the comments in the comments section in that article.....UKIP will come to the fore.

People and voters take it personally as personally as a stranger coming into your home....

This could be an exciting time but it's looking more and more sinister......Brexit has only accelerated the arrival of the changes we now face..

That said we could all stop switch off social media and go to work tomorrow and get on with our lives and hope for the best..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here