Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
It is well known now that the petition on the YouGov website is fraudulent. Why hasn't it been declared void and taken down. Anyone know?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
On a serious note, there are many here who have put forwards their reasons for support of a leave vote who are not racist or xenophobic.

How do you ensure that the racists and xenophobes who now feel legitimised in their views do not seize the vote as an excuse to spread their hatred of anyone with a different skintone, heritage, religion or sexuality?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
On a serious note, there are many here who have put forwards their reasons for support of a leave vote who are not racist or xenophobic.

How do you ensure that the racists and xenophobes who now feel legitimised in their views do not seize the vote as an excuse to spread their hatred of anyone with a different skintone, heritage, religion or sexuality?

EVERYONE, whatever political persuasion has the responsibility to try to clamp down on extremism but NOT at the expense of free speech.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
ff.jpg

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I've not really had much time to think on it, currently i'm more concerned with my views being delegitimised by a minority of remain voters who peg me as both of the above and more.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I agree with you entirely, but how do you clamp down on it?

Well if we have a 2nd Referendum there will be trouble,if Scotland sticks their ore in there will be trouble,if we go down the road of no freedom of movement and leave properly there will be trouble,if we had of remained there still will have been trouble........Enoch Powell predicted it...

How do we deal with it? Best answer is to have no freedom of movement and then a better grip can be got on the population,a more static accountable and traceable population...this brings more trouble as it could lean toward a stagnant population disaffected....I don't know..

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'm sorry, are you comparing the house of lords to EU parliament?

Quality banter.

They both do revision on legislation, only the house of Lords isn't democratically elected, the EU parliament is. So when talking about democracy within the UK and the EU, it's a totally reasonable comparison to make.

Please, enough with the 'B' word. It makes you look stupid.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Punitive measures for people caught promoting or carrying out racist attacks. That would be a start. In addition, given that we are probably facing a general election in the next 6 months, I believe each mainstream party must have some kind of common agreement that these kind of attitudes are unacceptable in our society and will not be tolerated. I would like the political parties to produce something together as I think it would send the clearest message and perhaps help to heal the most damaging and dangerous aspects of the recent campaign.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well if we have a 2nd Referendum there will be trouble,if Scotland sticks their ore in there will be trouble,if we go down the road of no freedom of movement and leave properly there will be trouble,if we had of remained there still will have been trouble........Enoch Powell predicted it...

How do we deal with it? Best answer is to have no freedom of movement and then a better grip can be got on the population,a more static accountable and traceable population...this brings more trouble as it could lean toward a stagnant population disaffected....I don't know..

No freedom of movement will not stop the far right, who have come to the fore in the last 48 hours, from implementing their 'foreigners go home' policy to anyone with a non-anglo saxon name or non white skinthough, even if they were born in this country, as I was 54 years ago.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No freedom of movement will not stop the far right, who have come to the fore in the last 48 hours, from implementing their 'foreigners go home' policy to anyone with a non-anglo saxon name or non white skinthough, even if they were born in this country, as I was 54 years ago.
Let's hope the far right disappear into the background as quickly as they've appeared then. There is no room in this country for scum like that.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

We do have some of our own domestic laws that prevent discrimination... how is this even a question? If someone is racist they are instantly recognised and judged by a normal functioning society. That has not changed!

It is a bizarre question to ask in my opinion.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Where ??

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We do have some of our own domestic laws that prevent discrimination... how is this even a question? If someone is racist they are instantly recognised and judged by a normal functioning society. That has not changed!

It is a bizarre question to ask in my opinion.
Personally, I think some things, for a while at least, have changed. Such is the division in society now and such are the tensions that opening this can of worms has brought, it has given some people more courage to behave in an unacceptable manner.

The special question time was interesting earlier. An often repeated theme by all of the panel except perhaps the UKIP bloke was for building unity. Even Diane Abbott made some sense.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Should be punitive measures taken against these idiots on social media reporting racist attacks that are a figment of their imagination.Inciting racial hatred is a crime-doesn't matter if it's the left or the right doing it.Lock 'em all up and throw away the key.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Genuinely I cannot answer at this moment,the dangerous prospect of all non Europeans getting (so called sent home) has crossed my mind and if it gets to that stage all I can say is we will be in a modern derivative form of civil war...

We need a strong leader and government and the laws we have to be enforced.

With or without Brexit this prospect (and hopefully not) this day was always going to arise..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here