Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You’re just gutted that only 12 people will ever get to see your views on the Brexit thread, I fully expect you to shamelessly plug it here on the main board though [emoji6]

Still looking forward to your Sunny Uplands :lolol:

And I see you managed to bounce my views for all to see over there, on the main board :facepalm:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1276078158702313473[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1276078161453895680[/TWEET]

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I'm going to break a fundamental rule of the Bear Pit and say I agree with you. This is the NSC equivalent of North and South Korea reuniting.

So, if you could reciprocate by acknowledging the extent of short or medium or long term economic disruption or devastation or dysfunction then not only do we have a deal, but you'll emerge with your reputation enhanced. How about it?

With absolute sincerity, I was unaware of there were rules, I tend to operate out of the Douglas Bader school of life whereby rules are for the blind obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. But I digress.

To answer the question you pose, the agreement you have arrived at concerning the published press is a matter of fact, I am either right or wrong, to be honest with the Sundays it could even be a draw!

With respect to the outcome of Brexit being economic devastation for a sustained period that will be a matter of opinion until proven, it is currently unproven. I don’t doubt there will be winners and losers, but then that was the case while we were in the EU. That is my own viewpoint, I would not be conceited enough to say I am right, but time will tell. Let’s put a date in the diary for 44 years time hence.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
With absolute sincerity, I was unaware of there were rules, I tend to operate out of the Douglas Bader school of life whereby rules are for the blind obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. But I digress.

To answer the question you pose, the agreement you have arrived at concerning the published press is a matter of fact, I am either right or wrong, to be honest with the Sundays it could even be a draw!

With respect to the outcome of Brexit being economic devastation for a sustained period that will be a matter of opinion until proven, it is currently unproven. I don’t doubt there will be winners and losers, but then that was the case while we were in the EU. That is my own viewpoint, I would not be conceited enough to say I am right, but time will tell. Let’s put a date in the diary for 44 years time hence.

Fab: a brilliant, well argued and insightful response, drawing on a wealth of leading edge research. Many thanks!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So now we’ve established the link you provided isn’t accurate.........the question remains, of the Daily national published newspapers were there more remain than leave? I’m still saying yes there were.

I disagree, but if you want to find a comprehensive list that proves your point I would be happy to change my belief, if I am evidently wrong.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I disagree, but if you want to find a comprehensive list that proves your point I would be happy to change my belief, if I am evidently wrong.

You can’t disagree about the link, it was missing national papers!

If you add in the Remain ones I said were missing, and the star on your side (as leave), what’s the number.......I think I’m right.

Over to you.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You can’t disagree about the link, it was missing national papers!

If you add in the Remain ones I said were missing, and the star on your side (as leave), what’s the number.......I think I’m right.

Over to you.

If I accepted that the Sunday People, The Metro and the Sunday Mirror were pro remain you might have a point, but there is no evidence I have seen that this was the case. And as previously stated, despite the Times stating it was backing remain, the articles they published were more evenly balanced and researchers found that there were slightly more pro leave articles in it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If I accepted that the Sunday People, The Metro and the Sunday Mirror were pro remain you might have a point, but there is no evidence I have seen that this was the case. And as previously stated, despite the Times stating it was backing remain, the articles they published were more evenly balanced and researchers found that there were slightly more pro leave articles in it.

As if you ever bother to look for evidence that challenges your Europhile views ..

The Sunday Mirror comes out for Remain

The People is less strident in its view – in line with its independent positioning – but still concludes that if readers are still in doubt they shouldn't vote out.

https://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/0...rror-editor-chief-lloyd-embleys-eu-referendum

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
As if you ever bother to look for evidence that challenges your Europhile views ..

The Sunday Mirror comes out for Remain

The People is less strident in its view – in line with its independent positioning – but still concludes that if readers are still in doubt they shouldn't vote out.

https://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/0...rror-editor-chief-lloyd-embleys-eu-referendum

Quite wrong, I did look for evidence, I just didn't think to read Lloyd Embley's diary for it. I concede that on that evidence the Sunday Mirror was pro remain.

However, The Times made a statement that it supported remain, yet published more pro leave articles than pro remain, I have seen no analysis of what the balance of articles was for the papers mentioned. It is a weak argument, equating the statement issued by the People as being pro remain, if you want to count all people who didn't vote out as Remain, you can add 13 million people to the remain side.

And what of The Metro?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Boris talked of leaving on Australia terms which means no deal. He was elected to get Brexit done, leaving without a deal is not getting it done but leaving us in limbo. If they do not agree a deal or an extension he should resign and call another election. Leavers say Brexit is about democracy so I would expect them to agree

Is the Benn act still valid?

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN23Y0J6?__twitter_impression=true

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Boris talked of leaving on Australia terms which means no deal. He was elected to get Brexit done, leaving without a deal is not getting it done but leaving us in limbo. If they do not agree a deal or an extension he should resign and call another election. Leavers say Brexit is about democracy so I would expect them to agree

Is the Benn act still valid?

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN23Y0J6?__twitter_impression=true

This would meam Brexiteers have not 'won'. I wouldnt hold your breath. Their skin isnt thick enough.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And what's behind today's window on the Brexiteer advent calendar ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8468593/Britains-chief-Brexit-negotiator-David-Frost-National-Security-Adviser.html

Replacing Sir Mark Sedwill as national security adviser with Boris Johnson's chief negotiator in Europe effectively sets a hard deadline on Brexit trade talks, Downing Street said last night. David Frost, a career diplomat, will move to his new role by the beginning of September. This means that talks with Brussels over a free trade deal will have to be completed by the end of August at the latest. If no agreement is reached by then, the UK will leave without a deal when the transition period ends on December 31. The Government hopes the deadline will increase pressure on EU leaders to make concessions which would which would make it easier to seal a free trade deal.

So we are sticking with the successful strategy of the last 2 years of waiting for the EU to blink first then :facepalm:

In another break from tradition, Mr Frost's is a political appointment rather than a civil service one – meaning he is more akin to a special adviser. Regarded as a close associate of Dominic Cummings, the 55-year-old has no previous national security experience. However, he will now be the principal adviser to the Prime Minister and Cabinet on national security strategy, policy and planning for emergencies.

Because the last thing this Government would want is experience in planning for emergencies :facepalm::facepalm:

So now that Johnson and Cummings have 'dealt with' Covid, they are going to 'deal with' the civil service :shootself

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8468593/Britains-chief-Brexit-negotiator-David-Frost-National-Security-Adviser.html

Replacing Sir Mark Sedwill as national security adviser with Boris Johnson's chief negotiator in Europe effectively sets a hard deadline on Brexit trade talks, Downing Street said last night. David Frost, a career diplomat, will move to his new role by the beginning of September. This means that talks with Brussels over a free trade deal will have to be completed by the end of August at the latest. If no agreement is reached by then, the UK will leave without a deal when the transition period ends on December 31. The Government hopes the deadline will increase pressure on EU leaders to make concessions which would which would make it easier to seal a free trade deal.

So we are sticking with the successful strategy of the last 2 years of waiting for the EU to blink first then :facepalm:

In another break from tradition, Mr Frost's is a political appointment rather than a civil service one – meaning he is more akin to a special adviser. Regarded as a close associate of Dominic Cummings, the 55-year-old has no previous national security experience. However, he will now be the principal adviser to the Prime Minister and Cabinet on national security strategy, policy and planning for emergencies.

Because the last thing this Government would want is experience in planning for emergencies :facepalm::facepalm:

So now that Johnson and Cummings have 'dealt with' Covid, they are going to 'deal with' the civil service :shootself

Trying to deal with shaking up civil service, covid and leaving the world's largest free trade block all at once. Its the perfect way to try bury the Brexit disaster, the figures at the end of it will do the talking

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

This sort of mirrors Trump's actions across the Pond, its all about getting compliant people, who won't have the brains, guts or morals in to the right place to do the leaders bidding.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Where did it all go so wrong?

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here