Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wait, people voted Leave because they didn't like other people expressing different opinions to those they held? Well it makes more sense than a lot of the reasons that have been trotted out for why it happened.

Hugh Grant and the like Directly lead us to Brexit? Astonishing assertion.
I can see how an individual that publicly calls for the press to be accountable and also criticises Johnson would draw the ire of a brexiteer. Makes sense really.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Warwick in Worthing is having a Brexit Party if you are so inclined ???

Well, it is not far from where I currently reside. A short bus ride. If I wasn’t working that night I would genuinely be tempted to pay a visit and see what goes down.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The Warwick in Worthing is having a Brexit Party if you are so inclined ???

They refused to serve me in about 1971 because I didn't look 18. I've never forgiven them. And now I have an even better reason to dislike the place!*

*this obviously runs in my family. My dad was thrown out of The Globe in about 1937 for being a nob and never went in there again. (It's now defunct, so that'll teach 'em.)

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
They refused to serve me in about 1971 because I didn't look 18. I've never forgiven them. And now I have an even better reason to dislike the place!*

*this obviously runs in my family. My dad was thrown out of The Globe in about 1937 for being a nob and never went in there again. (It's now defunct, so that'll teach 'em.)

Finally, back to one of the true causes of Brexit. Long-held, festering grudges which don't really make sense when viewed from the outside.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hugh Grant and the like Directly lead us to Brexit? Astonishing assertion.
I can see how an individual that publicly calls for the press to be accountable and also criticises Johnson would draw the ire of a brexiteer. Makes sense really.

This is the sort of thing Hugh Grant has been opposing. The insufferable, smug, pompous, millionaire prick.

[TWEET]1221708513707220997[/TWEET]

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Wait, people voted Leave because they didn't like other people expressing different opinions to those they held? Well it makes more sense than a lot of the reasons that have been trotted out for why it happened.

No, snowflake libertarians with an inflated opinion of their own knowledge and self importance. People who cannot identify with the man on the street. I actually saw an acquaintance today criticise the quality of boiled eggs in a hotel in Malaysia, from the safety of their sofa in BatterSia. People like that caused Brexit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is the sort of thing Hugh Grant has been opposing. The insufferable, smug, pompous, millionaire prick.

[TWEET]1221708513707220997[/TWEET]

Well quite. And he had no need to pursue that cause.
Excuse the name drop but I was on a job that he was involved with a few years ago and we ended up taking a train from London to Brighton together. He was polite and friendly but spent the entire train journey working in that cause. He literally had 45 minutes between engagements and rather than sitting back and relaxing, he was using every spare minute to work on that.
But he criticised Johnson so I suppose he must me a massive tosser.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

There's always the Spoons round the corner.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I actually saw an acquaintance today criticise the quality of boiled eggs in a hotel in Malaysia, from the safety of their sofa in BatterSia. People like that caused Brexit.

I mean, who would be in another country and then complain about one the other side of the world? Who would do that?

Hang on...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As an aside, I’ve never heard any hate towards Hugh Grant from anyone before. He always comes across as an erudite, thoughtful, individual with considered opinions and a generally nice man. And by all accounts that’s most people’s opinion of him. I guess in some people’s eyes you’re a nice guy until you dare say something against a Tory or Brexit and then you instantly transform into a ****ing ********?

Quite. Gary Lineker - national treasure, until he dared use his celebrity as a platform to criticise Farage / Tommy Robinson et al.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
As an aside, I’ve never heard any hate towards Hugh Grant from anyone before. He always comes across as an erudite, thoughtful, individual with considered opinions and a generally nice man. And by all accounts that’s most people’s opinion of him. I guess in some people’s eyes you’re a nice guy until you dare say something against a Tory or Brexit and then you instantly transform into a ****ing ********?

Another interesting point on this radio profile of Orwell, something that I will definitely take on board and apply when in debate, is if someone says something that you immediately agree with and think is brilliant, stop, think about it. Because that’s when you have probably missed something. And equally when someone says something that immediately infuriated you or you vehemently disagree with, again, stop. Think it through. Have you been prepped, groomed, to react in that fashion?
Useful advice. Something I have certainly been guilty of. Something to ponder there, I think.

I make a point of not listening to a man who gets arrested on Hollywood Boulevard with a toothless brass, whilst Liz Hurley is sat at home doing Jeremy Beadle impressions... also can’t stand the way he does the floppy hair and soppy **** routine all his career.

On our way..

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I mean, who would be in another country and then complain about one the other side of the world? Who would do that?

Hang on...

One I am a citizen of, one I still have a vote in for many years, one from where my pension will be paid. Don’t try to be smart, it doesn’t suit you.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Quite. Gary Lineker - national treasure, until he dared use his celebrity as a platform to criticise Farage / Tommy Robinson et al.

Not one of my favourites; but Gary, I'll forgive you, if you give up the crisps, step into a 'time-machine' and come and join the Albion before the 31st and score a shedload of goals for us!:D

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No, snowflake libertarians with an inflated opinion of their own knowledge and self importance.

Aren't libertarians generally big pro-Brexit types?

People who cannot identify with the man on the street.

So "the man on the street" is fine with the intrusion into the private lives of a young murder victim and her family?

I actually saw an acquaintance today criticise the quality of boiled eggs in a hotel in Malaysia, from the safety of their sofa in BatterSia. People like that caused Brexit.

You're right. All those vox pops in Stoke-on-Trent were full of people saying they voted Leave because of the way people in "BatterSia" criticised boiled eggs in Malaysia. Most of them thought they were actually voting for Breggsit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One I am a citizen of, one I still have a vote in for many years, one from where my pension will be paid. Don’t try to be smart, it doesn’t suit you.

When I see you criticising ppf for saying the same thing to Dave, then you may have some credence.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I make a point of not listening to a man who gets arrested on Hollywood Boulevard with a toothless brass, whilst Liz Hurley is sat at home doing Jeremy Beadle impressions... also can’t stand the way he does the floppy hair and soppy **** routine all his career.

On our way..

If you a make a point of not listening to him, how can you possibly pass judgment on what he says? How do you even know what he says?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here