Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Its the same thing every day here. The great scientist minds of NSC belittling anyone who voted/ wanted to leave, and labelling them thickos and racists.

Its amazing any country around the world can effectively run their own country without being part of a large club.

It's probably going to end up with a very small club called England and Wales.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's tiring a lot of people out, but I don't see what's happening now as "undemocratic", it's simply democracy stuck in a loop.

Loads of engineers have looked at the problem, but no-one can agree what the solution is.

The Lib Dems want to turn it off and on. Boris lied and told us he had a solution but was actually planning to throw it out the window. Parliament closed the window.

Inevitably it will lead to the slow break up of the Union I think. The difference of course being that we won't actually get a say in that at all.

Remarkable times.

It is undemocratic. There are a lot of liars out there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its the same thing every day here. The great scientist minds of NSC belittling anyone who voted/ wanted to leave, and labelling them thickos and racists.

Its amazing any country around the world can effectively run their own country without being part of a large club.

There isn't a single country in the world now, who aren't part of a trading club. The last one was Mauritania who is now in the African club.
For some strange reason the UK wants to get out and stand alone.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I want us to leave, deal or no deal, I don't really care either way. I want the will of the people to be followed through.

Sorry to interrupt but I find it interesting that my three friends who favour a no deal Brexit would all rather remain than accept the May agreement. They do not regard the difference between hard and soft Brexits as being matters of degree. As uber-Brexiteers they most certainly want to leave but regard the May 'vassal state' withdrawal agreement as a totally different animal to the one they favour. For them Leave most certainly doesn't simply mean Leave.

Jan 30, 2008
There isn't a single country in the world now, who aren't part of a trading club. The last one was Mauritania who is now in the African club.

What's strange about a Democratic vote to leave the EU, did the Government force anyone to vote in that referendum, everyone had a choice get over yourself
Regards
DF

dangull

Feb 24, 2013

A trading club is what we originally signed up for, not for a European United States. Come on the EU is not anything like trade agreements between Argentina and Brazil for example.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
May I interrupt with a question?

On the basis that a law designed to stop a no-deal Brexit on 31 October has been passed, if there is neither an acceptable deal nor a request for more time, could the EU say something like 'we can't permit a no-deal as that would be an invalid default position due to illegality'?

You mean the EU having to step in to uphold a law made in the UK because the UK Government are breaking said law. A law, remember, that is unique to the UK, made in the UK, despite us apparently having no ability to make our own laws because everthing is done in Brussels. And our Government want to break the law we made ourselves, but then the EU don't let us? The irony is a bit too much really!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A trading club is what we originally signed up for, not for a European United States. Come on the EU is not anything like trade agreements between Argentina and Brazil for example.

We were in EFTA before we joined the EU.
We did sign up for more political union, but retain sovereignty.

We could do a deal and stay in EFTA, but this government seems incapable of organising it.

It's almost as though they want to get out with no deal. It's probably all their cash in Panama & the Cayman Islands influencing their decisions.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Corbyn is running scared of an Election, something he has called for for three years and when given the opportunity he blocks it. Spineless arse.

I've been reading the past 10 or so pages so just catching up, and whilst I may not agree with you Nomad I so admire your passion, it's far more eloquant than our resident nazi!
I do want to try to ask this without sounding condescending (so apologies if I do), but surely you can see that it's purely tactical? There was talks of Johnson moving the GE date until after the 31st, forcing us out of the EU without a deal, so all that JC/others have done is taken his ball away by not advocating a GE until the right time - they haven't permanently blocked it, just delayed it to stop Johnson's tactics.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just had a quick look at a few news websites. Seems we are still a member of the EU. Jolly good.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
They've both been pretty quiet recently, I'd noticed Tom Watson wasn't on the Labour front bench, no idea where Jeremy Hunt normally sits now. Anyway, they've both been in Parliament and voted in all motions since summer recess, except for Tom Watson abstaining on the early election along with the rest of Labour.

Tom Watson has been around a lot on social media, his Twitter and Facebook are regularly updated and he has a blog on his website he updates. Jeremy Hunt has been much quieter, his most recent activity was his first in a couple of months when he posted on Twitter yesterday.

Looks like we now know why Watson has been lying low recently, he is at odds with Jezza the red regarding when to hold a 2nd referendum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49657006

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Looks like we now know why Watson has been lying low recently, he is at odds with Jezza the red regarding when to hold a 2nd referendum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49657006

Well not much different from all the other parties arguing over strategy to be honest. It's the numbers in parliament caused by May's election. You really can't blame any party for trying to get one over another or internally. Once we vote them in, they will do what they like if they can.

I fully suspect that the NI only backstop was the REAL Boris Plan A but internal power games behind the scenes led to the "let's frighten the EU with damaging OURSELVES" debacle.

I mean really ? How shit was that ?

It reminded of something I witnessed at Millwall a few years back. All their top boys were "giving it large" to the Brighton fans but ended up fighting between themselves whilst the Brighton fans just looked on bemused.

The Tory party, that's you that is.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've been reading the past 10 or so pages so just catching up, and whilst I may not agree with you Nomad I so admire your passion, it's far more eloquant than our resident nazi!
I do want to try to ask this without sounding condescending (so apologies if I do), but surely you can see that it's purely tactical? There was talks of Johnson moving the GE date until after the 31st, forcing us out of the EU without a deal, so all that JC/others have done is taken his ball away by not advocating a GE until the right time - they haven't permanently blocked it, just delayed it to stop Johnson's tactics.

Thank you sir, I appreciate your reply. I will refer you to my previous replies. Sorry.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thank you sir, I appreciate your reply. I will refer you to my previous replies. Sorry.

Sometimes you need to realise that those on your side are utterly rubbish. We've all been through that with Managers / Players at our club. I've posted on another thread but so far (and it's earlier days) Boris Johnson has had a mare.

1) Attempted a negotiation position of "if you don't agree with me I'll blow MY country up" with the EU. Some politician made the point the other day that a negotiating strategy of self harm isn't a very good one.

2) Threatened to sack a number of his own MPs if they didn't vote with the Government which completely backfired when they called his bluff. This I found particularly odd. If they are forced to leave Parliament they inevitably walk into much much better paid jobs immediately. Ask my neighbour :) You can try and guess who that is.

3) Tried to shut down parliament but the rebels got a law through in a few days. Irrespective of the ins and outs, tactically they walked all over him. If he attempts to break the law, hundreds of Tory MPs will resign.

4) Now trying to resurrect May's original plan (NI only backstop) which has lead the DUP to urgently fly over to London for talks at number 10.

The last one is potentially interesting because a number of Labour MPs would think about voting for it. Whether they will now after he's given them a sniff of an election victory (albeit very difficult) is anyone's guess.

He's 0-5 down at half time but stranger things have happened.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But this is someone that actually wants to be seen as doing something, unlike May, unlike that shit storm Cameron. He's putting everything on the line with a no majority to try and see this through, yet still he gets blocked. He is blocked by anti democrats, these people should be hung out to dry. They are anti democrats, they have no right in Parliament. This is an utter disgrace to me, you, everyone here and the nation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here