Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
What’s really sad in all this is that rational,reasonable and intelligent people now seem to have an unhealthy hatred for 52% of the nation, almost a spitting rage ,I firmly believe that in under two years time there will be a hell of a lot of people very disappointed with themselves, the road is going to be very bumpy, what’s worth achieving without a bit of cohesive effort?As a nation we will emerge from this a better, more prosperous place to live and work, within 10 years the EU will have unraveled and We will have been the first to step off the burning deck.Chins up,the future is bright,we’re on our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you have a point here in that we've become a more divided and divisive country. But with respect to the ' spitting rage' factor felt by Remainers towards the 52%, could I direct you to the posts of our friend pasta?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Bullshit. The EU will burn and fall apart...that is just pure project fear.

I never said it will burn, I believe it will unravel, the corner stone of its funding is leaving,a huge chunk of the EU budget will no longer be coughing up on a weekly basis,they know this and are in blind panic at this very minute.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I never said it will burn, I believe it will unravel, the corner stone of its funding is leaving,a huge chunk of the EU budget will no longer be coughing up on a weekly basis,they know this and are in blind panic at this very minute.

Cornerstone of its funding is leaving? Didnt know Germany were planning to leave. Big news.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Us in March,Italy next,won’t be long until the whole,corrupt house of cards comes tumbling down with two of its four biggest funders out.
On our way.

'Italians’ faith in Brussels has plunged in recent years, but a majority want to remain in the Eurozone and the European Union, a new poll has shown.
Asked whether they still had faith in the EU, 56 per cent said no while only 34 per cent said yes, with 10 per cent undecided or not giving an opinion.
Italians’ level of faith in EU institutions has dropped by almost half in just seven years, from an index of 70 out of 100 in 2011, to 38 points now.

Despite that, 55 per cent of Italians would vote to remain in the bloc if a Brexit-style referendum was held, the survey, conducted by polling agency Ipsos for the daily newspaper Corriere della Sera, found.

A quarter of respondents would vote to leave, while 20 per cent did not give an opinion or did not know how they would vote.

If a referendum was held on ditching the euro, 49 per cent would vote to retain the single currency, while 29 per cent would vote to leave, with the rest undecided.'

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Us in March,Italy next,won’t be long until the whole,corrupt house of cards comes tumbling down with two of its four biggest funders out.
On our way.

I'm interested in your assertion (or perhaps assumption) that the EU is corrupt. This is a complex issue.

- I think you mean that because there is a transfer of funds between countries that it is inevitably and essentially 'corrupt'. To be honest, this is an unusual and - no insult - rather simplistic use of the concept

- as far as I know there ae no measure of corruption for a supranational body such as the EU i.e it is very difficult to use evidence as data is not collected at EU level but at the level of member countries. There have been in the past though widely reported case of EU level corruption and perhaps this is what you refer to?

- what we do have is a kind of league table of corruption at a country level, which shows that generally EU countries are relatively OK and that some are rather more OK than the UK

- the EU does have some anti corruption policies and takes the matter rather seriously, but maybe not seriously enough for you?

You were a little critical of Remainers and their bitterness toward Leavers, but sometimes each side make some claims that don't always hold up to scrutiny and in this case I think your use of he word corrupt might fall into this category.

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/w...zed-crime-and-human-trafficking/corruption_en (EU policies)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index (the World League table of corrupt countries - we are 10th 'best)

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
'Italians’ faith in Brussels has plunged in recent years, but a majority want to remain in the Eurozone and the European Union, a new poll has shown.
Asked whether they still had faith in the EU, 56 per cent said no while only 34 per cent said yes, with 10 per cent undecided or not giving an opinion.
Italians’ level of faith in EU institutions has dropped by almost half in just seven years, from an index of 70 out of 100 in 2011, to 38 points now.

Despite that, 55 per cent of Italians would vote to remain in the bloc if a Brexit-style referendum was held, the survey, conducted by polling agency Ipsos for the daily newspaper Corriere della Sera, found.

A quarter of respondents would vote to leave, while 20 per cent did not give an opinion or did not know how they would vote.

If a referendum was held on ditching the euro, 49 per cent would vote to retain the single currency, while 29 per cent would vote to leave, with the rest undecided.'

A bit of an anecdote I grant you,Two days after the referendum in 2016 I Went on honeymoon to Venice and the Lakes, As soon as the Italian people we spoke to gathered We were Brits( I like to speak Italian)) almost to a Man/Woman all they wanted to talk about was Brexit, I would say a ratio of 3 out of 4 would like the opportunity to vote to leave the EU, A snapshot of opinions in a fairly affluent part of the country.
I feel,given the opportunity the Italians will vote to leave.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

That all sounds very similar to the polls here before the referendum.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
That all sounds very similar to the polls here before the referendum.

Compared to baker-lites ....speaking to my like minded friends on my honeymoon.. ill go with it.

As we stumble towards a no brexit deal that could harm the country for generations, Im sure plenty of onlooking countries in the EU will be saying, yeah, I want a slice of that!

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nice to see Corbyn actually rolling his sleeves up. Far too late and ineffectual for it to have any impact but a lovely gesture and nice of him to take time out from blowing up shopping centres or gassing Jews or whatever he is being accused of doing in his spare time this week.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
BrExit - the countdown to 11PM GMT on Friday 29th of March 2019

Compared to baker-lites ....speaking to my like minded friends at a wedding... ill go with it.

As we stumble towards a no brexit deal that could harm the country for generations, Im sure plenty of onlooking countries in the EU will be saying, yeah, I want a slice of that!

Not quite sure what you’re on about here Dave,I wasn’t Speaking to like minded friends at a Wedding.
I was spending 10 days immediately after the referendum chatting to Italians that, on the whole wanted out of the EU almost as much as the UK.
That is 2 of the 4 largest contributors to the Brussels gravy train.
On our way.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Not quite sure what you’re on about here Dave,I was Speaking to like minded friends at a Wedding, I was spending 10 days immediately after the referendum chatting to Italians that, on the whole wanted out of the EU almost as much as the UK.
That is 2 of the 4 largest contributors to the Brussels gravy train.
On our way.

Yes, I recognised my error and corrected it. I was in Rome in April. Didnt find one person (albeit, probably younger generations) who thought it was a good idea. It depends on who you mix with.
You want a no deal Brexit if im right yeah?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Yes, I recognised my error and corrected it. I was in Rome in April. Didnt find one person (albeit, probably younger generations) who thought it was a good idea. It depends on who you mix with.
You want a no deal Brexit if im right yeah?

Not necessarily,given the distinct lack of leadership from our elected representatives it is certainly looking the most likely of outcomes.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Not necessarily,given the distinct lack of leadership from our elected representatives it is certainly looking the most likely of outcomes.

The elected representatives we are giving 'control' of the country to as opposed to being 'controlled' by Brussels? The sunlit uplands are just steps away then.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some Italians may want out, many don’t. Depends what sort of people you mix with. However, a couple of things could happen. They see the mess we are in and think better of it. Or they see the mess we are in and vote to leave , make a far better job of it than us and make us look like idiots all over again.
Either way nobody else wants to leave. They’re clever enough to realise that our referendum was a plunge by Cameron at silencing his backbencher and had nothing to do with whether we’re better off out. Some people saw it as a chance to stop immigration and jumped all over it and ****ed us up. No other country will see that as a good move.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here