Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
It encourages me that the vote on NSC, a microcosm of the cities population is the way it is. Let's face it the city of B&H is universally viewed as a pro EU hotspot and yet the argument is close. Fantastic banter and discussion on here interspersed with some weird posts This national vote will go to the wire.
Good on NSC, fantastic thread!
Now, vote LEAVE ya buggers!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It encourages me that the vote on NSC, a microcosm of the cities population is the way it is. Let's face it the city of B&H is universally viewed as a pro EU hotspot and yet the argument is close. Fantastic banter and discussion on here interspersed with some weird posts This national vote will go to the wire.
Good on NSC, fantastic thread!
Now, vote LEAVE ya buggers!

I suspect that the voters on this poll, predominantly men who like football, are not representative of the population of Brighton as a whole, neither the country.

I also suspect that men who like football are more inclined to vote out, therfore on that basis and this pole, would think that a more representive vote would be even more in favour of remaining...

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I suspect that the voters on this poll, predominantly men who like football, are not representative of the population of Brighton as a whole, neither the country.

I also suspect that men who like football are more inclined to vote out, therfore on that basis and this pole, would think that a more representive vote would be even more in favour of remaining...

Ridiculous. "Men that like football are more inclined to vote out".

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

:facepalm:

Jan 30, 2008
look no further than the next batch on the waiting list, how many UK CITIZENS IN THE QUEUE TO LIVE/WORK IN THESE COUNTRIES DO YOU THINK
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
i suspect that the voters on this poll, predominantly men who like football, are not representative of the population of brighton as a whole, neither the country.

you sound suspect full stop :whistle:
regards
DR

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
I was watching a debate on Newsnight last night featuring Remain v Brexit.Remain as they usually do brought out the theory that immigrants contribute to the economy because they pay tax.Now this REEEEEEAAALLLLLYYY winds me up.Whenever this is brought up no-one on Leave EVER points out that this tax money is just REPLACING the tax a Brit would have paid if he had that job.It is not extra money.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Here's one I like
CiCl-f-XIAA59-6.jpg
:wink:

I bet you do like it.
Its an odd quote though. It insinuates Boris wrote The EU is responsible for our safety and NATO doesn’t really come into it..
Do you think Boris really thought NATO had not played a part in this period of peace,and its the EU we should be thanking when he wrote this just because NATO is not mentioned?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Something on Facebook saying we have to register to vote in the referendum by June 7th. Is there any truth in this or is it new voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I bet you do like it.
Its an odd quote though. It insinuates Boris wrote The EU is responsible for our safety and NATO doesn’t really come into it..
Do you think Boris really thought NATO had not played a part in this period of peace,and its the EU we should be thanking when he wrote this just because NATO is not mentioned?

Blimey, that's a bit convoluted. As the quote doesn't for a moment insinuate that Boris thinks that NATO doesn't come into it, your point has no traction at all. Boris's quote simply says that the EU has helped deliver peace and prosperity. That's what he said and that, we can assume, is what he meant.

I'm sure he still means it, but I bet he wishes he hadn't said it.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I bet you do like it.

I don't think it does insinuate that. It says help. It has helped, it has provide a path from post-soviet meltdown to sunlit democratic uplands. No one is belittling NATO, apart from Brexit fan V. V. Putin. And Donald J. Trump who has little time for NATO and less for the EU. hmm.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Blimey, that's a bit convoluted. As the quote doesn't for a moment insinuate that Boris thinks that NATO doesn't come into it, your point has no traction at all. Boris's quote simply says that the EU has helped deliver peace and prosperity. That's what he said and that, we can assume, is what he meant.

I'm sure he still means it, but I bet he wishes he hadn't said it.

I don't think it does insinuate that. It says help. It has helped, it has provide a path from post-soviet meltdown to sunlit democratic uplands. No one is belittling NATO, apart from Brexit fan V. V. Putin. And Donald J. Trump who has little time for NATO and less for the EU. hmm.

The quote as posted by 5ways clearly favours the EU instead of NATO though
I know you EU lovers are keen to airbrush NATO out of the equation and heap all praise on the EU....so why no mention of NATO`s part in peace and prosperity?

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
The quote as posted by 5ways clearly favours the EU instead of NATO though
I know you EU lovers are keen to airbrush NATO out of the equation and heap all praise on the EU....so why no mention of NATO`s part in peace and prosperity?

The quote isn't about NATO. The key word is 'helped'. But I think they work well together if that's what you're asking.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Fecking depressing thread this. Thankfully, as pointed out above, it's far from representative of the country as a whole.

There are a loud and vocal minority on here who shout down any sense or facts, and fair play to those who attempt to oppose them but it's basically pointless. Most who oppose the shouting just don't bother posting as you can't educate pork.

Interestingly, the shouters are generally the same ones who also shouted about UKIP winning loads of seats in the last election and changing British politics forever. Well done.

I'll leave this thread alone now as it's not good for the blood pressure of anyone with a brain.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I am favour in the big banks staying in London simply because they pay such an extraordinary amount of tax. It's not just a few bankers and fund managers, it's lawyers, it's actuaries and insurance salespeople, it's financial analysis, risk analysis. Shipping, metals, oil, grain. It's trading, it's business, it's opportunity. Thousands of well paid jobs for British people. This supports the wider economy, tailors, taxi's, high-end sushi spots. All businesses act in its own interest to make money. You can talk about levels of regulation, that's up to the government. Austerity is up to the government. But I see no reason to risk the golden goose.

Mercantilism is zero-sum, if I have this piece of gold you do not have it, therefore I am richer. It's obviously more complicated than that, there's no upper limit to the size of an economy and the activity within it. Banks will do business where the market leads them. If we are shut out of the largest and richest market banks will shift their focus away from London.

I know you do, and it's why you are young or naive (probably both). Your veneration of the city, bankers and all their associated instruments was the approach taken by Govts like the Labour Govt under Blair and Brown which ultimately crashed the economies of many countries back in 2007.

It's your deferential attitude to the Golden Egg capitalists that would End up Knighting fools like Fred Goodwin and others like Phillip Green, and yet we can understand how these people operate, and quite how that benefits the poor.

In summary austerity, such as that in Greece, is largely the poor paying for the mistakes and excess of the corporate rich. Countries like Greece and Portugal are seeing their workers rights diminished, pay cut, public services reduce, and national assets privatised. It's why France today is having a no confidence vote in its Government.

All this pain suffered by the working class to save the banks and institutions like Goldman Sachs who acted irresponsibly.

So why should I or anyone else accept THEIR visions and predictions on what is in MY interest........they have been woefully wrong before.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I know you do, and it's why you are young or naive (probably both). Your veneration of the city, bankers and all their associated instruments was the approach taken by Govts like the Labour Govt under Blair and Brown which ultimately crashed the economies of many countries back in 2007.

It's your deferential attitude to the Golden Egg capitalists that would End up Knighting fools like Fred Goodwin and others like Phillip Green, and yet we can understand how these people operate, and quite how that benefits the poor.

In summary austerity, such as that in Greece, is largely the poor paying for the mistakes and excess of the corporate rich. Countries like Greece and Portugal are seeing their workers rights diminished, pay cut, public services reduce, and national assets privatised. It's why France today is having a no confidence vote in its Government.

All this pain suffered by the working class to save the banks and institutions like Goldman Sachs who acted irresponsibly.

So why should I or anyone else accept THEIR visions and predictions on what is in MY interest........they have been woefully wrong before.

Talk about naïve! You seem to lay the whole blame for the 2008 crash at the feet of Blair and Brown. Ignore the fact that deregulation of the banks was started in the 80s by the Tories. Ignore the fact the catalyst was the irresponsible sub prime lending in the states. Ignore the fact that in the years leading up to the crash the Tories were for even more deregulation of the finance sector.

What is incredible even more naïve is your believe that the institutions you castigate won't have more say over what happens than you if we did come out of the EU. The rich vested interests that support and fund the Tory party will have far more input into policy than the working class mug on the street!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here