Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I am happy for you to Base your view on whatever you like, as long as you don't claim your view is the majority view. You can only guess at what the majority think.

My view is the future of the UK is better served by leaving the EU .. a majority for whatever reason agree. Acknowledge it /get over it and move on.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I'm not sure I can dumb it down any further but i will try.

Company moves to Poland and starts manufacturing in Poland. It then looks to export the goods to:

Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Bulgaria
Romania
Germany
Austria
Italy
France
Spain
Portugal
Malta
Cyprus
Greece
Luxembourg
Belgium
Holland
Finland
Iceland
Hungary
Slovenia
Slovakia
Croatia

No tariffs are applied and the finished goods can be transported freely between borders

Exports to UK

Tariffs applied

Stay in UK and Exports to countries above

Tariffs applied

Therefore by manufacturing in Piland all goods sold within the EU are cheaper than gaving been made in the UK and then had tariffs applied.

It really is that simple

Its certainly not that simple to move a whole operation and workforce to another country. The rhetoric coming from the city and certain areas of industry reminds me of the three little pigs and the big bad wolf. In the case of Deloitte they may as well go because I don't see them getting any more government work after their lack of data security.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You'll see on that link, leave Voters don't consider control of immigration as important as decisions being made in the UK. We don't know the exact reasons for voting breakdown, and we won't as there wasn't a poll on all the separate issues.

We only voted to leave the EU, that's all. I appreciate that to many leave people that means a lot of things as a defacto result, but they are wrong.

It is up to the government, the parliament and the house of lords etc. to ensure Brexit is undertaken in the interests of the country as a whole.

Your the only one suggesting control of immigration was the main reason so what is your point? Yes there was a poll on the issues, see Lord Ashcrofts poll for reasons why people voted leave.

You didn't vote leave so less of the we.Get you .... determining they were wrong.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
My view is the future of the UK is better served by leaving the EU .. a majority for whatever reason agree. Acknowledge it /get over it and move on.

But you do not have any legitimate call on the terms of our future relationship with the EU, as a non member. That is what we were discussing. I am quite aware of the referendum result, and what the question was.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Your the only one suggesting control of immigration was the main reason so what is your point? Yes there was a poll on the issues, see Lord Ashcrofts poll for reasons why people voted leave.

You didn't vote leave so less of the we.Get you .... determining they were wrong.

My point is we (as in us, as in the UK collectively, not me personally!) only voted to leave the EU, that's all. I appreciate that to many leave people that means a lot of things as a defacto result, but they are wrong.

It is up to the government, the parliament and the house of lords etc. to ensure Brexit is undertaken in the interests of the country as a whole.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Its certainly not that simple to move a whole operation and workforce to another country. The rhetoric coming from the city and certain areas of industry reminds me of the three little pigs and the big bad wolf. In the case of Deloitte they may as well go because I don't see them getting any more government work after their lack of data security.

Didn't two out of three pigs get eaten by the Wolf?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not sure I can dumb it down any further but i will try.

Company moves to Poland and starts manufacturing in Poland. It then looks to export the goods to:

any where there is a market for the product, in or out of the EU.

they may have to adjust prices to accomodate tariffs into some markets which will make them a little less competitive or lower margin, and there are other factors to purchasing than simple price. you need to grow out of this mind set that being out of Europe ceases trade in either direction, it adjusts the economics by a few %.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
any where there is a market for the product, in or out of the EU.

they may have to adjust prices to accomodate tariffs into some markets which will make them a little less competitive or lower margin, and there are other factors to purchasing than simple price. you need to grow out of this mind set that being out of Europe ceases trade in either direction, it adjusts the economics by a few %.

I've never had that mindset obviously trade will continue the issue is whether its on a tariff or free basis. I doubt that there will be any punitive tariffs between the EU/UK unless if course the French don't want Somerset Brie being freely available throughout the EU.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
For **** us all see respecting the majority wishes. To repeat maintaining full access will almost certainly mean keeping free movement and primacy of ECJ law/rulings plus a significant yearly fee.

And this is the rub of it, what they are proposing actually means NO brexit at all, we know it, they know it but wont admit it.
They then have the balls to try and disguise NO brexit by inventing the term "soft" brexit instead.

Unfortunately The EU and its supporters dont like citizens having views and opinions through votes, they will be throwing as much as they can over the next months to try and stop the majority vote or at least tie it up in legal wrangles.
The inevitable delays can only harm the country and business who want some certainty in moving forward, but they know this and encourage it, they seem to now wish economic uncertainty and downturns to prove a point.
All very unedifying.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No, not guessing just going on the main Leave themes of the campaign and polling evidence whereas you conveniently, continuously focus on the extreme fringe reasons.

Its interesting isnt it, in one breath the remainers say immigration wasnt really an issue so lets keep free movement and in the next breath some of them say it was all about immigration, look at the media, look at what leave campaigners were saying...i was ashamed to be British...it was all racist and xenophobic and about getting rid of brown people ...... blah blah blah.

perhaps they could make their own mind up first before lecturing leavers on what they thought leaving the EU meant.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I wonder what the % of people is that knew that the EEA and the EU are not one and the same? An interesting development below:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38126899

Lawyers say uncertainty over the UK's European Economic Area membership means ministers could be stopped from taking Britain out of the single market.
They will argue the UK will not leave the EEA automatically when it leaves the EU and Parliament should decide.

I assume the article is saying that even if the Supreme Court decide the Government has the mandate to exit the EU, it does not have a mandate to leave the EEA so Parliament would need to vote?

I'm not too stressed about that, I believe Parliament should vote on the overall approach.

I'd be more unhappy if we emerged with the newly-conceived "soft Brexit" option without having had it discussed in Parliament.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Lawyers say uncertainty over the UK's European Economic Area membership means ministers could be stopped from taking Britain out of the single market.
They will argue the UK will not leave the EEA automatically when it leaves the EU and Parliament should decide.

I assume the article is saying that even if the Supreme Court decide the Government has the mandate to exit the EU, it does not have a mandate to leave the EEA so Parliament would need to vote?

I'm not too stressed about that, I believe Parliament should vote on the overall approach.

I'd be more unhappy if we emerged with the newly-conceived "soft Brexit" option without having had it discussed in Parliament.

Or we could just leave it to Teresa May's god to guide us.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I think what they're actually saying is that there are 2 different articles (50 & 127) and therefore two different debates and votes regardless of the supreme court decision. Note 'I think' :)

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...in-good-brexit-deal-britain-rest-union-warns/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-help-old-friend-britain-reach-best-possible/

And for a little bit of balance (spent too much time on the Guardian website), somebody else who thinks the EU should open the dictionary and look up the word "compromise"......the Polish PM says

Whether we manage to complete this arduous task of bringing negotiations to a satisfying result will depend solely on our imagination and leadership. We need a good compromise which gives both our countries the best possible options for economic and security cooperation.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Keep in mind what is happening in Switzerland, who back in 2014 also had a Referendum, which in their case required their Government to limit EU migration. After more than 2 years in "negotiation" (you might well call it EU intransigence), the Swiss Government have approved legislation which would ....

encourage employers to give them and local Swiss nationals priority for job openings, and to advertise vacancies at local job centres before recruiting from abroad, in particular economic sectors if net immigration went above average levels in other European countries.

Crucially, the plan does not include any fixed limits to EU immigration, and stipulates that specific EU approval would have to be obtained before any such curbs could be imposed.

Well done Switzerland - that's really showing them!

An EU official said.....

“We cannot set a precedent on free movement, especially not now, given the UK situation,” said one EU diplomat. “We can’t have caps or quotas or emergency brakes and single market access. The Swiss have taken a decision and it has certain consequences. They will have to find their own way out.”

Doesn't bode well for our own negotiations. Once again the EU happily sacrifices democracy at a country level on the bonfire of their "fundamental pillars". Small wonder a lot of people don't like the organisation.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It was my understanding that membership of the EEA is only available to members of the EU or EFTA. Leaving one of those organisations without joining the other would end membership of the EEA. I am not sure whether EFTA membership is attained by right of compliance with its terms or if other nations have to agree to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here