[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not sure I can dumb it down any further but i will try.

Company moves to Poland and starts manufacturing in Poland. It then looks to export the goods to:

Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Bulgaria
Romania
Germany
Austria
Italy
France
Spain
Portugal
Malta
Cyprus
Greece
Luxembourg
Belgium
Holland
Finland
Iceland
Hungary
Slovenia
Slovakia
Croatia

No tariffs are applied and the finished goods can be transported freely between borders

Exports to UK

Tariffs applied

Stay in UK and Exports to countries above

Tariffs applied

Therefore by manufacturing in Piland all goods sold within the EU are cheaper than gaving been made in the UK and then had tariffs applied.

It really is that simple
I get it now! You know in advance the outcome of the Brexit negotiations. Impressive stuff!

Can you now let us know who's going to win the 2:30 at Plumpton tomorrow?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I can see the other side of this argument. A lot of people voted to Remain and I think a compromise needs to be found that also incorporates their concerns. This is what John Major meant by 'the tyranny of the majority.' The irony of Major, Blair and assorted posters on here calling for this is that pre Referendum there was very little interest from them in diluting their majority tyranny. The direction of travel ever since 1975 was more and more integration and signing of treaties and all on the basis they won one vote in 1975 which did not ask the people's views on this ever closer union.
Despite this I would still prefer that on leaving the EU every effort is made to find compromise with people who didn't seem
capable of it themselves.

I applaud your seemingly endless patience and usual conciliatory tone but there seems to be very little appetite for compromise from the people insisting we retain our current Single Market full access even if that means fundamental concessions undermining the majority vote .. or from the EU.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
For **** us all see respecting the majority wishes. To repeat maintaining full access will almost certainly mean keeping free movement and primacy of ECJ law/rulings plus a significant yearly fee. Yes all people on all sides voted for a range of reasons with some crossover but the main issues for Leave voters were Sovereignty, 'Taking Back Control', Immigration, Eu membership cost. For Remain it seemed mainly economic so what you are saying is despite losing the vote the main concern of your side should take priority over all the main issues the majority wanted addressed.

If I am correctly interpreting your position then your argument would also be hugely damaging to our negotiation position/national interest.

We really really want to maintain full access to the single market, it's our overriding number one goal ... if you listen carefully you can hear the EU negotiating team's laughter.

You are guessing at what the majority want to achieve with Brexit. But even if a majority say they want an end to uncontrolled EU immigration, there is no right to have it at any cost.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No it's not. If you are dumb enough to think that the ONLY reason to set-up in a country is TARIFFS, you know SWEET FA about business. What an absolutely pathetic argument.

Look at the social costs of starting companies/employing people in France. Wonder why France has so little inward investment and has to protect its industries? Tariffs are just ONE of MANY factors comapnies take into consideration when deciding on location/investment plans.

Do read the post in context it was just one part of a discussion, no more no less, but to enable you to jump onto the capital lock key you have decided to read it isolation.

You must be so happy.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You are guessing at what the majority want to achieve with Brexit. But even if a majority say they want an end to uncontrolled EU immigration, there is no right to have it at any cost.

No, not guessing just going on the main Leave themes of the campaign and polling evidence whereas you conveniently, continuously focus on the extreme fringe reasons.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No, not guessing just going on the main Leave themes of the campaign and polling evidence whereas you conveniently, continuously focus on the extreme fringe reasons.

If polling evidence was all we needed, remain would have won and Clinton would be on her way to the Whitehouse, you are guessing.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If polling evidence was all we needed, remain would have won and Clinton would be on her way to the Whitehouse, you are guessing.

Seriously these pollsters probably earn more than most on here and they seem to be rather bad at their job. Mistakes like that would be a warning for most

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Your arguments started off p*** poor and are getting worse, I didn't base my entire view on polls .... time to give up and acknowledge the reality of our situation?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Your arguments started off p*** poor and are getting worse, I didn't base my entire view on polls .... time to give up and acknowledge the reality of our situation?

I am happy for you to Base your view on whatever you like, as long as you don't claim your view is the majority view. You can only guess at what the majority think.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
And the main reasons why people wanted to Leave the EU were?

You'll see on that link, leave Voters don't consider control of immigration as important as decisions being made in the UK. We don't know the exact reasons for voting breakdown, and we won't as there wasn't a poll on all the separate issues.

We only voted to leave the EU, that's all. I appreciate that to many leave people that means a lot of things as a defacto result, but they are wrong.

It is up to the government, the parliament and the house of lords etc. to ensure Brexit is undertaken in the interests of the country as a whole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports