Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If tariffs are imposed on the Uk it would be expected that that the UK would act likewise. I'm sure the executives running BMW, Audi, Porsche, Renault, Citroen etc would not welcome such measures, likewise most of the other EU exporters to the UK. AS the EU exports more to the Uk than the Uk exports to the EU it would be rather a pyrrhic victory for the EU, its not going to happen. As for hard Brexit, not sure what that means, journalistic talk, elite euphemisms terms of the chattering class, would JLR really make an announcement such as yesterday and then go through the huge expense of relocating, especially as their emerging market is in Indai, the US and the far east. Sky News as a source, is not credible as are non of the other channels, read between the lines, don't be reliant on others and draw your own conclusion. Clearly JLR have changed their position on a week.

Why is Sky News not a credible source given this was an interview where a question was asked and answered. You also seem to be pinning a lot on a statement where the requirement was for a large Government investment, basically to induce JLR to stay.

You are also looking at EU tariffs as an EU/UK issue, and ignoring that if manufactured in the EU there are no tariffs to export to within the EU.

If you don't understand hard Brexit then you should give yourself some homework for the weekend, as its not difficult to understand

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RIDDICK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME NECRO *******S OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We have no hope left. Not even the smallest shred of positivity to extricate from the cesspit of woe we are engulfed in.
[MENTION=19232]GoldWithFalmer[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Cobblers. When asking a binary question to leave or stay in the EU there is no second prize for the losing side where they get to decide the terms of our leaving which fundamentally negates and undermines the will of the majority. If the result had been reversed I am certain the losing side would have been told to respect the majority view and fully embrace our EU membership. I will not be surprised at the political establishment's ability to fail to deliver what many people continuously vote for.

It is not just those on the "losing side" that want to maintain full access though. There is a crossover with some leave voters preferring to maintain full access, and some remain saying if we are leaving control of immigration is a top priority. It is exactly your sort of stance that Major is talking about, you don't get to **** us all just to get control of immigration on the basis of a referendum that did not ask that question. You will be insisting we spend an extra £350 million a week on the NHS and refuse all Syrian asylum seekers next.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We have no hope left. Not even the smallest shred of positivity to extricate from the cesspit of woe we are engulfed in.
[MENTION=19232]GoldWithFalmer[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

This for the remainers btw :lolol: thanks [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION]

This was found on a Palace forum and thought it would be appropriate here too...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Run along now [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION] the sun is setting and this thread changes after dark,for the worse. :lolol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Oh I'm alright, I've got all night to go yet, works quite at mo, so a bit more NSC reading time still to go. :)

Excellent! well i have a car waiting just in case..

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It is not just those on the "losing side" that want to maintain full access though. There is a crossover with some leave voters preferring to maintain full access, and some remain saying if we are leaving control of immigration is a top priority. It is exactly your sort of stance that Major is talking about, you don't get to **** us all just to get control of immigration on the basis of a referendum that did not ask that question. You will be insisting we spend an extra £350 million a week on the NHS and refuse all Syrian asylum seekers next.

For **** us all see respecting the majority wishes. To repeat maintaining full access will almost certainly mean keeping free movement and primacy of ECJ law/rulings plus a significant yearly fee. Yes all people on all sides voted for a range of reasons with some crossover but the main issues for Leave voters were Sovereignty, 'Taking Back Control', Immigration, Eu membership cost. For Remain it seemed mainly economic so what you are saying is despite losing the vote the main concern of your side should take priority over all the main issues the majority wanted addressed.

If I am correctly interpreting your position then your argument would also be hugely damaging to our negotiation position/national interest.

We really really want to maintain full access to the single market, it's our overriding number one goal ... if you listen carefully you can hear the EU negotiating team's laughter.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
For **** us all see respecting the majority wishes. To repeat maintaining full access will almost certainly mean keeping free movement and primacy of ECJ law/rulings plus a significant yearly fee. Yes all people on all sides voted for a range of reasons with some crossover but the main issues for Leave voters were Sovereignty, 'Taking Back Control', Immigration, Eu membership cost. For Remain it seemed mainly economic so what you are saying is despite losing the vote the main concern of your side should take priority over all the main issues the majority wanted addressed.

If I am correctly interpreting your position then your argument would also be hugely damaging to our negotiation position/national interest.

We really really want to maintain full access to the single market, it's our overriding number one goal ... if you listen carefully you can hear the EU negotiating team's laughter.

I can see the other side of this argument. A lot of people voted to Remain and I think a compromise needs to be found that also incorporates their concerns. This is what John Major meant by 'the tyranny of the majority.' The irony of Major, Blair and assorted posters on here calling for this is that pre Referendum there was very little interest from them in diluting their majority tyranny. The direction of travel ever since 1975 was more and more integration and signing of treaties and all on the basis they won one vote in 1975 which did not ask the people's views on this ever closer union.
Despite this I would still prefer that on leaving the EU every effort is made to find compromise with people who didn't seem
capable of it themselves.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Why is Sky News not a credible source given this was an interview where a question was asked and answered. You also seem to be pinning a lot on a statement where the requirement was for a large Government investment, basically to induce JLR to stay.

You are also looking at EU tariffs as an EU/UK issue, and ignoring that if manufactured in the EU there are no tariffs to export to within the EU.

If you don't understand hard Brexit then you should give yourself some homework for the weekend, as its not difficult to understand

Government incentives, Air France, Renault, Fiat, EDF it goes on and on, you talk of incentives from governments as is if they are a rare, we've recently seen it with the steel industry and it was hailed as a good thing.

I don't inderstand your middle paragraph?

Hard Brexit, soft Brexit still not sure. The vote was to leave the EU, if the EU wants to impose penalties and tariffs on the UK subsequent to our leaving then the UK will of course respond in kind. Clearly the Germans would like a trade deal with us or to continue with the current arrangement, free movement and free trade are not linked, as in the case of Mexico and Canada who have trade agreements and no free movement, why should this not be achievable in the case of the UK.

But what is significant about Brexit is that we will have self determination and not be beholden to laws made by unelected beaurocrats with a self serving agenda.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The House of Lords amends but does not initiate legislation. The U.K. system may not be perfect but it is
more accountable to the British people than the European Commission and the rest of the EU apparatus.

Unlike Brussels, the House of Lords is ultimately advisory - the Commons can over-ride them. Not perfect, I know, but generally it works OK.

Definitely not perfect.

article-0-0CCFDCDC000005DC-684_468x286.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I'm not sure I can dumb it down any further but i will try.

Company moves to Poland and starts manufacturing in Poland. It then looks to export the goods to:

Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Bulgaria
Romania
Germany
Austria
Italy
France
Spain
Portugal
Malta
Cyprus
Greece
Luxembourg
Belgium
Holland
Finland
Iceland
Hungary
Slovenia
Slovakia
Croatia

No tariffs are applied and the finished goods can be transported freely between borders

Exports to UK

Tariffs applied

Stay in UK and Exports to countries above

Tariffs applied

Therefore by manufacturing in Piland all goods sold within the EU are cheaper than gaving been made in the UK and then had tariffs applied.

It really is that simple

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Government incentives, Air France, Renault, Fiat, EDF it goes on and on, you talk of incentives from governments as is if they are a rare, we've recently seen it with the steel industry and it was hailed as a good thing.

Hard Brexit, soft Brexit still not sure. The vote was to leave the EU, if the EU wants to impose penalties and tariffs on the UK subsequent to our leaving then the UK will of course respond in kind. Clearly the Germans would like a trade deal with us or to continue with the current arrangement, free movement and free trade are not linked, as in the case of Mexico and Canada who have trade agreements and no free movement, why should this not be achievable in the case of the UK.

But what is significant about Brexit is that we will have self determination and not be beholden to laws made by unelected beaurocrats with a self serving agenda.

We have nothing to fear from running our own trade policy.
https://capx.co/we-have-nothing-to-fear-from-running-our-own-trade-policy/

larus

I'm not sure I can dumb it down any further but i will try.

Company moves to Poland and starts manufacturing in Poland. It then looks to export the goods to:

Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Bulgaria
Romania
Germany
Austria
Italy
France
Spain
Portugal
Malta
Cyprus
Greece
Luxembourg
Belgium
Holland
Finland
Iceland
Hungary
Slovenia
Slovakia
Croatia

No tariffs are applied and the finished goods can be transported freely between borders

Exports to UK

Tariffs applied

Stay in UK and Exports to countries above

Tariffs applied

Therefore by manufacturing in Piland all goods sold within the EU are cheaper than gaving been made in the UK and then had tariffs applied.

It really is that simple

No it's not. If you are dumb enough to think that the ONLY reason to set-up in a country is TARIFFS, you know SWEET FA about business. What an absolutely pathetic argument.

Look at the social costs of starting companies/employing people in France. Wonder why France has so little inward investment and has to protect its industries? Tariffs are just ONE of MANY factors comapnies take into consideration when deciding on location/investment plans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here