[Football] Bottom 6 remaining games

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It is nowhere close to being a must win game. Burnley could end up being must win on the last day, but let's not contemplate that just yet.

Anyway, a win over Man Utd and we should be ok.

Opinions eh? We may not even need to win it when we get to it but as things stand we could have no further points before that game comes around,

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If we can beat Norwich, then it starts to become a very hard ask for 3 of the bottom 5 to catch us.

I'm actually more anxious about that game than Arsenal, Foxes & Man Utd. Those felt like free hits, this is our real must-win of Tournament Restart. Although that's been slightly reduced by our superb 4pts to date, it's still the game we really need to be getting 3pts from to put an end to any doubt. Which creates that nervous anticipation and fear...

Best that we don't lose it, but not a must win.
In theory we should be aiming for 6 pts from Narch/Newcastle/Saints/Burnley.
But we could easily lose them all and pick up points from City/Liverpool/Utd.

10 of our points this season have come from 9 games against the traditional top 6 and a further 4pts from 6 games against this season's other high flyers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is nowhere close to being a must win game. Burnley could end up being must win on the last day, but let's not contemplate that just yet.

Anyway, a win over Man Utd and we should be ok.

This. We need one win from 7 to be more or less secure, and may not even need that. Doesn't matter which game it's in. Would love it to be vs Man U and allow us a bit more freedom to develop Potterball in the remaining games.........

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Being extremely generous! Villa have Wolves, Liverpool, Man Utd, Palace, Everton, Arsenal and West Ham? Which two do you think they'll win?

Villa seem to still have a bit of fight. Wolves struggled v Bournemouth, it's possible they could struggle against Villa. Palace - how injured is Zaha? Will he be available for that game because their record without him is not that good, and if Europe is out of sight, what are they playing for? Everton only managed to beat Norwich by one goal and haven't exactly had a great season, again with little to play for. If I were being generous, or were an optimistic Villa fan I'd see Palace, Everton and West Ham as winnable games, Wolves and Arsenal as games to get something from. Liverpool could be a wild card with the title race won - will they pick kids, will they still be hung over, etc.

As for Bournemouth, they've got Newcastle, Man Utd, Spurs, Leicester, Man City, Southampton and Everton. Which 3 of those do you think they can win based on current form?

Bournemouth look less up for the fight, but a single result could turn that around. Being generous, I'm looking at Newcastle, Southampton and Everton as winnable - all three safe with nothing to play for. Leicester are slipping, but I'd still expect them to have too much for Bournemouth. Man U and Spurs should have too much. I'd see City as a wild card - similarly to liverpool, the race is over will they be playing youngsters, will they be dejected from missing out on the title, and the City Bournemouth games have had a bit of spice to them in recent years.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
It's really useful for us that of the remaining fixtures, there's a number of them where the chasing pack play each other. Draws would be beautiful, but if one team wins the other suffers. West Ham in particular, 3 of their last 4 look like they could be really useful for us.

Jimmy Grimble

One of the teams below us will piece together a couple of wins and draws, surely?

I just cannot see all of them maintaining the terrible form they’ve restarted with. As we know, one win has a big impact on confidence and momentum.

As long as it is only one of them we’ll be fine.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

One of the teams below us will piece together a couple of wins and draws, surely?

I just cannot see all of them maintaining the terrible form they’ve restarted with. As we know, one win has a big impact on confidence and momentum.

As long as it is only one of them we’ll be fine.

That's how I see it too - it will get a lot closer and more uncomfortable than it currently feels but I really thought we might have been in the bottom 3 after the first round of games, so fingers crossed, we ourselves grab the opportunity that is here, sooner rather than later!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I would expect Wolves to be right up for it tomorrow. Still in with a great chance of a Champions League place and playing against local rivals Villa. Wolves fans would love their team to help send Villa down. Come on the Wolves.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I would expect Wolves to be right up for it tomorrow. Still in with a great chance of a Champions League place and playing against local rivals Villa. Wolves fans would love their team to help send Villa down. Come on the Wolves.

I still think Villa are the most likely of the bottom five to survive. Bournemouth look done and I think that Villa will drag a point or two more than West Ham and Watford out of the remaining games.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I've been looking at some of the messageboards of the struggling sides.
The most positive and hopeful group seem to be the Villa fans, the fans that seem to have given up are B'muff, and the most depressed seem to be West Ham fans who feel half their team have given up, they have no decent strikers and the only two that can tackle are Noble and Rice.
Interestingly there now seems to be hardly any mention of Brighton.

Like most others I think the weakest are B'muff and Villa (to join Norwich).

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This. We need one win from 7 to be more or less secure, and may not even need that. Doesn't matter which game it's in. Would love it to be vs Man U and allow us a bit more freedom to develop Potterball in the remaining games.........

I worry slightly about the fact that clubs below us (apart from Bournemouth) have to play each other, so some of them must pick up points somewhere. West Ham play Norwich, Watford and Villa.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I worry slightly about the fact that clubs below us (apart from Bournemouth) have to play each other, so some of them must pick up points somewhere. West Ham play Norwich, Watford and Villa.

But then they can't all win. I'd be more worried if they were playing 7th-14th. I know there's prize money on offer but no fans, nothing to play for, everything else going are they going to be as fussed

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'm not expecting Newcastle to get to the FA Cup semi-final as they are currently losing 1-0 to Man City with just 30 mins remaining.
If by some miracle they did go through then our league game against them is the same weekend.
Therefore our home fixture would need to move to 21/22 July.

Yep, I don't know why I bothered either!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Watford

West Ham (a)
Manchester City (h)
Arsenal (a)

West Ham

Watford (h)
Manchester United (a)
Aston Villa (h)

Bournemouth