Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bottle luzzed at Man United team bus

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd like to be able to point out that some of their fans are violent thugs without someone mentioning Hillsborough.

And to have a sensible debate at some point about the fact that they boo the national anthem and think of themselves as completely separate and yet still have England players in the squad.

We can move on to entitlement and the fact that an absolute ton of their fans have never been to Liverpool, let alone set foot in Anfield, especially if they're over 45, after that if you want, but I do have some work to do today.

There are people on NSC who are happy to call Chelsea 'chavs', Palace Nigels or Pikeys, Man U entitled and plastic who won't have a bad word said about Liverpool for fear of being seen to be on the wrong side of Hillsborough.

In fact, it would be good to be able to gently mock them like any other of the 18 clubs in the Premier League that we play. It's the South Park principle, mock absolutely everything and you're neither employing an 'ism' nor punching down. Same treatment for all. But because one of Liverpool's supposed characteristics is mawkishness it's not allowed. To extend the analogy it's Isaac Hayes' Scientology moment.
Everton fans are in solidarity with Liverpool over Hillsborough. Some things are not open for mocking like the Munich air crash.
You don't like mawkishness but it's all you have.

Ps I haven't called any other team chavs or 'pikeys', the latter being classed as a racial slur against travellers, legally. Neither did I watch South Park.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'd like to be able to point out that some of their fans are violent thugs without someone mentioning Hillsborough.

And to have a sensible debate at some point about the fact that they boo the national anthem and think of themselves as completely separate and yet still have England players in the squad.

We can move on to entitlement and the fact that an absolute ton of their fans have never been to Liverpool, let alone set foot in Anfield, especially if they're over 45, after that if you want, but I do have some work to do today.

There are people on NSC who are happy to call Chelsea 'chavs', Palace Nigels or Pikeys, Man U entitled and plastic who won't have a bad word said about Liverpool for fear of being seen to be on the wrong side of Hillsborough.

In fact, it would be good to be able to gently mock them like any other of the 18 clubs in the Premier League that we play. It's the South Park principle, mock absolutely everything and you're neither employing an 'ism' nor punching down. Same treatment for all. But because one of Liverpool's supposed characteristics is mawkishness it's not allowed. To extend the analogy it's Isaac Hayes' Scientology moment.
You can guarantee there's a hundred NSCer's right now pondering whether it's safe to venture out of the echo chamber and give your post a thumbs up. Like you, I don't think Liverpool fans should be given any special dispensation on an incident-by-incident basis because Hillsborough

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Out of interest, if I'd immediately reported your reply (to erm, you) would you have seen the funny side?
Reported which post?

I fear I'm being whooshed here but, yes, I see the funny side of an awful lot of NSC. If I didn't I'd have quit it a long time ago instead of putting up with the occasional threats to me that come with helping to moderate it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A Liverpool fan (or sort of fan) threw a bottle at a team bus yesterday. Some folks made a joke about it (no-one was hurt) but almost, if not all, say the wider issue is poor behaviour and agree it should not be tolerated.

Liverpool fans, as far as I am aware, do not have such a bad reputation as some others. But they will still have their fools among them. Much like us. Although I think we have amongst the least of poor reputations.

I'm not sure how Hillsborough or even Heysel comes into it. It is an incident that occurred this weekend. As for Liverpool fans generally, I've been out of touch for a while and I can't comment. Their club name seems to come up less than others and they are not a club I like or dislike.

But the whole 'their fans are' is one of a number of weird generalisations that seems to occur on football forums. It is impossible to summarise a supporter bases of thousands. It's fine in jest, but not with venom.

As regard 'plastics' that is a prejudice I have. TCF's as I call them (Third Class Fans). And Liverpool have plenty of those, but probably less so than some other clubs now.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Reported which post?

I fear I'm being whooshed here but, yes, I see the funny side of an awful lot of NSC. If I didn't I'd have quit it a long time ago instead of putting up with the occasional threats to me that come with helping to moderate it.
The lengthy one which I prompted you to write by asking what you wanted to write about Liverpool fans but didn't feel able to without all the people jumping down your throat.
I found the idea of reporting you to yourself, having literally just asked for your opinion, amusing.
I wouldn't worry. It's probably abstruse enough not to qualify as a whoosh.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The lengthy one which I prompted you to write by asking what you wanted to write about Liverpool fans but didn't feel able to without all the people jumping down your throat.
I found the idea of reporting you to yourself, having literally just asked for your opinion, amusing.
But it is that sort of thing that draws me back here day after day ;)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've learned a new word today. abstruse

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cripes ! have we overegged this just a tad ? Its a bottle or two thats all. Go back to the 70's and Birmingham City were sponsored by Auto Windscreens or similar, it was pretty much a symbiotic relationship as Birmingham were renowned for bricking opposition coaches. It was not unknown for some coaches to have no windows left at all.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Cripes ! have we overegged this just a tad ? Its a bottle or two thats all. Go back to the 70's and Birmingham City were sponsored by Auto Windscreens or similar, it was pretty much a symbiotic relationship as Birmingham were renowned for bricking opposition coaches. It was not unknown for some coaches to have no windows left at all.
They were throwing eggs too?!!

It’s a bloody outrage.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Whilst you are of course correct about the treatment of many Irish by the English, it was so bad that loads of Irish moved to England! Rather perverse in its own way don’t you think?

Quite similar in a way to the asylum seekers arriving on the south coast these days.

My family moved to England from Ireland for work purposes, a bit like the Windrush generation from the Caribbean. They were welcomed by employers for doing the work that locals did not want to do, like we have seen in the hospitality, agriculture and carehome industries in recent years (not any more though following changes in rules from James NotVery Cleverly). No blacks, no Irish was the welcome from others though.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If you ever get the chance, go to a Liverpool match a couple of hours before KO and rather than visit the Arkle pub visit the fan zone. They have a large stage with big screens and entertainers on stage. The DJ really gets the crowd going, hyping them up to a frenzy. All this hours before the game and then they anounce the arrival of the coaches and encourage fans to greet both the home and away coaches.
They are a tad obsessed by the coaches. They line the streets to welcome them. I got told by a Liverpool fan I was inconsiderate as I walked through the crowd outside, I asked why he replied the team coach was about to turn up. I laughed and told him to get a life. There he was clapping like a seal as this blacked out coach drove past.

Only time I ever bothered with the coach was years ago hoping Chris Hutchinson was giving out the comps.

In regards to Liverpool as a whole, the perception many others have of them was based on events going back to the Thatcher years and the scandals with Derek Hatton. The media had a field day "dirtying" the people of Liverpool. The representation was cast and even Bread re-enforced this to an extent. Considered to be workshy, living on benefits, nicking hubcaps, the World against them are all things levelled at them. I've always found them very loyal especially to their family and great humour often self-deprecating.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
In regards to Liverpool as a whole, the perception many others have of them was based on events going back to the Thatcher years and the scandals with Derek Hatton. The media had a field day "dirtying" the people of Liverpool. The representation was cast and even Bread re-enforced this to an extent. Considered to be workshy, living on benefits, nicking hubcaps, the World against them are all things levelled at them. I've always found them very loyal especially to their family and great humour often self-deprecating.
A few things spring to mind regarding Liverpool.
1/ Last game of the season recently 10+ football coaches were at the M6 Toll services. This included Man Utd, Palace, Brighton and others. No trouble, no alcohol, just fellow footie fans discussing the season end. Then a Liverpool coach arrives and their fans were all drunk with case loads of beer stashed in the coach. NOTE the coach was coming up the M6 to Liverpool so not liverpudlians but supporters from out of town.
2/ Arkle Pub, Anfield. The most welcoming 'home' pub ever.
3/ Only recently went to Liverpool for a weekend trip, loved it and the people. In Penny Lane we'd stopped for a photo and two, that's two separate cars, stopped to take the photo for us.

Talking to a steward Sunday as a fan was ejected from the ground (away fan I believe), she said how one person in a crowd of 60,000 can give a team a bad name.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I mean, it was you.

Playing the whole thing down by comparing it to Hillsborough.

"One bottle today means they were responsible for Hillsborough, is the narrative is it not?"
If it was just me why pretend it was lots of people?

And I was not playing the whole thing down. Not at any point. The prick deserves jail and a life ban from football.

Go back and read the thread again. I don't know what else to say to you :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If it was just me why pretend it was lots of people?

And I was not playing the whole thing down. Not at any point. The prick deserves jail and a life ban from football.

Go back and read the thread again. I don't know what else to say to you :shrug:
I didn't. Read it again. "People" is in the clause where I talk about the Marseille thread. Then there's a clause where I refer to your post.

You've used a false comparative to play down the incident. You may not have meant to, and I accept that now, but you did.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You can guarantee there's a hundred NSCer's right now pondering whether it's safe to venture out of the echo chamber and give your post a thumbs up. Like you, I don't think Liverpool fans should be given any special dispensation on an incident-by-incident basis because Hillsborough
And
The comment I objected to was "wronged by the whole country". Neither I nor anyone else has suggested a Liverpool fan chucking a bottle deserves special dispensation. No, the fucker should be locked up and banned from football.

@Guinness Boy has suggested the "wronged by the whole country" comment was made entirely because Liverpool fans boo the national anthem, and he thought he'd make a joke about this, because presumably we all know this. Personally I don't find chucking bottles a coaches remotely funny. Why anyone would want to use the booing of a national anthem to make a joke about bottle throwing is a mystery. It is not a comedy narrative that has any traction with me. I don't get the joke.

At the same time I am invited to believe that in no way was the "wronged by the whole country" quip made it because it resonates with the perception among many that Liverpool fans have spent decades banging on about being vilified for 'causing' Hillsborough (hence the 'always the victim' trope that has even been posted on NSC in the past, and which informed some comments made by Boris Johnson, for which he was forced to apologise), and that their boycotting of The Sun (which is reciprocated by Everton supporters) is pathetic. And so on. Always the victim

Personally, "wronged by the whole country" seems to map better to the 'always the victim' trope rather than something to do with booing the national anthem.

But I may be wrong and if so I apologize to @Guinness Boy for my incorrect inference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here