[Football] Bottle luzzed at Man United team bus

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What is the whitewash. That the 97 actually died through their own silly scouser fault, and then the rest of them spent 20 years milking it?

The original sneer from @Guinness Boy was "wronged by the whole country". What is the larger context for that?

Why, when some oaf chucks a bottle at a coach, is this the first thing that springs to mind? Oh yes, those scousers going on and on about Hillsborough, as if this exonerates their hub cap stealing and so on.

"Wonged by the whole country", the first think @Guinness Boy thinks of after a scouser throws a bottle. Really?

Can someone direct me to some other massive years long trope other than Hillsborough that explains the "wronged by the whole country" trope?

And you, @wellquickwoody, please explain to me the "whitewash"

Sorry if this is all just "banz" and I didn't get the joke.

And, is the bottle throwing itself funny?

Please explain what I'm not following here.
The 97 who died, did not die through any fault of their own, let’s make that clear. The Liverpool fans as a whole were exonerated of any blame by the the legal process. Many would like these facts to be accepted as the truth (which they are), the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

This is the point at which a sizeable (sometimes silent) minority take issue. We could go over individual talking points, actions, reputations again and again and we would never come to a consensus. Those who are happy with the legal findings are in my view, and some others, gullible. The fact that some people refuse to accept those findings hook, line and sinker upsets the Scouse ‘tribe’.

There are so many incidents involving both halves of Merseyside, both then and now, that it is naieve (sp) to believe that NONE of those things happened that day. The authorities have correctly been apportioned with their errors, the press did act disgracefully, hopefully one day the world will wake up to the fact that football fans back then were far from angelic, and Scousers were as bad as the rest, and had certain traits very specific to them.

No more explanations on this thread from me, the haters can carry on hating, unless that becomes a crime too of course?!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The 97 who died, did not die through any fault of their own, let’s make that clear. The Liverpool fans as a whole were exonerated of any blame by the the legal process. Many would like these facts to be accepted as the truth (which they are), the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

This is the point at which a sizeable (sometimes silent) minority take issue. We could go over individual talking points, actions, reputations again and again and we would never come to a consensus. Those who are happy with the legal findings are in my view, and some others, gullible. The fact that some people refuse to accept those findings hook, line and sinker upsets the Scouse ‘tribe’.

There are so many incidents involving both halves of Merseyside, both then and now, that it is naieve (sp) to believe that NONE of those things happened that day. The authorities have correctly been apportioned with their errors, the press did act disgracefully, hopefully one day the world will wake up to the fact that football fans back then were far from angelic, and Scousers were as bad as the rest, and had certain traits very specific to them.

No more explanations on this thread from me, the haters can carry on hating, unless that becomes a crime too of course?!
I think there are better ways of criticising (rightly) an oaf chucking a bottle at a coach than what was posted, to which I reacted.

I regret butting heads with @Guinness Boy. If there is a point where jokes and quips cross the line, then we all of course have lines in different places. I'll leave it there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What is the whitewash. That the 97 actually died through their own silly scouser fault, and then the rest of them spent 20 years milking it?

The original sneer from @Guinness Boy was "wronged by the whole country". What is the larger context for that?

Why, when some oaf chucks a bottle at a coach, is this the first thing that springs to mind? Oh yes, those scousers going on and on about Hillsborough, as if this exonerates their hub cap stealing and so on.

"Wonged by the whole country", the first think @Guinness Boy thinks of after a scouser throws a bottle. Really?

Can someone direct me to some other massive years long trope other than Hillsborough that explains the "wronged by the whole country" trope?

And you, @wellquickwoody, please explain to me the "whitewash"

Sorry if this is all just "banz" and I didn't get the joke.

And, is the bottle throwing itself funny?

Please explain what I'm not following here.
It’s a fairly obvious reference to their thinking of Liverpool as a separate nation, shown by the booing of the national anthem. Only Liverpool.

Another ‘there it is’ example. Football has been, among many other things, characterised over the years by quite cruel humour. It’s one of the things I like about it. Yet mock Liverpool, especially for mawkishness or hypocrisy, and someone will mention the H word in less than 30 seconds.

Incredible that there was a whole thread on here of people absolutely shitting themselves because Marseille attacked a Lyon coach and yet here Liverpool are being defended for the same thing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s a fairly obvious reference to their thinking of Liverpool as a separate nation, shown by the booing of the national anthem. Only Liverpool.

Another ‘there it is’ example. Football has been, among many other things, characterised over the years by quite cruel humour. It’s one of the things I like about it. Yet mock Liverpool, especially for mawkishness or hypocrisy, and someone will mention the H word in less than 30 seconds.

Incredible that there was a whole thread on here of people absolutely shitting themselves because Marseille attacked a Lyon coach and yet here Liverpool are being defended for the same thing.
Nobody is defending the bottle thrower.

Liverpool have a large Irish community which is a country that was treated very badly by England in the past, so large sections of the red side of the city do consider themselves to be Scouse.
But then, you know all this.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Liverpool have a large Irish community which is a country that was treated very badly by England in the past, so large sections of the red side of the city do consider themselves to be Scouse.
Whilst you are of course correct about the treatment of many Irish by the English, it was so bad that loads of Irish moved to England! Rather perverse in its own way don’t you think?

Quite similar in a way to the asylum seekers arriving on the south coast these days.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Whilst you are of course correct about the treatment of many Irish by the English, it was so bad that loads of Irish moved to England! Rather perverse in its own way don’t you think?

Quite similar in a way to the asylum seekers arriving on the south coast these days.
Or indeed those leaving our shores for a better life in other countries !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

I do. They're happy to live here but not be part of it. That was my point.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If you ever get the chance, go to a Liverpool match a couple of hours before KO and rather than visit the Arkle pub visit the fan zone. They have a large stage with big screens and entertainers on stage. The DJ really gets the crowd going, hyping them up to a frenzy. All this hours before the game and then they anounce the arrival of the coaches and encourage fans to greet both the home and away coaches.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The British are exceptionally good at that, especially in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and closer to home, in Spain.
Yep.

Which football teams have they taken over, do they boo the national anthem as a result and are people allowed to laugh at them for it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

That is absolute bollocks. Show me one post where people are defending bottle throwing.

'People' (me) are criticizing you for your post. That's all.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
That is absolute bollocks. Show me one post where people are defending bottle throwing.

'People' (me) are criticizing you for your post. That's all.
I mean, it was you.

Playing the whole thing down by comparing it to Hillsborough.

"One bottle today means they were responsible for Hillsborough, is the narrative is it not?"

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Liverpool FC is just a magnet for hand wringers.

Express a dislike of any other club and nobody gives a shit.

Express a dislike of Liverpool FC and within 5 minutes someone will be on telling stories about their best mate who's a scouser who's the loveliest bloke ever, how great the city is, and/or tenuously linking any negative comments back to hillsborough.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Liverpool FC is just a magnet for hand wringers.

Express a dislike of any other club and nobody gives a shit.

Express a dislike of Liverpool FC and within 5 minutes someone will be on telling stories about their best mate who's a scouser who's the loveliest bloke ever, how great the city is, and/or tenuously linking any negative comments back to hillsborough.
Absolutely.

One day we'll be able to have a sensible football debate about Liverpool Football Club in this country and on here, without someone pulling out the Hillsborough card, but yesterday wasn't it. Page one. On a thread about them attacking a team coach with a bottle.

No one else does this. Rangers don't constantly harp back to the Ibrox disaster, Bradford don't defend every last slight with references to the fire - yet both had unacceptable standards in football grounds as a partial cause too.

And no one's allowed to mention Heysel. History started in 1989.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Absolutely.

One day we'll be able to have a sensible football debate about Liverpool Football Club in this country and on here, without someone pulling out the Hillsborough card, but yesterday wasn't it. Page one. On a thread about them attacking a team coach with a bottle.

No one else does this. Rangers don't constantly harp back to the Ibrox disaster, Bradford don't defend every last slight with references to the fire - yet both had unacceptable standards in football grounds as a partial cause too.

And no one's allowed to mention Heysel. History started in 1989.
What do you want to say exactly?
"Some Liverpool fans are arseholes" or "people who throw bottles at buses should be arrested" aren't controversial positions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What do you want to say exactly?
"Some Liverpool fans are arseholes" or "people who throw bottles at buses should be arrested" aren't controversial positions.
I'd like to be able to point out that some of their fans are violent thugs without someone mentioning Hillsborough.

And to have a sensible debate at some point about the fact that they boo the national anthem and think of themselves as completely separate and yet still have England players in the squad.

We can move on to entitlement and the fact that an absolute ton of their fans have never been to Liverpool, let alone set foot in Anfield, especially if they're over 45, after that if you want, but I do have some work to do today.

There are people on NSC who are happy to call Chelsea 'chavs', Palace Nigels or Pikeys, Man U entitled and plastic who won't have a bad word said about Liverpool for fear of being seen to be on the wrong side of Hillsborough.

In fact, it would be good to be able to gently mock them like any other of the 18 clubs in the Premier League that we play. It's the South Park principle, mock absolutely everything and you're neither employing an 'ism' nor punching down. Same treatment for all. But because one of Liverpool's supposed characteristics is mawkishness it's not allowed. To extend the analogy it's Isaac Hayes' Scientology moment.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I'd like to be able to point out that some of their fans are violent thugs without someone mentioning Hillsborough.

And to have a sensible debate at some point about the fact that they boo the national anthem and think of themselves as completely separate and yet still have England players in the squad.

We can move on to entitlement and the fact that an absolute ton of their fans have never been to Liverpool, let alone set foot in Anfield, especially if they're over 45, after that if you want, but I do have some work to do today.

There are people on NSC who are happy to call Chelsea 'chavs', Palace Nigels or Pikeys, Man U entitled and plastic who won't have a bad word said about Liverpool for fear of being seen to be on the wrong side of Hillsborough.

In fact, it would be good to be able to gently mock them like any other of the 18 clubs in the Premier League that we play. It's the South Park principle, mock absolutely everything and you're neither employing an 'ism' nor punching down. Same treatment for all. But because one of Liverpool's supposed characteristics is mawkishness it's not allowed. To extend the analogy it's Isaac Hayes' Scientology moment.
Out of interest, if I'd immediately reported your reply (to erm, you) would you have seen the funny side?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports