Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Akpom

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very quick and agile. Also...erm. ..that's it.

But not sufficiently so to stay onside. In the first half Knocky did one of his tricksy runs and was left with no options, and gave a mass of gesticulation at the end of it. Not directed at anyone specifically so it seemed . . . then I realised - it was directed at the loan signing, who had not kept up or made himself avalable.

How I LOVE Sam Baldock, and may he return soon.

I didn't boo the loanee but I did not clap him when subbed off. He's going to have to pull his silken socks up bigtime before I even say his name.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Uwe barely broke out of a jog today and was the best player on the pitch. March came on and sprinted once in his 35 minutes yet changed the momentum of the game alongside Hemed. You don't need to run around a lot to be a good player.

Uwe's position is totally different.

Murray (in his 30's compared to spring chicken Akpom) and Baldock work their socks off closing opponents down. Not every time, but taking it in turns. Then we counter attack, they come alive, either initiating it or bursting a gut to support.

Akpom offered no pace or effort either when we had the ball or didn't. Shocking for a young athlete, coached to the highest level.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
if anyone else noticed Knocky and Kayal giving him an apoplectic grilling.

Knockaert told , lip readers would probably confirm, Murray to F off at Leeds when he complained he didn't pass at one crucial point.
Swearing in English was the first thing i thought.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Can't understand all this "he's a Brighton player" stuff :shrug:

He's not a Brighton player, thank fvck. Doubt if he considers himself to be a Brighton player either. Bet he tells anyone who's interested he's an Arsenal player - and his performances reflect that.

Fans have a sixth sense for when they are being shortchanged - not by ability, but by effort and commitment.

Spot on.

A passenger passing through the club.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I didn't boo, but it was a pathetic performance from a lucky, lucky boy. He should bank every penny, save everything he earns from this contract and the inevitable contract with a crap Championship club when he's a free agent, because he'll disappear down the leagues within the next few years.

He is rubbish, and it didn't look like he tried today, but if he's on the pitch there's a chance he might score us a goal, which could be crucial.

We have already had our god-sent quota, for this decade, of players who score with their face, sadly.

Stumpy Tim

I didn't boo him, but I have to say I won't criticise anyone who did - first time I've said that to be honest. Here we are, 8 games from promotion to the Premier League and all the riches it brings. We have a chairman who has ploughed £1/4bn into the club for this moment. We have a squad players who have worked tirelessly after coming so close last season. I LOVE this club, I love the togtherness & the desire towards one goal.

And then Akpom comes in, can't be bothered to chase anything, & jogs around for an hour. I'm sorry chump, this is too important for any Billy Big Bollox to f*ck around. If you don't want to be part of it, get out of my club

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
I didn't boo, but it was a pathetic performance from a lucky, lucky boy. He should bank every penny, save everything he earns from this contract and the inevitable contract with a crap Championship club when he's a free agent, because he'll disappear down the leagues within the next few years.

He is rubbish, and it didn't look like he tried today, but if he's on the pitch there's a chance he might score us a goal, which could be crucial.

Absolutely this. I didn't boo I just cheered even more furiously for Tomer, but I can see why some people felt angry enough to boo as not only was he shocking, the effort he put in was nothing short of pathetic. Exactly what we don't need at this stage of the season in these types of tight games.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Must do better then. FA coaching badges, been watching and running teams for years, oh and watching Brighton for 44 years. Know f@@k all me :dunce::dunce:

Been watching the Albion for 48 years and, to be fair, subtle analysis is not necessarily the inevitable product of longevity. I think the chap you rebut is right, for what its worth. If a little rude. But I know very little. And am often very rude myself. :cheers:

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Akpom has , agreed, not much made of a contribution and looked out of sorts today.
Hemed, Murray and Baldock though have scored hatfuls of goals , won us loads of points including today and will probably get us promoted. Gayle and Wood aside then ask every other team in the league if they'd fancy our forward line...

Sorry, I meant weak if we go up as I don't think Hemed is up to the Premier League (I know I will probably get flamed for saying that). That leaves us with one ageing striker who is good for another season but maybe not every game at that level plus Baldock who is very unproven at that level and this is the best season he has had at Championship level.

Don't get me wrong we have an amazing team but when we go up I think we need another two top quality strikers if we want to stay up.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I didn't boo him, but I have to say I won't criticise anyone who did - first time I've said that to be honest. Here we are, 8 games from promotion to the Premier League and all the riches it brings. We have a chairman who has ploughed £1/4bn into the club for this moment. We have a squad players who have worked tirelessly after coming so close last season. I LOVE this club, I love the togtherness & the desire towards one goal.

And then Akpom comes in, can't be bothered to chase anything, & jogs around for an hour. I'm sorry chump, this is too important for any Billy Big Bollox to f*ck around. If you don't want to be part of it, get out of my club

One of those rare occasions where the ability to only give one "thumbs up" is about 99 too few.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Didn't boo him myself but can totally understand it from others. Crucial game, as they all are for us now. We needed every player to chase and play hard. He did not do this, even Knocky had a pop at him for not chasing defenders. We would have got 10 times more commitment from a young squad member and it's just not good enough to see a prem player going through the motions in one of our shirts. If the boos let him know that he has got to step up or f**k off back to London, then fair enough.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He deserved to be booed, disgraceful performance from him. I can forgive most things, but a complete lack of effort cannot be excused.

I don't boo our players but I completely understand why he was booed. Surprised he even came out for the second half.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Lowest point of the day for me. He was shit, yes. Or as the bloke near us put it "get off you sack of shit". But boo him? Why? I'll never understand that mentality. I personally don't think we need fans like that. And they are in for a shock if we go up as more often than not our players will look ordinary next year.

Man up.

How exactly is 'get off, you sack of shit' any better than booing him?

And if we go up and fall short, I don't think we'll hear booing. I can't recall hearing booing when we went up to the Championship at Withdean and were patently out of our depth, because Charlie, Chippie, Cullip et al. always showed up and fought for everything.

I think this is about effort and desire to support your team mates, which was never in evidence from Akpom today. You could see Knockaert's frustration and I think the fans felt it too.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Yeah people behind me in the North stand booed him when he got subbed. Not on at all , just annoying they are more interested in booing him than Blackburns players when they were down time wasting

How dare you criticise the North Stand Mafia. They, and only they, set the agenda. Standing - Tick. Snidey chants at the East Standers who put their phone lights on - Tick. Boo your own players - Tick. Yep, all present and correct.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
How exactly is 'get off, you sack of shit' any better than booing him?

And if we go up and fall short, I don't think we'll hear booing. I can't recall hearing booing when we went up to the Championship at Withdean and were patently out of our depth, because Charlie, Chippie, Cullip et al. always showed up and fought for everything.

I think this is about effort and desire to support your team mates, which was never in evidence from Akpom today. You could see Knockaert's frustration and I think the fans felt it too.

Oh yes, completely this. The lack of desire to support your team mates was far more offensive to me than the booing that occurred.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont agree with booing him but he was terrible and offered nothing, no effort no ability and didnrt even close their defenders down to stop them playing The only surprise was that he lasted as long as he did before being hauled off.

Lush

Mods' Pet
He's only 9 months younger than Solly March, but years younger in terms of desire and footballing nous.

He ran backwards and forwards like a puppy chasing a ball for the first 15 mins, then seemed to lose interest. He didn't compete. He didn't make any runs. Even when there was a break on, he was jogging along like his presence in the box didn't actually matter.

It was like 'Take your son to work day'. All the gear but no idea. I didn't boo him. But I felt like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here