Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bobby Zamora, would you want him back?

Bobby Zamora

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I wonder if there is a player who has changed his game quite as much as Zamora over his career.

The difference from when he was with us is crazy.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Anyone who cannot see that Bobby Zamora would add massively to our current squad's combined skill-set, needs to find a new hobby.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Of course. He's still pretty good, and would fit Hughtons system well. I'd be delighted if we signed him.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I've thought about this now in depth, considered our current crop of pedestrian, short-sighted strikers with an abysmal record during the season.
I've re-evaluated Bobby's effort in getting QPR into the promised land, his excellent strike a few weeks ago and his great relationship with the BHA fans from yesteryear.
Definitely No from me.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I wonder if Wardy fancies a start as well? Seriously, we are starting a new period with an already aging squad and people want to spend a significant portion of our wage bill on a player who can no longer play 90 mins let alone 3 times a week!

Would I like to see Bobby on the bench, on a cheap wage? Of course, but this is not the answer, we need someone capable, young and going to get better. If we have to go abroad and take a chance on someone so be it.

He won't come for peanuts and we shouldn't pay him anymore than that. If we had a top drawer striker and we needed a player to rotate / rest that guy than BZ fits the bill, we don't and he doesn't...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone who cannot see that Bobby Zamora would add massively to our current squad's combined skill-set, needs to find a new hobby.
But nobody is talking about the current squad, are they?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I wonder if Wardy fancies a start as well? Seriously, we are starting a new period with an already aging squad and people want to spend a significant portion of our wage bill on a player who can no longer play 90 mins let alone 3 times a week!

Let's dispel this myth that Bobby is some kind of Paul Kitson/Kemy Agustien/Ledley King injury nightmare these days.

Some stats

Bobby Zamora:
Games started 14/15 season: 18 (13 as sub)
Minutes played when starting: 1437
Minutes played as sub: 346
Total minutes played in 14/15 so far: 1783
Average minutes when starting: 79.8
Average minutes when sub: 26.6
Average minutes overall: 57.5
QPR games in 14/15 to date: 36 (3240 minutes of football)
Percentage of minutes Zamora on pitch for: 55%
Goals: 3

Chris O'Grady:
Games started 14/15 season: 19 (13 as sub) + 4 starts for Sheffield United
Minutes played when starting: 1538 + 293 for Sheff Utd
Minutes played as sub: 287
Total minutes played in 14/15 so far: 2118
Average minutes when starting: Excluding Sheff Utd 80.9, Including Sheff Utd 79.6
Average minutes when sub: 22
Average minutes overall: Excluding Sheff Utd 57.03, Including Sheff Utd 58.8
Brighton games in 14/15 to date: 51 (4620 minutes of football)
Percentage of minutes O'Grady on pitch for: 39.5% Including game time for Sheff Utd: 45.8%
Goals: 3 + 1 for Sheff Utd

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
He's been starting near enough week in, week out for QPR recently. Can't see them letting him go to us sadly.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Interestingly, Bobby stalled on signing a new contract at QPR last July because the terms were significantly reduced.

If QPR do go down, they may do so again, giving us a better bargaining position to bring him back.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Interestingly, Bobby stalled on signing a new contract at QPR last July because the terms were significantly reduced.

If QPR do go down, they may do so again, giving us a better bargaining position to bring him back.

Even if his terms were significantly reduced again, we couldn't compete. Parachute payments are there for a reason.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Let's dispel this myth that Bobby is some kind of Paul Kitson/Kemy Agustien/Ledley King injury nightmare these days.

Some stats

Bobby Zamora:
Games started 14/15 season: 18 (13 as sub)
Minutes played when starting: 1437
Minutes played as sub: 346
Total minutes played in 14/15 so far: 1783
Average minutes when starting: 79.8
Average minutes when sub: 26.6
Average minutes overall: 57.5
QPR games in 14/15 to date: 36 (3240 minutes of football)
Percentage of minutes Zamora on pitch for: 55%
Goals: 3

Chris O'Grady:
Games started 14/15 season: 19 (13 as sub) + 4 starts for Sheffield United
Minutes played when starting: 1538 + 293 for Sheff Utd
Minutes played as sub: 287
Total minutes played in 14/15 so far: 2118
Average minutes when starting: Excluding Sheff Utd 80.9, Including Sheff Utd 79.6
Average minutes when sub: 22
Average minutes overall: Excluding Sheff Utd 57.03, Including Sheff Utd 58.8
Brighton games in 14/15 to date: 51 (4620 minutes of football)
Percentage of minutes O'Grady on pitch for: 39.5% Including game time for Sheff Utd: 45.8%
Goals: 3 + 1 for Sheff Utd

Not sure this does dispel the myth really?

These stats say he has started in only half of QPR's games this season. This is a team with no european games so is playing what 40-42 games in a season? We will play 50 plus next year. If we were to bring him back on the sort of wages he would want, it would surely have to be as a starter? That means playing 3 games a week, week in week out. The Championship is a very hard league on the legs as we have found out too many times this season. Could Bobby do that and at a standard that would make a difference? A tough ask for any 34 year old, let alone one who has the miles on the clock that Bobby has.

He is likely to want too much money to be a squad player so we have to consider him signing as a starter. He has also scored the princely sum of 3 goals according to that data you provided. I'll concede that he would be dropping down a league, which might increase his return but it doesn't suggest he would fire us out of the Championship does it?

Again his all round play has improved a lot and I would expect him to create chances for others, but with the AM / wide players we have currently would you back them to take those chances? If we are going to blow a lot of money on a lone striker someone in the vein of Darren Bent makes far more sense. I know we won't sign him but a player who is going to get on the end of things and score is what we require, rather than a creator for others. We are not going to play two up front and people are going to have to get used to it.

Bobby was and is a player who can rightly be considered an all time great for the Albion, but he is the wrong player at the wrong time unless he is prepared to sit on the bench as a sub, which I very much doubt. IMO at least...

He is better than what we have, but that doesn't make him the right signing...

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Not sure this does dispel the myth really?

These stats say he has started in only half of QPR's games this season. This is a team with no european games so is playing what 40-42 games in a season? We will play 50 plus next year. If we were to bring him back on the sort of wages he would want, it would surely have to be as a starter? That means playing 3 games a week, week in week out. The Championship is a very hard league on the legs as we have found out too many times this season. Could Bobby do that and at a standard that would make a difference? A tough ask for any 34 year old, let alone one who has the miles on the clock that Bobby has.

He is likely to want too much money to be a squad player so we have to consider him signing as a starter. He has also scored the princely sum of 3 goals according to that data you provided. I'll concede that he would be dropping down a league, which might increase his return but it doesn't suggest he would fire us out of the Championship does it?

Again his all round play has improved a lot and I would expect him to create chances for others, but with the AM / wide players we have currently would you back them to take those chances? If we are going to blow a lot of money on a lone striker someone in the vein of Darren Bent makes far more sense. I know we won't sign him but a player who is going to get on the end of things and score is what we require, rather than a creator for others. We are not going to play two up front and people are going to have to get used to it.

Bobby was and is a player who can rightly be considered an all time great for the Albion, but he is the wrong player at the wrong time unless he is prepared to sit on the bench as a sub, which I very much doubt. IMO at least...

He is better than what we have, but that doesn't make him the right signing...

He won't be prolific, but will create for our main striker (Baldock or a new signing).

He would play more regularly than Kevin Phillips, when he helped Palace and Leicester up in consecutive seasons. An experienced target man like Bobby is a key ingredient of a promotion push.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
NO NO NO NO, NO he's 34 nearly, why would you want him back and ruin the memories FFS ?????

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Zamora
Ulloa Clone
Baldock
Another striker

would hopefully be a decent set of strikers for the squad.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
He won't be prolific, but will create for our main striker (Baldock or a new signing).

He would play more regularly than Kevin Phillips, when he helped Palace and Leicester up in consecutive seasons. An experienced target man like Bobby is a key ingredient of a promotion push.

That assumes that Houghton will play two upfront. I just cannot see that, he barely does it when we are trailing with 5 mins to go. I'm glad we are having a sensible conversation about it (all too rare here) but I'm sorry IMO you are wrong. Off the bench, sure I can see that, if he's happy with it great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here